Spennymoor is a town in County Durham, England. It’s located about 7 miles from Durham City. It was a coalmining town during World War 2 and since the decline of that specific industry Spennymoor has developed into an industrial estate. Additionally the town is full of small businesses and booming housing projects. Spennymoor itself is made up of small villages, which include Byers Green, Kirk Merrington, Middlestone Moor and Tudhoe.
From A1 (M) North or South. At Junction 61 (Durham Services) take the A688 west heading to Spennymoor/Bishop Auckland. Turn right at the Coxhoe roundabout and continue on the A688 towards Spennymoor. At Thinford Roundabout take the second turning (i.e. straight on) continue for approximately 1.8 miles. Coming from Durham - Follow the A167 to Darlington. At Thinford Roundabout take the third turning continue for approximately 1.8 miles. Coming form Darlington - Follow the A167 to Durham through Harrowgate Hill. At Thinford Roundabout take the first turning continue for approximately 1.8 miles.
The North East of England is connected through certain bus routes. The best way to get to Spennymoor by bus is to get to Durham bus station or Bishop Auckland bus station. Form here the there are buses leaving twice within the hour from Durham and at least once an hour from Bishop Auckland. The whole of the north east is connected by two major bus companies known as Arriva North East and Go North East.
All the travel times for buses leaving Durham are available from Traveline or by calling 0871 200 22 33.
Newcastle Airport is around 30 miles north of Spennymoor. You can use the metro to get to Durham train station and then take a bus to Spennymoor. The overall price of this journey is around £10. (the train is priced around £7 and the bus £3) Durham Tees Valley Airport is around 24 miles south of Spennymoor. You can use the Darlington train station to get to Durham train station and from there either take a taxi or bus to get to Spennymoor. The overall price of this journey is £8. (the train is priced around £5 and the bus £3) Manchester Airport is around 135 miles south of Spennymoor. From Manchester you can take a train to Durham train station and from there you can either get a car or take a bus to Spennymoor. The overall price of this journey is £45. (the train is priced around £42 and the bus £3)
At all three of these airports you can rent a car.
Spennymoor Town is small enough that it can be explored on foot. But if you need a ride around Spennymoor or to see a sight in the local area then either a Taxi or Bus would be your best bet.
- A M Taxis. Tel: 01388 810010.
- Abbies. Tel: 01388 812614.
- Spennymoor Taxis. Tel: 01388 815544.
- W P M Taxis. Tel: 01388 817018.
Click here to view a Bus schedule and timetable of buses leaving Spennymoor. 
- Queen Victoria Jubilee Park. Given to the people of Spennymoor by Queen Victoria to celebrate the jubilee of her reign. Jubilee Park is a large park with plenty of playing area, tennis courts, football pitches, crazy golf and 2 well maintained bowling greens. In the summer it’s a beautiful place to spend your day due to the flower displays within the park. edit
- Spennymoor Leisure Centre., ☎ 01388 815627, . Open from 7am – 10pm Monday – Saturday and Sundays from 9am – 5pm. The leisure centre houses a swimming pool, and offers swimming lessons, football coaching, martial arts tutoring, tennis lessons, badminton practice, a gymnasium and gymnastic workouts, and is also home to a new 'state of the art' Regional Gymnasium Centre. Located behind the Town Hall on High Street. edit
- Town Hall., ☎ 01388 815276, . Located in the centre of town it provides venues for theatrical and operatic performances, and also private functions. On a beautiful day i recommend going to the top of the tower to look over Spennymoor Town. Located on High Street in the centre of the town. edit
Spennymoor's Town Centre isn't known for its shopping but it still offers a handful of shops.
