'''Puerto Galera''' is a town on the northeastern coast of [[Mindoro|Mindoro Island]], [[Philippines]]. Among travelers it is commonly known as encompassing the region surrounding it. While a small town itself, other adjacent smaller towns, such as [[Sabang (Philippines)|Sabang]] and White Beach, are the primary destinations; however, all are lumped together as Puerto Galera as it hosts the ferry terminal (to Batangas) through which most people arrive.
* <listing name="Immigration Office" alt="" address="" directions="in the public market buildiing" phone="" email="" fax="" url="" hours="M-W, 9AM-4PM" price="">Most visa related issues can be taken care of by Rudi and Nestor from the Calapan Immigrations Office. They hold hours here Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday only
ope until noon .Xerox services are available nearby, often required for visa extension applications.</listing>
'''Puerto Galera''' is three hours away from Metro Manila. If you're already in [[Manila]], getting there is pretty easy. Having a car is very convenient, all you need to do is drive through '''South Luzon Expressway''' turn right to Star Toll gate and then head to Batangas Pier. From there, you can either park your car and ride a ferry going to Puerto Galera or have your car ride a RoRo(roll on, roll off) ship so you could take your car with you to Puerto Galera.
===By bus===Puerto Galera is easily accessible from
Areas around Manila. Most tourists prefer to take a JAM transit or BLTB bus - from it's terminals along EDSA Cubao. These ply every hour between Cubao (Manila) and Puerto Galera pier. The ''Sikat'' tourist service operates one trip per day and is convenient for people staying in Manila close to Ermita.
* <listing name="JAM transit,
BLTB and Sikat tourist service" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="(+63)2-7089628" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax=""> Buses run every hour from the Manila (Quezon city) Cubao bus terminal. JAM transit is among the popular bus services. BLTB too runs buses every about 2 hours. These cost about 300 Pesos per trip. The Sikat leaves at 0830 daily from the City State Tower Hotel on Mabini Street, [[Ermita]], [[Manila]]. The round trip ticket costs Php1, 400 (about US$ 31) and includes both bus and ferry to either Sabang Beach or Puerto Galera. It reaches Sabang at 1 pm afternoon
For the adventurous traveler go to Buendia LRT station in Manila and from there you will see buses and shuttle services going to Batangas pier. It
cost around P180 from Buendia to [[Batangas]] pier. And when you get to Batangas pier all you need to do is to ride a ferry boat going to [[Sabang]] - Puerto Galera.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAM_%28bus_company%29 JAM Transit ] operates buses every hour from Manila Cubai and Buendia bus terminal to Puerto Galera pier. The trip costs about 200 pesos and takes about 2 hours
Scheduled ferries arrive at Puerto Galera mostly from [[Batangas]] but also from other islands. From there, most people immediately depart for [[Sabang]] (known for SCUBA diving) or White Beach (a stretch of white sand holding small restaurants and bars) .
Crossing the waters between Batangas Port and White Beach can be a thrill by itself especially during the meeting of the tides when the sea can be quite rough. However, the boatmen know these waters very well, so there is no need to be hysterical.
'''From Boracay''' you can go with the big ferry to Roxas and from there with a local jeepney or hire a van to Puerto Galera/ Sabang Beach.
At the harbor you will find lots of people trying to get you to ride with their tricycle.
For a 5 minute trip, they will try to make you pay 200php, but the real price is 15/20php (one person/two person) ' '(8th March, 2011)'' so insist on paying that. You can also find them everywhere in town and get a ride to White Beach, Sabang etc. At night when it gets dark, the prices changes to higher rates (for example, instead of 20php you pay 50php). In Sabang there are 3 motorcycle rental providers. For 500php you can rent a scooter for the whole day. You have to mind the local traffic rules, of course .
*'''Lush Forests''': The forests of Puerto Galera are home to many flora such as orchids, birds and fauna such as orchids and waterfalls.
