'''Bophut''' is a beach village located on the northern coast of [[Ko Samui]]. Confusingly, Bophut is also a large administrative and postal district (Amphong) even encompassing Chaweng. Therefore a Bophut address is no guarantee that it is located in or around the village.
Bophut is just 15 minutes away from the airport by bus or taxi. Many ferries from [[Ko Pha Ngan]] and [[Ko Tao]] dock at the small pier in eastern Bophut.
From the Nathon pier, take a brown songthaew going to the left as you leave.
It will cost 50 baht.This is the way the locals travel around the island. Do NOT ask the fare as you will then be making a private hire. Push the button to stop the vehicle when you are where you want to be.
== See ==
== Do ==
Activities on Bophut are pretty much limited to the beach, which is quite narrow and drops off rapidly. Jet ski hire operators are located (mercifully) at the western end of the Fisherman's Village. A Go-kart track can be found on the main road adjacent to the village. Bophut is famed for its '''sunsets''', fine restaurants, numerous pubs and complete absence of girly bars. Thai
Massage, (temporary rejuvenation on the beach or in the village's numerous mini-spas) manicure and pedicure treatments are popular bargain spends for visitors of either sex .
== Buy ==
== Eat ==
Bophut has a reputation for being one of the best places to eat on Samui. The village boasts many fine restaurants offering a wide choice of cuisine in addition to a wealth of Thai dishes. French, Italian, BBQ, Indian, and seafood outlets predominate, but there are several pubs and two bakeries offering standard European-style snacks and typical British and Australian pub grub. Currently some 30 bars and restaurants are located in little more than 700 m of village street. All the places below are clustered in the Fisherman's Village within easy walking distance of each other.
* '''Happy Elephant''', in the village, is a popular Thai seafood joint with an extensive menu.
You can pick and choose your dinner and the cooking style from today's catch. Most fish 50 baht per 100 grams, so figure on a few hundred baht per head to stuff yourself. Live music some evenings.
'''La Sirene ''', 65/1 Moo 1 , tel. 077 425 301 . A French-Thai restaurant with good seafood. Same price range as Villa Bianca.
* '''Starfish and Coffee'''. Despite the odd name, this is an almost exaggeratedly romantic beach side restaurant with reclining divans, flickering oil lamps and yards of red plush.
Unfortunately the rather dull food isn't quite up to the same standards, so you might just want to pop in for a drink instead.
'''Villa Bianca ''', tel. 077 245 041 . Generally regarded as the best Italian restaurant on the island. True to the name, it's decorated with a stark white colour scheme that stands out from the crowd, but the beach side tables are popular (book in advance!). Fairly pricey, figure on 500 baht per head with a glass of wine.
== Drink ==
* <drink name="The Pub" alt="" address="" directions="on the main road, beach side, between the Frog & Gecko and The Beatles Bar, a little closer to the Beatles" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">A nice place to grab a pint and watch some football or cricket unless there is rugby being shown as that takes precedence here! A good place to find folks from the UK. Only serves food during lunch, but offers some imports at a good price.</drink>
== Sleep ==
Recently constructed luxury hotels have found their way to Bophut's western end, but there are plenty of mid-
price options . * <sleep name="Anantara Resort & Spa Koh Samui (อนันตรา รีสอร์ท แอนด์ สปา เกาะสมุย)" alt="" address="Bo Phut Beach" directions="" phone="" url="http://samui.anantara.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="6,550-15,750 baht" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">On a quiet stretch of sand and the waters of the Gulf of Thailand, Anantara Resort offers an experience.</sleep> * '''Eden Bungalows''', 91/1 Moo 1 (''across the road from The Lodge''), tel. 077 427 645, [http://www.edenbungalows.com/]. Lacks beach views, but makes up for it with a small pool and a delightful garden. Standard bungalow 1,190-1,990 baht depending on the season. Caters particularly to French speakers.
* '''Baan Bophut''', 6/9 Moo 1, tel. 077 245733, [http://www.baanbophut.com]. Baan Bophut is a small, family-run hotel on the beach in the Fisherman's Village which serves independent travellers that seek to escape and relax. All ten rooms and its two room suite have views of neighbouring Ko Pha Ngan 12 km distant across Bophut Bay. Furnished in contemporary SE Asian style. All rooms have air-con, Wi-Fi and the usual amenities. Families are welcome, but to safeguard the tranquillity of other guests, children under 12 years are not encouraged. A continental breakfast is included and a comprehensive Thai menu, together with a broad selection of Western sandwiches, snacks, and main dishes are available throughout each day until late evening. The hotel's small beach bar is a popular spot for watching Samui's famed sunsets without going thirsty and the perfect location for guests to meet and mingle.