- Spennymoor Sports., 14 High Street, ☎ 01388 814951. Sports shop that sells football boots, running shoes and apparel, sports clothes, tennis, badminton, table tennis equipment and much much more. edit
- Shoefayre, 31 High Street, ☎ 01388 811532. Shoefayre sells all types of shoes from boots, trainers and flip flops. Prices vary between £10 -£100.. edit
- Blockbuster, 1-2 festival Walk., ☎ 01388 813890, . Mon - Sat: 10 - 9pm. Sun: Noon - 9pm.. Rental store. You can rent DVD's, video games for most consoles, drinks and confectionery. Also you can purchase DVD's and video games. You must be a member to rent and buy from the store. Its free to sigh up so its well worth it. DVD and Video games - £4. Tv series - £6.. edit
- Peacocks, 29 Festival Walk, ☎ 01388 815315, . Mon-Sat: 9am-5.30pm. Sun: 10am - 4pm.. Clothes shop for both girls and guys. Sells everything from shoes, jeans, tops, knitwear, formal wear, shorts, t-shirts and much more.Great styles at affordable prices. Average price: £15-£20.. edit
Smoking is banned in all public places such as pubs, restaurants, clubs and the workplace.
- Poachers Pocket., Bridge St, Metal Bridge, Durham, ☎ 01740 654268. Mon-Thurs:11am - 11pm. Fri-Sat:11am - 12pm. Sun 11am - 10pm. The Poachers offers you standard pub food but with great variety to choose from and all for a reasonable price. Large portions so go their hungry or you wont be finishing your meal. Tuesday night is quiz night, which last for an hour and is made up of a picture and question round. The quiz starts at 9:00pm. If you choose to go to the poachers pocket on a Friday or Saturday night get there before 6.30pm so not to wait to be seated. Average meal £10-12. edit
- Classic Pizza, 41 high street, ☎ 01388 812422, . Mon – Th: 5pm – 11.30pm. Fri – Sat: 5pm – 1am. Sun: 5pm – 11.30pm.. Serves pizza and appetizers. edit
- Sunnys Fish Inn, 46 high street, ☎ 01388 811999. Fish and chip shop, which also sells kebab meat, chicken, pizza and many other items. I recommend trying the Kebab Bun. (Bread bun, kebab meat, fries and either garlic, gravy, chili or bolognese sauce) edit
- Happy Valley, 72 High Street, ☎ 01388 812882. Chinese take away. edit
- Clems Fish Shop, 16 Clyde Terrace, ☎ 01388 815451. One of the better places to get Fish and Chips in Spennymoor. edit
- Frog and Ferret., Coulson Street, Spennymoor., ☎ 01388 818312. Noon - Midnight. An old fashioned pub with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Serves a wide range of beer and ale ranging from Fosters, Carling, Kronenbourg, John Smiths, Guinness Extra Cold, Strongbow & Thatchers Ciders. One of the best places in Spennymoor to buy a pint of John Smiths. Average pint - £2.25. edit
- The Weardale.. One of the cheaper pubs in Spennymoor located on Cheapside just off King Street Road. Average Pint - £2.00.. edit
- Salvin Arms. Located on King Street Road opposite King Street School. The traditional pub, which sells a wide range of beers and ales. Family orientated business with 2 pool tables, flat screen TV’s and a dartboard. Average Pint - £2.25.. edit
- Penny Gill, 17 Cheapside, . 11am - Midnight. They serve a wide range of Beers, Lagers, Spirits and a selection of Cask Ales, with different Guest Ale every month. This pub has many special deals beginning at 11am and ending at 7pm during its so-called happy hour. Even though it lasts 8 hours. For example john smiths costs £1.40 before 7pm and after 7pm it costs £1.70. This is just one of the many specials during happy hour. Average Pint - £2.10.. edit
- Fulltums, 18 High Street, ☎ 01388 815750. Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm. Sat: 9am - 3pm.. The food is adequate, plentiful and cheap. Serves sandwiches, baked potatos with a choice of fillings, tea, coffee and other hot drinks and a wide selection of pastry and cakes. edit
- The Kiln Room, 56 High Street, ☎ 01388 811811, . Mon-Sat: 10am - 6pm.. One of few ceramic studios in the UK. You can either create you own masterpiece or just sit and relax with a wide range of sandwiches, paninis and homemade cake, served along side coffee, hot chocolate or many other hot drinks. edit
- Whitworth Hall Hotel., (From the A1 Motorway Junction 61. At junction 61 take A688 Spennymoor After joining it, follow A688 Spennymoor over 4 roundabouts. At the 5th roundabout, take the 4th exit, right, Spennymoor Town Centre. At the next major roundabout turn left, first exit, A688 Bishop Auckland. After ¾ mile turn right at the traffic lights following brown signs Whitworth Hall Hotel which is on the right after 1½ miles.), ☎ 01388 811 772, . The price for one night includes afternoon tea on arrival, a 3-course meal and a full English breakfast in the morning. The Hotel is located on the edge of Spennymoor in a deer park with beautiful countryside surrounding the area. Kids eat for free. One Night - £95 or £150 for two people.. edit
There are a few Wireless Hotspots throughout Spennymoor.
