YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!
no edit summary
*Mweka (descent only)
The routes vary by length, difficulty, scenery, altitude profile, accessibility and (lack of) facilities. To choose the best hiking route for your Kilimanjaro climb, it is important to assess your personal priorities. [https://
'''Marangu Route''' Commonly called the ''Coca-Cola Route'', because it is considered the easiest route and vendors sell Coca-Cola at some of the huts. Marangu is by far the most popular route to the summit of Kilimanjaro. Typical duration is either 5 or 6 days depending upon whether you elect to spend an extra day for acclimatization to the altitude. This is the only route that offers huts versus tents. In spite of these, do be aware that 1) a faster ascent means less time for acclimatization and a lower chance of reaching the summit and 2) it is actually colder to stay in huts compared to staying in tents. [https://www.tanzaniajoytours.com/product/6-days-marangu-route-climbing/ Read more here].
* Day 6: Horombo hut (3720 m) - Marangu Gate (1980 m). Hiking time: 6 hours
'''Machame Route''' Some call this the most beautiful route up Kilimanjaro. Where accommodation on the Marangu route is in huts, the Machame route offers strictly tents only. This makes Machame (also referred to as the "Whiskey route") better suited to the slightly more adventurous hiker, however rewarding him/her with a scenic splendor such as not seen on the Marangu route. [https://
* Day 1: Machame Gate (1490 m) - Machame camp (2980 m). Hiking time: 4-6 hours
* Day 5: Barafu camp (4550 m)- '''Uhuru Peak (5895 m)''' - Mweka (3100 m). Hiking time: 8 hours to reach Uhuru Peak: 7/8 hours to descend to Mweka (frequently broken into 2 days with an overnight stay at Mweka camp)
'''Lemosho Route''' Little used and more remote than other routes. The route is one of the few where groups may be accompanied on the first day by an armed ranger, as the forests around the Lemosho Glades are rich in buffalo, elephant and other big game animals. [https://
* Day 1: Londorossi Gate (2100 m) - Mti Mkubwa camp (2750 m). Hiking time: 3 hours
* Day 7: Crater Camp (5640 m) - Mweka (3100 m). Hiking time: 7/8 hours to descend.
'''Rongai Route''' The Rongai route provides ascent up Kilimanjaro from the northeastern side of the mountain, along the border between Tanzania and Kenya. [https://
* Day 1: Rongai Gate (1950 m) - 1st Caves camp (2600 m). Hiking time: 5 hours
* Day 6: Mweka Camp (3090m) to Mweka Gate (1680m). Hiking time: 3/4 hours
'''Northern Circuit Route''' The Northern Circuit Route is is a new unique route and the longest trail on Mount Kilimanjaro. It goes through the untouched northern slope and begins in the West of Mount Kilimanjaro at the Londorossi Gate with excellent views from all sides of the mountain. The trail is less popular and thus good for people looking for a quieter route. [https://
* Day 1: Drive to Londorossi Park Gate (2,385m or 7825 ft)and climbing to Mti Mkubwa Camp (2,700 meters or 8858 ft)feet). Hiking time: 5/6 hours. Distance 8 Km or 5 miles.
* Day 2: Lake Manyara National Park – Ngorongoro Crater. Non game-viewing travel time: 2/3 hours. Distance: 120 km
* Day 3: Tarangire National Park – Moshi/Arusha. Non game-viewing travel time: 3 hours. Distance: 210 km
==Kilimanjaro Tour Operators==