* <see name="Tamaraw Falls" alt="" address="" directions="15km from Puerto Galera on the road of Calapan" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">Tamaraw Falls is
just a few minute ride from White Beach by rented van. The water from the Falls collects into a pool under a bridge. It is quite cold and invigorating. A few meters up from the pool, one can enjoy the pounding waters that gush through the boulders. Just a few kilometers down the road is a beautiful beach.</see>
* <see name="Muelle Bay" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">A beautiful hidden hideout. It has a natural harbor where most ferries and boats dock, the bay is lined by a row of shops, bars and restaurants, enjoy the scenic view of the bay while having lunch or a romantic dinner. Get your cameras ready :)</see>
* <see name="Reptile Zoo" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">Not to be missed by reptile lovers, it has a
set of snakes, crocodiles and lizards.</see>
*<see name="Talipanan Falls" alt="" address="Mangyan Village" directions="follow the trail out of the village up the stream" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="">After a 20 minute walk, you can take a swim at a secluded little waterfall.</see>
=== Diving ===
Most visitors to Puerto Galera are attracted by the excellent [[scuba diving]] provided by the protected marine sanctuary. There are a number of dive shops in the area (estimated at around 35) that provide access to a macro (i.e. small life)
heaven. The dive sites that feature a large variety of small sea life with the occasional shark or turtle. Several sites are drift dives and often turn into (strong) current dives with the best diving (for coral and small life) being at 20m or 60 feet. Almost all of the dive sites are within a 10 minute boat ride of Sabang which allows you to spend your surface interval on the shore and it also allows most shops to offer as many as four dive trips (single tank) each day. Prices for a single dive are around $26~$32
for a single tank dive, including equipment rental, boat and dive guide, with discounts for more dives and if you have your own equipment.
* <do name="South Sea Divers" alt="" address="" directions="Sabang Beach" phone="+43 287-3052" url="http://www.southseadivers.com" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="[email protected]
" fax="">One of the first dive shops in the area, founded in 1983. Experienced and knowable shop with lively staff. Owner sky is very inviting and will answer any diving or even give you cool anecdotes about life in Sabang. The atmosphere truly adds to your vacation. Proper shop with everything you could want and all the gear you may need. Learn to dive or just go on a fun dive. Tech courses offered as well. Very reasonable rates.Worth checking out. </do>
* <do name="Frontier Scuba" alt="" directions="west Sabang Beach" address="" phone="+63 917 540 8410" email="[email protected]
" fax="" url="http://www.frontierscuba.com" hours="" price="">Run by Rick Kirkham, one of the most experienced instructors in the Philippines, this 5-Star Instructor Training Center is one the busiest, smaller dive centers. They offer complete packages with guided diving, transfers, accommodation and meals. The attached restauarant Hemingway's is consistently voted the best restaurant in Puerto Galera. They offer the complete range of recreational dive courses from Discover Scuba (experience a dive),PADI Open Water, PADI Divemaster and SDI Instructor courses. TDI technical diver and instructor courses are offered up to Advanced Wreck and Advanced Trimix. Nitrox, trimix, sodasorb and rebreather tanks are available to rent </do>
* <do name="Badladz Adventure Divers" alt="" directions="next to Muelle Pier" address="" phone="0063 09062214972" email="[email protected]" fax="" url="http://badladz.com/puerto-galera-diving/" hours="" price="">Small dive shop, operated by a very friendly Instructors. They offer all PADI courses from beginner intro dives right through to Assistant Instructor at very reasonable prices with group discounts and multiple day diving discounts. Also available are snorkelling trips, kayak rental and Beach BBQ's. Tel: </do>
*<do name="Scuba Scuta" alt="" address="Palangan Puerto Galera" directions="2 mins from Muelle Pier" phone="+63909205843032" url="http://www.piratecove.com.ph/pirate_cove_scuba_scuta.html" hours="" price="" lat="" long=""></do>
*<do name="Sea Rider Dive Center" alt="" address="Small La Laguna Beach" directions="" phone="+63 921 588 5994, +63 906 454 5602" url="http://www.seariderdivecenter.com" email="[email protected]
" hours="" price="900 pesos per dive" lat="" long="">Locally owned with an excellent instructor, friendly and helpful staff.</do>
=== Other activities ===
* <buy name="ATM machine" alt="" address="" directions="Allied Bank, on the hill before the pier" phone="" email="" fax="" url="" hours="" price="">This is currently there are two ATM in Puerto Galera and one in Sabang that accept international ATM cards (Cirrus etc, Mastercard is not listed but works anyway) Max. withdrawal 10,000 PHP per transaction.</buy>
* <eat name="Le Bistro D'Agathe" alt="" address="Muelle Pier" directions="" phone="" url="http://www.puertogalera-lebistrodagathe.com" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">A French restaurant that also has a bakery for fresh baguettes that is no longer there.</eat>
* <eat name="Foodtrip sa Galera" alt="" address="White Beach" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="24 hours" price="$2 up" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">
open 24 hours , good food, great value.</eat>
Sabang beach at night is famous (or infamous) for girly bars that tend to close just as quickly as they pop up. It also has billiard rooms and discos where you can party into the wee hours of the morning.