Pay as you Go Wireless Internet.
- Pit Laddie. Located on Dundas Street. Tel: 01388 814024
- The Weardale. Located on 27 Cheapside. Tel: 01388 814393
- Winning Post. Located on Merrington Lane. Tel: 01388 811856
Each of these Wireless internet hotspots cost either £0.12 a minute or £29 a month.
- Spennymoor - 01388
- Durham - 01913
- Bishop Auckland - 01388
- Sedgefield - 01740
- Ferryhill - 01740
- Chester-le-Street - 01388
After the area code there should be a 6 digit number.
- Spennymoor - DL16
- Durham - DH1
- Bishop Auckland - DL14
- Sedgefield - TS21
- Ferryhill - DL17
- Chester-le-Street - DH3
After the postal code there should be a 3 digit code.
Nursery Schools.(3-5 years of age)
- Ox Close Nursery. Mixed nursery with 76 pupils with 44 boys and 32 girls. Located on Oxclose Crescent. Tel: 01388814970.
- Pixley Dell Day Nursery. Located on 8 Coulson Street. Tel: 01388816299.
- Kirk Merrington. A rural nursery. Located on Blue House Est. Tel: 01388811842.
Primary Schools.(6-11 years of age)
- King Street. Mixed primary school with 207 pupils with 113 boys and 94 girls. Located on High Grange Road. Tel: 01388816078.
- Kirk Merrington. Mixed rural primary school with 75 pupils with 42 boys and 33 girls. Located on South View. Tel: 01388816230.
- Middlestone Moor. Mixed primary school with 253 pupils with 125 boys and 128 girls. Located on Rock Road. Tel: 01388816351.
- North Park. Mixed primary school with 243 pupils with 114 boys and 129 girls. Located on Bessemer Green. Tel: 01388815943.
- Ox Close. Mixed Primary school with 236 pupils with 131 boys and 105 girls. Located on Oxclose Crescent. Tel: 01388814860.
- Rosa Street. Mixed primary school with 255 pupils with 126 boys and 129 girls. Located on Rosa Street. Tel: 01388815427.
- Tudhoe Colliery. Mixed primary school with 145 pupils with 79 boys and 66 girls. Located on Front Street. Tel: 01388814399.
Comprehensive Schools.(11-16 years of age)
- Tudhoe Grange. Mixed comprehensive school with 855 pupils with 433 boys and 422 girls. Located on St Charles Road and Durham Road. Tel: 01388815000.
- Spennymoor. Mixed comprehensive school with 705 pupils with 339 boys and 366 girls. Located on Whitworth Lane. Tel: 01388815634.
Spennymoor is surrounded by beautiful countryside and wonderful sights and attractions.
A beautiful cathedral known though out Europe and a delightful castle sit on a hill looking over the City. From the top of the tower you get a great view of Durham City and the countryside surrounding the City.