* <sleep name="Bophut Villa" alt="" address="Koh Samui Hills" directions="10 minutes drive from the airport and 10 minutes to Chaweng" phone="+64 7 865 6625" email="" fax="+64 9 353 1995" url="http://www.kohsamuivillagetaways.com/koh-samui-villa-432/" checkin="" checkout="" price="From US$4550/week"> 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms villa is made of 3 separate pavilions harmonized in a terraced compound setting with a luxuriant yet simple garden landscaping. Facilities include 20x8m Infinity edge pool, largest private pool on Koh Samui. Hi-fi System. Satellite ADSL system. TVs with giant screen and projectors, DVD players. Outdoor speaker system. Fully furnished inc. linens/towels</sleep>
*<sleep name="Karma Samui Resort" alt="" address="80/32 Moo 5, Bophut" directions="" phone="(66) 77 230 833" url="http://gaykarmaexperience.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="" lat="" long="">Karma Samui resort is nestled in a serene cove and rises gracefully from the blue seas and golden sands of a stunning tropical beach. The 36 pool villas are arranged in 5 terraces, maximizing the sea view and creating a village-like atmosphere. '''Gay/Lesbian friendly staff and management.''' Various lifestyle choices include private in-villa dining with the option of personal chefs and waiters, dining in Padma beachfront restaurant or a romantic beach dinner under the stars. $700US+</sleep>
'''Lawana Resort and Hotel'''. Located on Bophut Beach, Lawana has a range of private bungalows and rooms. The resort has pool and Jacuzzi and the sea is a few metres away. There is an open- air beach front restaurant. Rates are from 2,400 baht up.
* '''The Lodge''', 91/1 Moo 1, tel. 077 427 565. An elegantly decorated little hotel right on the beach in the Fisherman's Village, with great views of Ko Pha Ngan and the setting sun from every room. Air-con, fan, hot water, mini-bar, satellite TV. Standard rooms 1,500 baht per night.
* <sleep name="Prana Resorts and Spa" address="16/8, 16/13-26 Moo 4, Bophut" phone="
0 7724 6362" url="http://www.pranaresorts.com/ " price="From 4,748 baht ">A/C guest rooms equipped a cable TV, mini-bar, private terrace and free Wi-Fi. Restaurant, swimming pool, pool cocktail bar, spa and massage service, laundry service, and airport transfer.</sleep>
* <sleep name="Outrigger Koh Samui Resort and Spa" alt="" address="69/34 Moo 5, Bophut" directions="" phone="
(66 )77 417 300" url="http://www.outriggerthailand.com/samui/" checkin="" checkout="" price="" email="" fax="">Ten minutes away from Ko Samui International Airport and 20 minutes away from Chaweng, the island’s bustling beach resort, entertainment, and shopping area.</sleep>
* <sleep name="Thai Villa Getaways Bo Phut" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="http://www.kohsamuivillagetaways.com/" checkin="" checkout="" price="" email="" fax="">Most villas have TV, cable, air conditioning, swimming pools, incredible views, and many are staffed.</sleep>
* '''The Waterfront''' [http://www.thewaterfrontbophut.com/index.html]. At the far
end of the beach, this is a lovely little resort run by a British couple. All rooms have waterfront view and include breakfast. The resort offers a very family-friendly style for both children and adults, and the proprietors make you feel right at home. A short walk from Fisherman's Village for restaurants and bars.
World Resort Samui'''. Thai- style bungalows provide comfortable accommodation in a tranquil setting. Room rates range from 1,550 baht up.
* '''Zazen Boutique Resort and Spa''', 177 Moo 1 Bophut Beach, tel. 077 425 085,[http://www.samuizazen.com]. Zazen draws inspiration from the Japanese word meaning “to find inner peace,” and the resort in Samui is dedicated to guiding its guests on a journey of calm, pleasure and the satisfaction of reconnection to the self. The history of this charming resort (26 rooms) is one of family, friendship and care, creating a resort, restaurant and spa of unique design and close personal intimacy. At Zazen, a guest's preconceptions of a Samui hotel and a Thailand holiday are transformed into an experience of union, sociability, and unimagined pleasure. Distinctive and personal bungalows are located on the pristine beach front among verdant tropical gardens, with up-market furnishings, the latest in technological entertainment, and bright, luxurious style. Guests indulge in a home of the best in modern living combined with the finest of international comforts. The rates start from 5,600 baht for a garden deluxe.
Increasingly popular among western visitors is a trip to one of Samui's superb dentists. So uniformly good are the dentists, several of which are established in Bophut, and reasonable their prices, that medical vacationing is a growing segment in Samui. Some visitors arriving just to receive extensive dental treatment locally, at a fraction of the European cost. Samui's four major international hospitals each have dental departments, but there are numerous other excellent dental clinics to choose from, usually at lower cost. All conduct restorative or general dentistry from a basic inspection, clean and polish, routine fillings, extractions and root canal work, but several specialise in much more complex oral issues, including a broad spectrum of cosmetic treatments for the vain. It's noted that laser whitening is on offer at several dentists in Bophut for around
8000 baht, but this may come down as the recession deepens.