The Jager Bar (http://www.thejagerbar.com/)
* <sleep name="Manalo′s Guesthouse" directions="five-minute walk from famous White Beach" phone="09176096072 and 09176674077" url="http://www.manaloguesthouse.com" price="Rates start at PHP 1000">Each room is air-conditioned and fitted with a living room/ lounge area, kitchenette, and private toilet and shower. </sleep>
* <sleep name="Myra and Medelaine’s Place" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="+63 043 287 3602" url="http://www.myraandmedelainesplaceresort.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="Rates start at PHP 1,050" lat="" long="" email="[email protected]
">Myra and Medelaine’s Place is located right along the famous White Beach, is conveniently near many attractions and dive spots, and provide a host of conveniences. The Resort is all about comfort and variety. You can choose among nine guestrooms: Standard, De Luxe, and Family Rooms. Some rooms feature a queen-size bed instead of a single or twin bed
and all rates includes daily breakfast
. White Beach, San Isidro, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines. </sleep>
* <sleep name="White Beach Resort, Bar and Restaurant" address="White Beach" phone="09178258643, 09228358643" url="http://www.whitebeachresort-puertogalera.com" price="Best rates on official website start at Php 1,110.00">In the tropical paradise that is Puerto Galera lies White Beach Resort, Bar and Restaurant – a modest beachfront retreat that is big in comfort, but easy on the pocket. Why look for frills when the necessities are already at hand? This Puerto Galera accommodation comes with air-conditioning, a toilet and shower, and dining area. In the morning, see the sunshine spill from the skylight through your room's balcony.</sleep>
A diveshop is part of the resort.</sleep>
*<sleep name="Tropicana Castle Resort" alt="" address="Sabang Beach" directions="" phone="" url="http://www.
tropicanacastleresort.com" checkin="2:00pm" checkout="12:00nn" price="Php1750.00" lat="" long="">Tropicana Castle Resort is located in the tropical surroundings of Sabang Beach, Puerto Galera. The resort offers fully-furnished rooms and a a roof-garden restaurant that serves local and international cuisines.It looks like a real castle.</sleep>
*<sleep name="Scandi Divers" alt="Scandi Divers Puerto Galera Resorts" address="Big La Laguna" directions="" phone="+63 43 287 3551" url="http://www.scandidivers.com/" checkin="" checkout="" price="From $45USD" lat="" long="">Scandi Divers (Scandinavian Divers) is one of the resorts in Puerto Galera on Big La Laguna Beach. It's a short walk to Sabang, but quiet and relaxing. It's a great place to come for scuba diving as they have their own fully-equipped dive shop and boat; 25 USD per dive. The restaurant is fantastic too, with great-tasting dishes from all around the world.</sleep>
*<sleep name="Campbell's Beach Resort" alt="" address="Big La Laguna Beach" directions="End of beach walking from Sabang" phone="63-43-287-3466" url="
Www.campbellsbeachresort.com" checkin="2 pm" checkout="Noon" price="From 29 usd" lat="" long="">Quiet all waterfront rooms at the end of the Big La Laguna Beach, a 15 minute walk or a short boat or tricycle ride from Sabang. Restaurant featuring international food with emphasis on Thai food. Guests use pool and dive center 50 meters next door at Scandi Divers. Free Wi Fi</sleep>
*<sleep name="Encenada Beach Resort" alt="" address="Brgy. Palangan" directions="" phone="63-43-2873083" url="http://encenadabeachresort.com/" checkin="" checkout="" price="Rates start at PHP 1,400.00" lat="" long="">Their Puerto Galera resort offer rooms equipped with private toilet and shower. Some of the facilities and services offered are restaurant/bar with free Wifi, meeting room for 30 pax, beach football activities, group adventure tours, jeepney, motorcycle, scooter rentals, diving and snorkeling activities.</sleep>
*<sleep name="Bangera Inn" alt="" address="white beach" directions="" phone="" url="" checkin="2pm" checkout="12nn" price="1000" lat="" long="">just a few steps from the beach, affordable and nice.</sleep>
*<sleep name="Squares Cafe & Apartment" alt="" address="Small Tabinay Beach" directions="Only 1km from Puerto town" phone="+63 9158070628" url="www.squaresapartments.com/
" checkin="" checkout="" price="" lat="" long="">Fully furnished apartments right on a quiet beach in the village Small Tabinay on the outskirts of Puerto. Have WiFi. All apts have a separate bedroom and a kitchen.</sleep>
Jeepney to Calapan (1.15h, 90P) leaves from the end of the main road several times daily. Also, air conditioned mini vans now operate for 100P and have fewer stops. From Calapan you can take a minivan (3h, 180P) to Roxas.
Jeepney/Tricycle to Balatero where a boat, M/S Caribbean, leaves daily at 10AM for Abras de Llog, 180php one-way, 10php terminal fee. Easy entry into Mindoro Occidental. An easier and cheaper option compared to chartering your own pumpboat or going to Abras via Batangas.