YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!
'''Solo''' the short name for '''Surakarta''', is a major city in [[Central Java]], [[Indonesia]]. Together with [[Yogyakarta]], these two cities are heirs of the Mataram kingdom that was split in 1755.
Solo lies some 100 km south of [[Semarang]] and some 60 kilometers east of [[Yogyakarta]]. As the 'twin' sister of [[Yogyakarta]], this city looks much like the later. But because Solo is not a provincial capital, this city has preserved much of its Javanese character. This also means that Solo is less touristy than [[Yogyakarta]]. Solo is a former Royal city and home to two Royal enclaves; that of the Kasunanan Kingdom and the Mangkunegaran Principality.
The main bus station is
* '''Yan'''. Jl Sriwijaya 11 RT 002/03. ☎ +62 271 717541.
* <listing name="Central Java Transporter" alt="" directions="" address="" phone="+6285225993574" email="[email protected]" fax="" url="http://centraljavatransporter.jimdo.com/" hours="" price=""></listing>
===By horse cart===
Becak (traditional pedicabs) are an entertaining way of seeing the city, albeit quite slowly. Expect Becak drivers to quote prices inflated to at least 3 times for the average tourist.
* '''Jurug Zoo'''. Facility: zoo, aquarium.
* '''Sriwedari Park'''. Javanese art and cultural centre with a
* '''Sahasra Adhi Pura''' [http://www.sahasraadhipura.org/] A new Hindu temple under construction 5 km east of Solo, it is a Kundalini yoga centre that has 50 miniatures of sacred sites from around the world.
* '''Sepoor Kluthuk''' Ride in an old train, with stops at Loji Gandrung and Kampung Batik Kauman, costs about Rp 100,000.
* A tour by public bus or scooter (it's hard to find a rental, maybe ask the car rental on Jl. Hasanudin) to the small temple '''Candi Sukuh''' [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukuh], Candi Cetho and '''Tawangmangu''' Hill Station (it's possible to stay there), all located 40 km east of Solo; more infos see by "Get Out" below
:* '''Pusat Grosir Solo''' 5-story tall wholesale centre of clothing items located nearby Keraton Solo and Pasar Klewer (''Klewer market'') where you can find many shops selling batik with competitive price. Great for a one-stop shopping centre.
===Mall and shopping centres===
* '''Soga Restaurant & Lounge''', Jl. Slamet Riyadi 261. [http://sogarestaurant.com/] ☎ +62 271 727020, located within the House of Danar Hadi complex. This is a proper casual dining restaurant, the cuisine offered is a blend of traditional Javanese as well as some western/dutch colonial cuisine. Dishes are presented elegantly and the atmosphere is grand and cozy, with colonial antiques and batik decorating the interior as well as TVs. Live piano and music every night. A nice alternative to the street food culture that is prevalent in Solo. The food is moderately priced and delicious, Approx. US$5-10/person
* '''Pizza Hut''', Jl Brigjen Slamet Riyadi 380. ☎ +62 271 721577. American style fastfood. Approx. US$5/person.
Other than Serabi, Solo offers a rich varities of snack, ranged from dry snack, (onde-onde ceplus, kripik cakar, kripik paru, kerak nasi goreng) to keleman (fresh snack) (solo, wajik, jadah, kue ku, lapis, cara bikang). Sosis Solo has been identified as the specialty snack from Solo, is made of chopped beef combined with spices wrapped in a thin egg pancake. You can find many varieties of traditional fresh snacks once you walk into Pasar Gede.
*<eat name="Soto Triwindu" alt="" address="Jl. Teuku Umar No 41 Keprabon" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="06.00-15.00" price="10.000" lat="" long="">Soto is a Javanaese soup that contains meat, sprout, rice and many other. Usually for breakfast and lunch.</eat>
*<eat name="BAKMI JAWA
*<sleep name="Baron Indah Hotel" alt="" address="Jl. Dr. Radjiman no. 392 Laweyan" directions="Behind Solo Grand mall" phone="+62 271 729071" email="[email protected],[email protected]" fax="" url="www.baronindahhotel.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="Rp 462.000 nett/room/night for std, Rp 558.000 nett/room/night for deluxe" lat="" long="">27 standard and 10 deluxe room, free airport transfer, in-house spa, free wi-fi internet connection at lobby and restaurant, business centre, meeting room, in-house and outside laundry.</sleep>
* '''[[Borobudur]]''', the largest Buddhist structure in the world located in Magelang, can be reached from Solo. A particularly scenic route would be to travel through the Selo and Ketep pass in Boyolali, located between Mount Merapi and Merbabu with breathtaking views of both mountains and directly to Magelang, without going through Yogya. The whole journey should take around 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours with a rented or private car.
*'''[[Tawangmangu]]''', a [[hill station]] located on the slopes of [[Mount Lawu]], a dormant volcano which straddles the border between [[Central Java]] and [[East Java]]. It is an hour drive from Solo, and is a popular weekend getaway for the Solonese. Tawangmangu is famous for its natural scenery, with waterfalls (Grojogan Sewu and Jumog Waterfall) and breathtaking views. For those who are not faint-hearted, it is also possible to climb to the top of Mount Lawu (3,265 m) from Tawangmangu, which is a 7 hours hike. Nearby Tawangmangu are the ruins of the '''Sukuh Temple''' (''Candi Sukuh''), a Hindu temple built at the end of the period of Hinduism (15th century) in Java. The temple is famous for its unique shape, which resembles [[Mayan]] pyramids as well as its erotic iconographies. Another temple within the vicinity of Sukuh is the '''Cetho Temple''', located high above the sprawling tea plantations of Kemuning.
*'''Sangiran Early Man Site''', is an archeological site located 15 km from Solo. The area is a [[UNESCO World Heritage Site]] and an archeological treasure trove of fossils and remnants from the prehistoric era. The most important discovery however was the skeleton of the Java Man (''Pithecanthropus erectus'') an important predecessor of the modern human. The site contains a museum housing the archeological finds as well as an archaeological park.