In general Durham City is a great day out. With other great sites to see from the Victorian indoor market, Botanical Gardens, walking beside the castle and cathedral along side the River Weir and the Durham Light Infantry Museum along with many more interesting things.
One of Europe’s largest shopping malls. Located on the A1, West of Newcastle. Or you can get a bus from Spennymoor town centre to the metro. Direct on the X24. If you easily get motion sickness I would recommend taking a car to the Metro Centre since the Bus takes about 1hr and 45 mins due to all the detours on the way. By car it can take you 30-45 mins depending on traffic.
Beamish is an open-air museum near Chester Le Street just to the north of Durham. The prices range from £15 in the summer to £6 in the winter per adult and £10 in the summer and £6 in the winter per child aged 5-16 years of age. Any child under the age of 5 gets in for free regardless of the season. Students get a discount if they have there student ID's on them. Open from 10am – 4pm in the winter and 10am to 5pm in the summer. The museum is accessible by car from the A1 (M) or by bus from Durham.
A remarkable waterfall with a drop of 21 meters. With a beautiful woodland walk for about 1/3 or a mile leading up to the waterfall and also a nature trail, which follows the river High Force is an appealing day out. I would recommend the High Force Hotel for a meal if you have the time. High Force is located on the B6277, 4.5 miles from Middleton-in-Teesdale.
Coming from the North East, you have a choice of two roads. The main A171, or the slower coastal road A174. Whitby is a harbor town that is scenic and pleasant and is worth the drive to visit for a day.
In the summer you can take the daily direct X60 Arriva bus, or take the train from Durham which changes at Darlington and Middlesbrough. Although these two means of transport take longer than a car it is worth the journey alone.
The castle has been home to the Bishops of Durham for over 800 years and still is to this day.Located in Bishop Auckland. Arriving by car on the A688 follow signs for Bishop Auckland Town Centre.
Auckland Castle is just off the Market Place in the Bishop Auckland. Buses do travel to Bishop Auckland regularly. You can get a bus from Spennymoor Town centre to Bishop Town centre and from there it is only a 5-minute walk. It is open from 2-5pm on Sundays and Mondays. For an adult the charge is £4 and £3 for children aged between 13-16 and adults over 60 years of age. Children under the age of 12 can enter for free.
An old Roman Fort that only has a small part of its remains excavated. The remains include an impressive bathhouse, some of the forts defenses along with other settlement buildings Located 1.5 miles outside of Bishop Auckland on the Dere Street Trail. It is sign posted from the A688 coming from Spennymoor. Open 11am to 5pm all days of the week. Prices for adult tickets are £2.25 and children and adults over the age of 60 get in for £1.00. Free parking is available on site.
- St. Andrews Medical Practice Adam House.
This is a small doctors that is located on St. Andrews Lane next to Asda. If you have a medical problem that is not life threatening then make a appointment by phone (Tel: 01388 817777) or by person.
If you have a problem that is life threatening then there are three major hospitals in the area.
- University Hospital Of North Durham.
This Hospital is about 9 miles from Spennymoor and is located on North Road. By car it takes about 15 minutes and about 25 minutes by bus depending on traffic. Car parking charges are: Up to 1 hour - £0.90. 1 to 2 hours - £1.50. 2 to 3 hours - £2.30. 3 to 4 hours - £3.70. 4 to 6 hours - £5.00. 6 to 24 hours - £7.00. Tel: 0191 333 2333.
- Bishop Auckland General Hospital.
This Hospital is about 5 miles from Spennymoor and is located on Cockton Hill Road. By car it takes about 10 minutes and 20 minutes by bus depending on the traffic. Tel: 01388 455000
- Darlington Memorial Hospital.
This Hospital is about 12 miles from Spennymoor and is located Hollyhurst Road. By car it takes about 25 minutes and about 40 minutes by bus depending on the traffic. Tel: 01325 380100
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!