Sumbawa Besar is a city in Sumbawa in Nusa Tenggara, eastern Indonesia.
Tiara Mas offers daily direct transfers to Sumbawa Besar from Mataram for Rp 70.000. Leaves 9AM, 12 noon, 3PM and 7PM. Takes 7 hours. Including ferry. Tiara Mas office Mataram: Jl. Pejanggik 108a Phone: 0370642597. Office Sumbawa Besar Jl. Yos Sudarso Depan Kodim. Phone 037121241.
You can also book for Tiara Mas from the Perama office in Senggigi for 125.000 including pickup from your hotel with transfer to Mataram.
Buses from the west (Poto Tano and Taliwang) will stop on the bus terminal, far from the central area hotels and the airport. Bemos (small vans) cover the distance to the center of the town for 5,000 rp per person (extra might be charged for luggage).
There are a lot of bemos in the city. Just catch one it cost only 2.000 - 4.000 Rp.
- Warung Samantha, Jl Hasanuddin, near Hotel Suci. Usually busy with locals, they offer goat (kambing) and chicken (ayam) sates and a few other side dishes. Sates are served with peanut sauce, sweet soy sauce and sliced red onions. You will smell the grilled meats from a distance before seeing the restaurant. 15,000.
- Cipta Sari Bakery, 47 Jalan Hassanudin. a great place for breakfast snacks, traditional Indonesian cakes and Western style sweets like rum balls. Their lumpia and spring rolls are delicious Eric and his wife, Leah, are lovely people, enjoy meeting travellers and know everything about the local area.
- Hotel Tambora, Jl Kebayan. Has rooms for 135.000 (Oct 2015) with aircon and tv, incl. breakfast. Beds ok. Nothing glamorous, but quiet and friendly staff. From 135.000.
- Hotel Cendrawasi, Jl Cendrawasi, ☎ 0371 24184. Far away from any mosque and thus a good choice for those who want to sleep long. Friendly staff. Wi-Fi and breakfast included. 100.000 (Ekonomi, Oct 2015) to 225.000 (VIP).
- Hotel Suci, Jl Hasanuddin 57. checkout: before 12am. This hotel is next to one mosque so expect some noise in the night. The Ekonomi-Rooms are with fans, located in a patio with a nice small garden and ok for 1-2 nights. The more expensive rooms are not better, just with aircon. No Wi-Fi or breakfast included. 100.000-200.000.
- Pondok Daun Homestay, Kauman RT 001/01, ☎ +6281230559812, . Clean rooms and bathrooms with A/C, TV, WiFi, hot water. Located in quiet area, friendly staff. around 250.000, could be less for longer stay. (-8.4754295,117.4029723)
There are 'tours and travels' that arrange transport to the West, including Mataram on Lombok (includes ferry). For addresses of the offices see the 'get in' section. They don't offer any transport to Bima. If you want to go to Bima, Lakey or Hu'u take an ocek to Sumur Payung bus terminal (8.000 - 10.000). There you can take a bus to Bima (80.000, about 9 hours, 1 stop). For Lakey change bus in Dompu.