Srivilliputhur is a temple town, 75 km from Madurai, 20 km from Sivakasi near the western ghats in India.
Important Festivals at "Srivilliputhur" are
- Car Festival ( Rath Uthsav) in the month of August.
- Andal Thirukalyanam ( Divine Marriage )- Festival during March and April.
- Bus from Madurai to Rajapalayam / Thenkasi / Senghottai Go thru Srivilliputtur.
- Well connected to Rajapalayam / Sivakasi by Bus.
- Connected to Chennai by Pothigai express.
- There are couple of passenger trains to Madurai.
- Nearest airport - Madurai.
- Mini Bus
- By walk - Can visit most of the attractions by walk from Bus stand
- Thiruvannamalai - a Vaishnav Temple on the hillock near western ghats - attracting good crowds during Saturdays, especially in October / November. Proper steps are available to go up the hill.
- Madavar Valagam - a Shiva Temple dedicated to Sri Vaidhyanatha Swamy.
- Senbaga Thoppu - a wildlife sanctuary on the foot hills of the Western ghats.
- kaattalagar kovil - An important Vaishanav Temple and one among DIVYA DESAMs(108), Birth Place of Kothai - Andal , One of the 12 Alwars (Vaishnav saints). Also a birth place of Peria Alwar.
Both of them wrote a number of Pasurms (lyrics or poems) on Lord Vishnu. Their Pasurams have been practised in Vaishnav Temples all over South India and in some places in the North too.
You can find a Replica of this temple ( Sri Rangji Mandhir) at Brindavan in Uttar Pradesh near Mathura.
- Tharagu Malai Madha Temple - A small church on a hill near Thiruvannamalai, No steps - Only foot path/trial to go up, might not be suitable for kids/seniors. The view of the town you get from there is very good.
- Mahalinga Malai - Take a bus to Mahalinga Malai about 19kms from Srivilliputtur through watrap, from the foot hills you'll have to walk uphill for about 8kms, on the top there are 2 temples sundara mahalingam & sandhana mahalingam. Free lunch provided for all visitors and you can stay overnight at the temple. You walk through the forest, crude rock steps / foot trails / cross water streams holding chain, not suitable for kids / people who cant walk 20kms in a day. This hill is also called as sathura giri, people believe there are lot of sidhars even today on this hill. View of the forest will be beautiful and breathtaking, if you get lost in the jungle it will be very difficult, wild animals are common. Better to go with locals / during festival time.
Temple visit / Trekking, these are the 2 activities you can do here, its just a small town.
- Palkoa - Venkateshwara sweets, Inside Andal temple compound. Will always be crowded, and you'll have to wait a bit to buy it.
- Sarvodhya - You can buy hand made crafts at reasonable cost, Shop is inside Andal temple shopping area.
- Food Park Restaurant - Veg and Non Veg. Door Delivery. Rich in Taste and Quality.
- Hotel Kathiravan - Safe veg food, at a very reasonable price. On the state highway and very near to Andal temple / Temple car.
- Suresh Parotta Stall - Non Veg. Typical Parotta / Salna joint near bus stand.
- Dinakaran, 39 East car street. Its from one of the partners from Kathiravan. Very tasts food and home made. Very safe food. edit