Squaw Valley is a ski resort town on the California shore of Lake Tahoe. It is known best for hosting the 1960 Winter Olympics.
Squaw Valley is located off California State Route 89, about 12 miles south of Truckee at the intersection of CA-89 and Interstate 80. The closest city with a major airport is Reno, Nevada, about 32 miles east of Truckee on I-80.
Squaw Valley Road is the main arterial. It runs roughly east-west and feeds into California State Route 89 at its eastern end.
- Squaw Valley, +1 530 583-6985 . On highway 89 between Tahoe City and interstate 80; Squaw is possibly the most well known resort in all of California, and the setting for the recent book Squawllywood. A complete skier's paradise- magazine favorite for its varied terrain, huge size and massive high speed lift system; and a former Olympic village. Its over sized reputation also presents a downside: crowds that even a on mountain the size of Squaw can swamp the intermediate lifts and result in lines.
- Graham's located near the mountain parking lot, delicious food, extensive wine list, ambiance is a little more staid, but recommended none-the-less.
- PlumpJack One of the oldest and most established restaurants it serves typically Californian food, , Plumpjack has a sister restaurant in San Francisco, as you might expect though it is quite expensive.
- Auld Dubliner, (530) 584-6041, . The place for a perfect pint of Guinness, this real Irish pub was built in Ireland, dismantled, shipped over and reassembled. As one might imagine, it offers a wide selection of whisky and live Celtic music.
- Squaw Valley Lodge, 201 Squaw Peak Rd. P.O. Box 2364, Olympic Valley, CA 96146, ☎ 800-549-6742, . Squaw Valley Lodge is an all condominium suites Lake Tahoe, California hotel resort on the slopes of Squaw Valley USA that delivers upscale service and a relaxing vacation experience. edit
- Plumpjack Squaw Valley Inn, 1920 Squaw Valley Road, ☎ 800-323-7666, . Squaw Valley Inn has 58 rooms and suites with amazing views. Shop at their Fashion Boutique and take their wine seminars. edit
Squaw Valley Lodge is perfectly located next to the cable car and across from the KT-22 lift.
- Resort at Squaw Creek, 400 Squaw Creek Road, Olympic Valley, Tel (530) 583-6300, . A premier all season mountain resort in California featuring a luxury spa facility, ski packages, championship golf courses, vacation rentals, and a dedicated chairlift.