Wanhua District, Taipei City
Wanhua is the oldest district of Taipei, home to many historic buildings, such as the Longshan Temple and the Red House Theater. Ximending is the "harajuku of Taipei", a shopping neighbourhood centred around teenager fashion, Japanese culture and subcultures.
Wanhua took its name from a backformation into Chinese from the Japanese name "Banka" (萬華), which was a Japanese transliteration of the Taiwanese Hokkien name for the area: "Báng-kah khu" (艋舺區). The district was previously referred to as "Monga" or "Monka", and is one of the oldest districts in Taipei. As a result of this, there are a significant number of historical buildings dotted around the area.
By Intercity Train
Wanhua Station (萬華車站) connects to the TRA train network which allows travellers to access most major cities in Taiwan.
Wanhua is served by the blue Bannan Line of the Taipei Metro. The bounds useful for tourists are primarily between Ximen station, and Longshan Temple Station.
- Bopiliao Old Street (剝皮寮歷史街區), Lane 173, Kangding Road, Wanhua District (萬華區康定路173巷), ☎ +886 2 2308 2966, . Tues - Sun, 9am - 9pm. Bopiliao Old Street has a lot of interesting shops - it is a restored section of Old Taipei with unique architecture. edit
- Bangka Old Street (艋舺老街), Section 2, Guiyang St, Wanhua District (萬華區貴陽街二段), . 24 hours. edit
- Lungshan Temple of Manka, Lungshan Temple, No. 211, Guangzhou Street, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 10853, ☎ +886 2 2302 5162, . edit
- The Red House (西門紅樓), No. 10, Chengdu Road, Wanhua District (萬華區成都路10號), ☎ +886 2 2311 9380, . Tues 2pm - 9:30pm, Wed 11am - 9:30pm, Thurs 11am - 9:30pm, Fri 11am - 10pm, Sat 11am - 10pm, Sun 11am - 9:30pm. A charming old red brick building housing a number of small stalls selling Taiwan-made crafts. edit
Lungshan Temple, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan
- Longshan Temple (龍山寺), No. 211, Guangzhou Street, Wanhua District (萬華區廣州街211號), ☎ +886 2 2302 5162, . One of the most famous temples in the city. The temple is easily accessible from the MRT station that bears its name. edit
- Monga Dizang Temple (艋舺地藏王廟), No. 245號, Xichang Street, Wanhua District (萬華區西昌街245號), ☎ +886 2 2306 6352. edit
An old train on display at Tangbu Cultural Park
- Tangbu Park (糖廍公園), 15, Lane 175, Dali Street, Wanhua District (萬華區大理街175巷15號號), ☎ +886 2 2303 2451. 24 hours. edit
- Huazhong Riverside Park (華中河濱公園), ☎ +886 2 2725 8149. 24 hours. edit
- Shuangyuan Riverside Park (雙園河濱公園), ☎ +886 2 2725 8149. 24 hours. Bikes can be rented from a shop near the eastern end of the park. edit
- Taipei Cinema Park (臺北市電影主題公園), No. 19, Kangding Road, Wanhua District (萬華區康定路19號), ☎ +886 2 2312 3717. 24 hours. A park in the northern part of the district featuring graffiti murials, and outdoor areas for watching films. edit
- Youth Park (青年公園), No. 199號, Shuiyuan Road, Wanhua District (萬華區水源路199號), ☎ +886 2 2303 2451. 24 hours. A large park featuring play equipment for children. edit
- Snake Alley Night Market (華西街夜市), Huaxi Street, Wanhua District (萬華區華西街), ☎ +886 2 2388 1818. Mon - Sun, 4pm - Midnight. Also known as "Huaxi Night Market", the covered street market runs from near the Longshan Temple. The market takes its name from the plethora of snake and turtle restaurants which used to make up a large number of the stalls along it, although few remain. edit
- Guangzhou Street Night Market (廣州街觀光夜市), Guangzhou Street, Wanhua District (萬華區廣州街). daily, 6am - 10pm. edit
Ximending Pedestrian Zone main alley at night.
- Ximending Pedestrian Zone (西門町夜市), 127, Hanzhong Street, Wanhua District (萬華區漢中街127號). daily 11am - 11pm. While not really a night market since it's open almost all day, it is a more up-market area than most of the markets in the city and features a number of higher-priced shops, international brands, and restaurants. edit
- Tiantianli Restaurant (天天利美食坊), 108, Taiwan, Taipei City, Wanhua District (漢中街32巷1號), ☎ +886 2 2375 6299. edit
- Lao Shandong Homemade Noodles, 70 Xining Rd, Wanhua District (萬華區西寧南路70號B1之15室), ☎ +886 2 2389 1216. Mon - Sun, 10:30am - 9:30am. Local restaurant specialising in Shandong-style beef noodles. edit
- Du Li Beef Noodle Restaurant, No. 31, Section 2, Guiyang St, Wanhua District (萬華區貴陽街二段31號), ☎ +886 981 738 089. edit
- ?BREAKFAST! (標點符號夢想早午餐), 49 Xichang Street, Wanhua District (萬華區西昌街49號), ☎ +886 2 2331 7995. Mon - Sun, 7am - 2:50pm. A cosy breakfast restaurant in Ximen district. The menu is available in both English and Chinese. edit
- So Free Pizza, No. 1, Lane 50, Xining South Road, Wanhua District (萬華區西寧南路50巷1號), ☎ +886 2 2314 6225, . Mon - Sun, noon - 9pm. A vegan pizzaria with menus available in English. edit
- Ji Yuan Vegetarian (吉緣素食), 15, Lane 109, Section 3, Heping West Road (萬華區和平西路三段109巷15號), ☎ +886 2 2308 7717. Mon - Sun, 10L30am - 8pm. edit
- Modern Toilet Restaurant (便所主題餐廳), No. 7, Lane 50, Xining South Road, Wanhua District (萬華區50巷西寧南路7號), ☎ +886 2 2311 8822, . Sun - Thurs, 11am - 9pm, Fri & Sat, 11am - 9:30pm. One of a chain of restaurants which serve their food in dishes shaped like toilets. edit
- Ximen Beer Bar (酒肆西門), No. 83-2號, Section 2, Wuchang St, Wanhua District (萬華區武昌街二段83-2號), ☎ +886 2 2331 1145. Sun - Thur, 6pm - 1am, Fri & Sat, 5pm - 2:30am. edit
- Hero Bar, Taipei, 2/F, 15-2 Kunming St, Wanhua District (萬華區昆明街15-2號2樓), ☎ +886 2 2388 0876. Tue - Thur & Sun, 9pm - 3am, Fri & Sat, 9pm - 4am. A popular local gay bar. edit
- Geography Bar, 4/F, 92-2 Kunming St, Wanhua District (萬華區昆明街92-2號4樓), ☎ +886 2 2331 0255. 7pm - 3am (2am on Thur & Sun), closed on Mon. edit
- EFCA Hotel Group (愛客發商旅集團), No. 64, Section 1, Hankou Street, Municipality 100, ([email protected]), . The EFCA Hotel Group is located in Taipei's Ximending district, about a 5 minute walk from the Ximen MRT station.Nearby activities include shopping, movies, concerts and dining. TWD1000-5000. edit
- WESTGATE Hotel (永安棧), No. 150, Section1, Zhonghua Road (near Ximen MRT staion), ([email protected]), . Located in the heart of the energetic Ximending, WESTGATE is steps away from trendy boutiques, unique shops and restaurants, and other upscale establishments and cultural attractions. TWD4000-6000. edit