Stillwater is in the Frontier Country region of Oklahoma and home of Oklahoma State University.
From the Oklahoma City area, Stillwater can be reached in an hour's drive by travelling north on I-35 and then travelling east on Highway 51. The Cimarron Turnpike serves as the major thoroughfare to reach Stillwater from the Tulsa area, and Stillwater can be reached within an hour-and-a-half using this route.
The Stillwater Airport provides air service for civil aviation planes.
Stillwater, with its relatively small size and excellent pedestrian and public transportation systems, is an extremely easy city to get around. Oklahoma State University began operation of a small bus mass transit system in 1997 that has grown considerably and now serves all of Stillwater. Fares are free to OSU students, faculty, and staff, and only 50¢ cents for the general public (25¢ for seniors and children). The buses serve all of the Stillwater area, including recreational areas such as Boomer Lake. The bus system is astoundingly well-run, and very efficient. For more information on the bus, visit http://www.parking.okstate.edu/RoutesAndMaps.htm
Stillwater is also easily navigated by car, and the city has several car rental agencies. Highway 51 (6th Street) provides Stillwater's main crosstown East-West route, and US-177 (Perkins Rd.) serves as the main North-South route. Both offer quick travel from one end of the city to the other.
Stillwater is fairly pedestrian-friendly, especially nearer to the downtown district, but lacks in handicap accessibility in the residential areas, especially near the Oklahoma State campus. The city is small enough to be completely pedestrian accessible, however increasing sprawl is making it less and less of a viable option. If no other personal transportation is available, the easiest way to get around is a combination of the bus system and walking.
- Old Central. Old Central is the oldest remaining building on OSU's campus and is made of Oklahoma sandstone. It is admired locally for its turn-of-the-century architecture. edit
The campus of Oklahoma State University is mostly located in between University Ave., Knoblock Ave., and Hall of Fame Ave.
Catch Big 12 Conference athletic events featuring the OSU Cowboys or Cowgirls. A schedule of events can be found here[]
- 17B Clothing, 106 W 10th Ave. Located just off of Main Street on 10th, 17B offers some awesome made-in-house unique clothing catering to the fashion-minded and "indie" styles. edit
- Chapters, OSU Student Union. Located within the OSU Student Union, Chapters is a small bookstore with a surprisingly good selection of books. edit
- Eskimo Joe's Clothes, located just to the west of the restaurant, is the place to buy a Joe's shirt and other memoribilia.
- Eskimo Joe's, 501 W. Elm, is the most famous restaurant and bar in town. It serves American style food and at night changes to a bar setting with live musical acts performing regularly. It is also part of the Three Amigos, along with
- Joseppi's at 223 E Hall of Fame Ave and
- Mexico Joe's at 311 E Hall of Fame.
- Freddie Paul's Steakhouse, 1707 E 6th Ave.
- Hideaway Pizza, 230 S Knoblock, is Oklahoma’s oldest pizzeria founded in 1957.
- Bad Brad's BBQ, 3317 E 6th.
- El Tapitio, 825 S Perkins Rd.,
- El Tapitio, 1711 N Boomer,
- El Vaquero Mexican Restaurant, 5020 W 6th Avenue
- Kyoto, 2021 N Boomer Road
- Red Rock Bakery & Deli, 910 N Boomer Road
- Red Rock Bakery & Deli, 710 S Main (upstairs in Kinzington Court)
- Tokyo Pot, 108 W 10th Ave
- Mom's Place, 2110 S Main, this is one of the best local flavor restaurant's you will find in Oklahoma.
- Sushi House, 1006 S Main, One of those hidden gems. Can eat a totally vegetarian meal. For midscale sushi one of the best values anywhere in the country.
- Crepe Myrtle, 425 S Washington, Best place to eat on the strip. Good food and good service.
- Coney Island, 223 S Washington, A favorite hang out on the strip. Good coney's for an OK price.
- Shortcakes, Main Street and Hall of fame. Best greasy spoon in Stillwater. Open 24 hours. Great after a long night of drinking on the strip. Cheap, too.
Bars and Taverns
- Eskimo Joe's has four bars inside the restaurant to serve the crowds of thirsty college students who frequent the establishment. A popular drink to order is the Skylab Fallout, but be careful!
- Stonewall Tavern, (famous for being the location of Garth Brooks' getting boo'd off stage open mike night)
- Finnegan's Fighting Goat, an Irish pub with a large beer selection located in the heart of downtown
- The Strip, is a length of Washington St. between University Ave. and Sixth St. that is the home to many bars including:
- Copper Penny,
- Dirty's Tavern,
- J.R. Murphy's,
- Cross-Eyed Cricket,
- The Rusty Spur,
- Willie's Saloon, (famous for being the location of Garth Brooks' first public performance)
- Aspen Coffee, 111 W 7th Ave (Downtown), ☎ +1 (405) 377-5282, . A lively coffee house and roastery, offering fresh roasted coffee, espresso drinks, smoothies, and light cafe fare edit
- Atherton Hotel at OSU, OSU Student Union
- Best Western, 600 E McElroy Rd.
- Days Inn, 5010 W 6th Ave.
- Fairfield Inn, 418 E Hall of Fame Ave.
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 717 E Hall of Fame Ave.
- Holiday Inn, 2515 W 6th Ave.
- Relax Inn and Suites, 2313 W. 6th Ave.
- Boomer Lake provides recreation closer to Stillwater, located within Stillwater to the North on Main Street. Picnic areas, a disc golf course, and a lake with multi-use trails provides many recreational opportunities.
- Lake Carl Blackwell is a popular outdoor recreation area about 10 minutes West of Stillwater on Highway 51. Camping, horse trails, boating, fishing, and other activities are available. http://www.lcb.okstate.edu/
- Lake McMurtry is Stillwater's third major lake, located about 10 minutes Northwest of Stillwater. Lake McMurtry provides many recreational opportunities, as well, and is particularly known for its extensive mountain biking trails.
- Hoyt Park a smallish park located in Stillwater. has a disc golf course, walking trails, and baseball diamond, as well as large green belts good for a variety of activities
- Oklahoma City lies a short hour's drive Southwest of Stillwater and is a popular destination among Stillwater residents on the weekends.
- Tulsa is Oklahoma's second major city and is also very close, being only an hour-and-a-half drive Northeast of Stillwater.