In the City West district of Sydney is Broadway, Ultimo and Pyrmont, but not Glebe or Newtown which is in the Inner West. It lies between the City South, Darling Harbour and the Inner West. It contains Star City, and Pyrmont Bay, including Harris St.
The light-rail system that skirts the western side of Darling Harbour, and then runs past the Casino and the Fish Markets. It is an easy way of accessing the area if you are coming through Central Station, where the line commences. It runs 24/7 between Central Station and Casino stations, other stations have services every 10 minutes between 6AM and 11PM (midnight on Fri/Sat).
If coming from the City Centre, the 443 bus is your friend. The bus travels from George St in the City Centre, doing a loop around the entire Pyrmont and Ultimo area, before returning to the City Centre. Get back on where you got off. The bus runs every 10-15 minutes from around 6am until midnight.
If you are enthusiastic, the whole area can be walked from most points in the City Centre in 30 minutes or so, and less from Darling Harbour.
- Powerhouse Museum, 500 Harris Street, Ultimo (If walking, follow the signs from Darling Harbour near the Exhibition Centre. If driving, access via Harris St), ☎ +61 2 9217 0111, . 10AM-5PM daily. The Powerhouse Museum is a large museum, essentially of popular culture. It has displays on the history of fashion and transport, decorative arts, music, and space exploration exhibits. It also partly plays on a sci-tech theme, with interactive hands-on and discovery displays of technology, design and industry There is usually a special exhibition on as well. There are in-depth displays for all ages, but also displays especially created for young children to discover and play. $15 adults, $8 children. edit
- The Star, 80 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont (Alight at The Star light rail station, take bus 443 from Circular Quay or follow signs from Darling Harbour), ☎ +61 2 9777 9000, . The Star, formerly called Star City casino, is an impressive structure along Pyrmont Bay. It includes a casino, restaurants and hotels. edit
- Ikebana Japanese flower arranging class, Glebe Point Road, . Learn the ancient Japanese art of Ikebana flower arranging with an experienced Japanese florist, in a fun and relaxing workshop 75. edit
- Sydney Fish Market, Bank Street, Pyrmont, ☎ +61 2 9004-1100 (fax: +61 2 9004-1177), . Wholesale auctions from 5:30AM, retail from 7:00AM daily. The Fish Market is both a trade market for retailers and a place for the general public to get their hands on the day's catch. The fish market has a number of vendors who will cook your fish for you. An early lunch at the fish markets is a local institution. However, bring more money as the prices are generally high and do come early--it gets really crowded around lunchtime. Tenants start to close around 4pm (weekends 5pm), although one or two restaurants open till 11pm. A seafood school is also located within the Fish Market; prices range between $90-$135 depending on the length of the class. Contact them at +61 2 9004 1111 or complete the enrolment form online at http://www.sydneyfishmarket.com.au/seafood-school/how-to-enrol edit
- Viva Goa, 2-4 Scott Street, Pyrmont, ☎ +61 2 9566-1311. A small Goan restaurant. Try their vindaloo, and ask for a table outside if the weather is right, because it gets noisy inside. Mains $15. edit
- The Little Snail, 50 Murray Street Pyrmont, ☎ +61 2 9212 7512. Where else can you have Kangaroo marinated and cooked in a French mustard sauce? Try the snails for starter Does a 3 course lunch menu, including escargot, for $32. edit
The City West pubs are tend to be quieter and less pretentious than those to the east of the city. There nearly a pub on every block, where you can get a seat and have a meal, and maybe watch a sporting match on the big screen, or have a game of pool. The crowd tends to be a blend of locals, longer stay backpackers, and a few Sydneysiders from outside the area.
However, the area surrounding the Casino and the street linking the Casino to Darling Harbour has a more active vibe.
- Star City Casino
- Pyrmont Arms
Darling Harbour is just next door, with a selection of upmarket accommodation.
All the pubs have accommodation, varying in quality, offering a real alternative style from the normal city accommodation.
Star City has the obligatory large hotel rising above the Casino. Don't expect the kind of accommodation deals you would find in Las Vegas however, unless you quality for admission to the Inner Sanctum.
- Best Western Casula, 667 Hume Highway, Casula Sydney NSW 2170, ☎ 02 9822 5807, . Newly refurbished accommodation. Fully equipped with a wide range of facilities to ensure your stay is pleasant and restful. From free WiFi access, on-site parking, guest laundry & breakfast. Rooms starting at $124 124. edit
The rest of the city is just at your eastern doorstep, but if you have made it this far west, why not keep going to Sydney's nner West. Still plenty of restaurants and cafes, with a more inner-city residential feel. Simply hop on to the light rail to head on.