Stepanavan is a city in Northern Armenia. It is the main central city in the large Dzoraget River valley area, which is separated from the rest of Lori by high mountains.
The two ways into the Dzoraget river valley region (aside from the Georgian border crossing) are over the mountain from Vanadzor, or through the pass at Dzoraget Village along the Debed River Canyon near Tumanyan.
Minibus/van or taxi from Yerevan or Vanadzor, car rental, or getting a driver are your options for getting transport to this area, aside from hiking or biking in, which are both great options for those with some time (or a bike).
See Transportation schedule
Same as the options to get in, with local public transport based out of Stepanavan.
- Lori Berd Fortress, (cross river from main part of town, turn right, go 4.5km). Once a huge bastion on a piece of land that juts out surrounded by rivers, and protected by cliffs. Enough of the walls remain to show what massive fortifications once stood here, and enough of the ceramic underground piping to know they had hot water long before modern times. edit
- Hnevank Monastery. Very far down the Dzoraget River, approaching where it hits the Debed Canyon, Hnevank is a nice monastery with interesting black and cream stone patterns, which has undergone recent renovations. edit
- Dendropark, Gyulagarak Village (4 miles south of village). The family caretakers have managed to make a serene landscape here, with interesting plants from different parts of the world. A nice place for walking and relaxing if you're in the area for a few days. edit
- Sverdlov Village Church, Sverdlov Village (10km north of Stepanavan). A cute old Russian church. edit
- Khuchapi Monastery, (12-15 km east northeast of Privolnoye Village). A stunning monastery that is almost impossible to access via Armenia (road goes through Georgia), a hiker could make it to this gorgeous piece of architecture on foot, and would be amply rewarded by the soaring architecture, the stairwells inside the walls, the carvings, the colors of the stone, the setting... edit
- Khorakert Monastery, (5km east of Khuchapi). If you make it as far as Khuchapi, you'd be crazy not to continue your hike to Khorakert, a beautiful monastery in a lush forest setting, with a masterpiece of a cupola unique to Armenian architecture! edit
This is a hiking, biking, camping wonderland, as there are no fences, few cars, lots of back roads and trails, and very friendly people.
- Cafe Park, intersection of Sayat Nova and Milion St.. The park where all the cafes are, where people go to see and be seen, to drink, to eat sunflower seeds, and enjoy good weather. edit
There are a few places to eat in Stepanavan, some barbecue joints on some of the highways and food at some of the hotel/resorts.
- Kilikia Bar. khorovats, beer, friendly, cheap, soviet atmosphere edit
- Market Restaurant, Njhdeh Street. Traditional Armenian fare, khorovats, central, often scene of parties and weddings edit
Drinks are found where food is served, plus a few cafes in the summer in Stepanavan.
- Anahit Holiday Hotel, 1 Antarayin Str., Stepanavan, ☎ (+374 256) 22578, (093) 072689, (094) 616909. Amenities: Hot, cold water, bathing facilities, TV set, phone Entertainment: Tennis, billiard, swimming pool, playground Payment: Rooms 7500 AMD per/person (3, 4, 5 places. Restroom, TV, cold water, balcony) 8.500 AMD From January 4 Cottages 12000 AMD per/ person (3,4 person 2 bedrooms) cold, hot water, refregerarator, bath, restroom) 10.000 AMD From Janury 4 Catering – full board meal edit
- Drakht Motel (Paradise), Amrakits Village, Stepanavan region, ☎ (+374 256) 22005, 23127, 22323, 22457. Amenities: cold, hot water, TV Catering: Restaurant Entertainment: Restaurant, Sauna, Billiard, tennis, a small lake for fishing Rates 5000 AMD per/person (meal is not included) edit
- Lori Hotel, Nzhdeh Str., Stepanavan, ☎ (+374 256) 22323, (093) 001106. Amenities: hot/cold water, TV, fridge Entertainment: gym, swimming pool Rates: DBL – 12.000 AMD Triple – 15.000 AMD Breakfast is included edit
- Laura's Bed & Breakfast, Ruminakan 14/8 (Across the bridge), ☎ 374 93 23 03 20, . Laura's Bed & Breakfast is a great place to feel the Armenian hospitality, get information about the whole area, enjoy the fresh air, scenic views of the mountains and still be close from the town center and Lori Fortress as a main sightseeing of the area. Dinner can also be provided upon request. Tours can be organized if requested in advance. 7000. edit
There is a tourist information office in Stepanavan, which can help with accommodations and suggestions. http://www.stepanavaninfo.am/
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!