St. Clair Shores is in Macomb County, Michigan and is an inner ring suburb of Detroit.
St. Clair Shores is a city in Michigan and part of the Detroit Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is bordered by Lake St. Clair to the east, Clinton Township and Harrison Township to the north, Roseville and Eastpointe to the west, and Grosse Pointe Woods and Harper Woods to the south.
The nearest airport is the Detroit Metropolitan Airport (IATA: DTW), which is located in Romulus. From there, you could take a rental car, shuttle, or taxi on I-94 East towards St. Clair Shores (which would be accessible from Exits 225-234).
The nearest train station is in Royal Oak. From there, you would take I-696 East, which terminates at St. Clair Shores and turns into 11 Mile Road (you can also head East or West onto I-94 at the eastern terminus of I-696.)
St. Clair Shores is the easternmost end of Detroits "Mile Roads" Its main streets are Harper, Little Mack, Greater Mack and Jefferson Avenue. These run north to south. Major east west roads are 8 Mile (Vernier Rd), 9 Mile, 10 Mile, 11 Mile, 12 Mile, 13 Mile and 14 Mile.
A must see is the "Nautical Mile" on Jefferson between 9 and 10 Mile Roads. It as the largest concentration of public marinas and boat dealerships in the Midwest. Numerous other businesses catering to the boating industry are located there as well as restaurants with the nautical theme.
Visit the "Nautical Mile" in the spring/summer. It virtually comes to a standstill in the fall and especially in the winter. Ice Fishing is a popular activity in the winter.
Gifts Afloat is a store on Jefferson between 9 & 10 Mile Rd with an extensive selection of gifts catering to the boating crowd.
- Steve's Backroom, 24317 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 774-9337, . Located along the Nautical Mile, Steve's Backroom is a popular local option for Mediterranean food. Their hummus was so well received by the local community that it's now available for sale in local grocery stores. edit
- Golden Chopsticks, 24301 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 776-7711, . Golden Chopsticks is a Chinese restaurant along the Nautical Mile that will also offer noodle dishes based on Thai, Japanese, and Hawaiian cuisine. Closed on Mondays edit
- Pegasus Tavern, 24935 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 772-3200, . A Detroit-based eatery which provides a Greek-influenced alternative to all the seafood restaurants on the Nautical Mile. edit
- Brownies on the Lake (formerly Jack's Waterfront Restaurant), 24214 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 445-8080, . Located at the heart of the Nautical Mile, Brownies has a Tiki Bar, has many drink specials, and faces Lake St. Clair. It was once featured on the show Kitchen Nightmares. Open until 2AM on Fridays and Saturdays edit
- Waves, 24223 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 773-3279, . Opposite to where Brownies is stands Waves Chill and Grill, a restaurant that adopts a bar-like feel after 8PM. Waves specializes in seafood, fusion, and American-style fare. edit
- Fishbones Rhythm Kitchen Cafe, 23722 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 498-3000, . Fishbones is a New Orleans-style eatery which aims to bring Creole and Cajun-influenced food to Detroiters (in addition to having added a sushi bar.) Try the Po' Boy sandwiches, the Jambalaya, or the fried alligator. edit
- The Tin Fish, 24420 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 778-8330, . Also located on the Nautical Mile, The Tin Fish offers a high-end dining experience on the waterfront. The Tin Fish is also available to host private parties and events. edit
- Mike's On the Water, 24420 Jefferson Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 778-8330, . Mike's provides a casual option on the Nautical Mile for those who want to have a meal by the water, but aren't necessarily trying to dress (or spend) to impress. edit
Elsewhere in Saint Clair Shores
- Bommarito Bakery, 21830 Greater Mack Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 772-6731, . A locally-renown Italian bakery which offers pizza, subs, cannolis, lemon ice, donuts, wine, and more available for take-home purchase. edit
- Peking Villa, 21609 Harper Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 772-6731. Chinese food is done differently in the Midwest than it is in other parts of the United States, and Peking Villa is a standard example of Chinese food which caters to Midwestern tastes. Try the almond boneless chicken or the General Tso's chicken. edit
- Original New York Deli, 25008 Little Mack Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 779-5665, . New York-style deli which is popular amongst locals for their highly-regard Reuben sandwiches. edit
- Cedar Garden, 23417 Greater Mack Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 778-5999. A small and underrated Lebanese eatery located at 9 Mile and Mack Avenue. The kibbie nayee raw is a recommended dish. edit
- Wally's Frozen Custard, 22501 Harper Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 552-5038. Formerly a seasonal business located in Harper Woods, Wally's has relocated to a year-round location in St. Clair Shores (and has expanded their menu in the process as well.) During the summer, locals like to visit Wally's for their flavorful custard (or frozen yogurt for the health-conscious.) During the winter, locals enjoy their new coffee bar in addition to their new line of sandwiches for either breakfast or lunch. edit
- The Butter Run Saloon, 27626 Harper Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48081, ☎ (586) 675-2115, . A whiskey and beer bar featuring 391 whiskeys and 19 beers on tap. Carling Black Label anyone? They have it! edit
- Shores Inn, 23410 Greater Mack Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 773-8940, . A pub/sports bar which offers a full-service kitchen. Open to 1 AM Monday-Saturday and 12AM on Sundays. edit
- Gilbert's Lodge, 22335 Harper Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 772-9720. Famous among locals for being the former workplace of world-renown rapper Eminem, Gilbert's is popular for it's pizza as well as being a watering hole for the locals. Currently closed due to fire damage, Gilbert's should re-open in Spring/Summer 2014. edit
Despite the size of St. Clair Shores, there's only one hotel/motel located within the city limits:
- Shores Point Motor Lodge, 20000 E 9 Mile Rd, St Clair Shores, MI 48080, ☎ (586) 773-3700, . edit
People visiting St. Clair Shores may wish to travel to 1-94 and Little Mack Road (Exit 232) to nearby Roseville, Michigan, where there are a plethora of lodging options.
Airport Shuttle Services are available from St Clair Shores, Harper Woods, Eastpointe, Grosse Pointes, and Roseville. The rate from these cities is $59.00 to Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Reservations 9a-9p. You can contact Shores Airport Transportation (586) 744-3168.
The 4 land based casino's in Detroit are all within a 30 minute drive from St. Clair Shores. The MGM Grand Detroit Casino, Motor City Casino, and Greektown Casino, and Ceasars Windsor are well worth the visit. Ford Field, Comerica Park and Joe Louis Arenas are all withing a 30 minute drive from St. Clair Shores if you're interested in seeing the Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, or Detroit Red Wings play in their respective venues.
|Routes through St. Clair Shores