YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!
Given the beauty of the rest of the Andamans, Port Blair is an upcoming city no different from any other smaller Indian city, although the seaside has been tarted up a bit. It comprises of people from all over India and one can imagine it as mini India with no conflicts on region and religion. Aside from Cellular Jail, there are quite few places which include Ross Island, Barren Island (known for the only active volcano) and few others known for its historical importance. A week's trip will cover the must see places at the island's. You can however do day trip to other close by places like Wandoor, Ross Island etc.
[[Image:CellularJail Wings.JPG|thumb|Cellular Jail]]
* <see name="Cellular Jail" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="closed on Mondays" price="₹20" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">Built by the British to house political prisoners far away from the mainland. All prisoners were kept in isolation cells and subjected to a brutal work regime, with regular whippings and executions. Briefly taken over by the Japanese during WW2, who added outright torture to the palette. Today, however, the jail has been transformed into an immaculately kept national monument complete with a garden that seems very much at odds with the horror of the place.You can watch it from morning 9:30 a.m to 4 p.m. A light-and-sound show in Hindi (
* <see name="Corbyn's Cove" alt="beach" address="" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">An ok beach, and the closest to Port Blair. Popular with locals for swimming and watching the sunset. However, part of the beach was washed away by the 2004 tsunami and currents can be very strong, so be careful if you decide to swim.</see>
The unit here makes polyurethane products for mining sector. The products include Self Cleaning Filters & PolyurethaneScreens
*'''Boat tours from Port Blair''' You would be lured by agents to do a 3 island packaged tour (Ross + North Bay + Viper) in Port Blair for ₹400. The trip starts at 9am and ends at 5pm. Complimentary lunch and breakfast is provided by the tour operator. Please don’t fall into that trap. Since, Viper Island has now become a landfill for all the garbage and complete waste of time and money. It is much better to do a 2 Island tour, which are North Bay + Ross Island for ₹225 . Tour for North Bay + Ross island starts at 10am from Rajiv Gandhi Water Sports complex. Agents also try to sell single tour of Viper Island by the name of ‘Harbour Cruise’ for ₹90. That tour starts at 3pm. and ends at 5pm. Please avoid it completely.
You can get information about boat tours from A&N tourism, but not book the tour there. Instead, go to the aquarium jetty 1/2 hour before departure and you can buy the tickets from one of the four booths by the entrance.
*'''Snorkeling at Jolly Buoy''' Jolly Buoy is something which is a MUST SEE for everyone and you can watch much better Corals and fishes here snorkeling as compared to Havelock Island. To reach here, first you have to reach Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park at Wandoor. Wandoor is around 30 km from Port Blair. There is only one ferry which takes you from Wandoor to Jolly Buoy and leaves at around 9 am. In peak season (December – January), you might want to book those tickets in advance as they are limited. Tickets cost around ₹50 per head. At Jolly Buoy, everyone should do Snorkeling as it is a wonderful experience (No, you don’t need to know swimming for Snorkeling and it is completely safe). It cost you ₹550 per head for snorkeling. It’s a great experience to actually touch Star fish, Sea Cucumber and watch fishes at arm’s distance. It is a MUST TO CARRY eatables and water as you won’t find anything at all there to eat/drink. It is restricted to carry plastic bags to Jolly buoy, so please make necessary arrangements.
*'''Megapode Camping Resort''' owned by ANIIDCO ( A Govt undertaking) all facilities available in a Dome accomodation, having the mystic sea always in front to enjoy its ever changing beauty at all moments. Located on the way to Corbyn's Cove - an Ideal location for serenity lovers to feel the call of the nature. Best for the Honey Mooners. have Bar & Restaurant but '' Far from the Madding Crowd". tarriff is 2500 INR approx.
* <sleep name="Diviyum Manor" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="www.diviyummanor.in" checkin="" checkout="" price="₹1200-
* <sleep name="Holiday Resort" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="" checkin="" checkout="" price="₹1200-1500" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">This hotel is in the heart of the city. There are a couple of good grocery stores around & not to forget Uma Bakery House. The bus stop is right opposite. The rooms are awesome. The staff very sincere though a bit lazy.</sleep>
* <sleep name="Hotel Sentinel" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="http://www.hotelsentinelandamans.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="3500-5000 (for tourist season)" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">The hotel is located in the heart of Portblair city. Its just 2 km from Portblair airport. The facilities in the hotel include swimming pool ,conference room ,games room ,internet,business center etc.</sleep>
<nowiki>'''Sea Princess Beach Resort''' [http://seaprincessandaman.com/]-The resort is located on a hill top facing the sea .The resort has 33 sea facing cottages having beautiful view of the blue sea.The tariff for the season here ranges from ₹6000-10000.The facilities in the resort include swimming pool
* '''Chidya Tapu''' - a small fishing village with good snorkeling, located at the southern tip of South Andaman. Buses run several times per day from Port Blair and take 1.5 hours. The last bus that leaves the STS Bus Terminal is at 5pm and once it reaches Chiriya Tapu, the same will return to Port Blair. So please plan your trip accordingly. The best snorkeling is at a beach about 2km south. Chiriya Tapu is a very good sunset point. Auto fare for a to-fro journey plus waiting time is ₹500-600.
*[[Havelock Island]] Government ferry - Port Blair to Havelock at 6 Am and 2 PM. Ferry tickets
Recently a private operator has started a fast catamaran day ferry M.V.Makruzz. 09.00 AM departure from Port Blair to Havelock. Departure from Havelock to Port Blair - 4:00 PM . Takes 90 minutes. Tickets ₹750, ₹850 and ₹1,100 per person 1 way. Here you can get tickets on the same day. Of course, it's always better to book the ticket a day ahead. The inside is really good and clean. To get a window seat you must reach the ticket counter early.
* '''[[Ross Island]]''' - It was British administrative capital and it is beautiful to watch ruins of that set up. You’ll find lots and lots of deers on this island. There is a small canteen for some snacks and lunch. You need to walk a lot to see to cover entire place. A great 1/2 day side trip from Port Blair. Ferries daily at 8.30, 10.30, 12.00, 14.00. Buy tickets at the jetty behind the aquarium where the boat leaves from.