Sterling is in Loudoun County Virginia, within the United States of America.
Virginia State Route 7 runs through Sterling, which can also be reached from Interstate Route 66 by taking the Rt. 28, Sully Road exit North. Rt. 28 leads to Rt. 7, thence east to Sterling.
- Dulles International Airport, (IATA: IAD). Located partially in Sterling, the airport is a hub of United, and offers service to many national and international destinations. Access, via major thruway, is best along Rt. 28 (Sully Road) and Rt. 267 (toll road), or the Dulles Access Rd. There is no rail service, though a new MetroRail line is planned, and the airport can be reached from L'Enfant Plaza in downtown Washington, D.C. by taking Metrobus 5A. 
- Other nearby airports include National (IATA: DCA), Baltimore/Washington International (IATA: BWI), and Richmond (IATA: RIC).
Private planes can land at Leesburg Municipal Airport (JYO), 15 miles north-west of Sterling. Full service is available; runway length is 5,500 feet. Approach to JYO requires special procedures due to the Washington Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA). Contact Potomac Approach Control on 126.1 MHz.
Bus service is provided by the Virginia Regional Transit Authority. It is called "7 to 7 on 7", meaning that busses run from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Rt. 7.
Taxi and limo service are available.
Major rental car companies can be found on the grounds of Dulles International Airport, with shuttles direct from the main terminal. There are also two Enterprise locations in Sterling, one on Virginia State Route 7 near the Fairfax County line  , and one on Woodland Road near Claude Moore Park  .
- National Air and Space Museum, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. 14390 Air & Space Museum Pkwy. Chantilly, VA 20151 +1 202 357-2200.  Located near Dulles International Airport, this companion facility of the National Air and Space Museum houses air and spacecraft including an SR-71 "Blackbird" spy plane, a Concorde supersonic jet, and the space shuttle "Discovery". Admission is free. Parking is available for $15/vehicle.
- Algonkian Regional Park, 47001 Fairway Drive, . Miniature golf, swimming pool complex, golf, cottage rentals, soccer fields, and more on Potomac River waterfront. edit
- Bike, walk, or rollerblade on the Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD) Trail
- Visit Claude Moore Park
- Theater: The Sterling Playmakers 
- Dulles Town Center Mall, at intersection of Rt. 7 and Rt. 28
- Emilio's Brick oven pizza. 22207 Shaw Rd.
- Don Corleone's Brick oven pizza. 21018 Southbank St.
- Corner Bakery Café. 46290 Cranston St.
- O'Malley's PubAmerican Irish pub. 45425 Holiday Drive
- Mokomandy, 20789 Great Falls Plaza, Unit 176, . Great Korean-Cajun fusion in modern atmosphere. edit
- Sweetwater Tavern, 45980 Waterview Plaza, ☎ 571-434-6500, . Delicious food. Call for reservations. edit
- Best Western Dulles Airport 45440 Holiday Drive, 703-471-8300, 
- Candlewood Suites Sterling, 45520 E Severn Way (Intersection of Atlantic Blvd), ☎ (703) 674-2288, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12PM. An all-suites hotel, with full kitchens including stoves and refrigerators, located just north of Dulles International Airport. Complimentary Services include guest laundry, 24-hour gym access, weekday local-area shuttle service, and High Speed Internet Access. Walking distance to shopping, restaurants, and businesses. $129+. edit
- Hyatt House Sterling/Dulles Airport-North, 45520 Dulles Plaza, ☎ +1 703 435 9002, . edit
- Fairfield Inn & Suites, 23000 Indian Creek Drive, ☎ (703) 435-5300. edit
- Marriott Courtyard Dulles Town Center, 45500 Majestic Drive, ☎ 571-434-6400, . Complimentary airport/local shuttle, wired/wireless high-speed Internet, HDTVs, in room safes. edit
- Residence Inn by Marriott Dulles Airport at Dulles 28 Centre, 45250 Monterey Place, ☎ 703-421-2000, . In the Dulles 28 Centre complex with over 30 specialty shops and restaurants. edit
- TownePlace Suites Dulles Airport 22744 Holiday Park Drive, 703-707-2017,  A convenient and affordable temporary housing hotel near Dulles Airport.
- Washington Dulles Airport Marriott, 45020 Aviation Drive, ☎ 703-471-9500, . On the Dulles International Airport property. Complimentary airport shuttle service. edit
- Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, 13869 Park Center Road, ☎ 703-478-2900, . Located 3 miles from IAD Dulles Airport in historic Herndon, VA. Onsite fitness center and pools. edit
- Courtyard Dulles Town Center, 45500 Majestic Drive Dulles, Virginia 20166, ☎ +1 571 434-6400, . At the intersection of Route 7 and 28, near Town Center Mall. 147 rooms and 10 suites with complimentary Internet and on site parking. Breakfast and dinner available at the Bistro. (39.036708,-77.426487) edit
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport, 21611 Atlantic Boulevard, ☎ 1-703-230-0077, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. Complimentary aiport shuttle, free WiFi throughout the hotel, business center, fitness center. edit
- Washington, D.C.
- The National Air and Space Museum has its incredible hangar-sized annex in next-door Chantilly.
- See a performance at Wolf Trap .
- Go to Civil War historic sites.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!