[[Image:Montauk_Point_Lighthouse.jpeg|thumb|400px|A lighthouse in [[Montauk]], Long Island]]
'''Long Island''' is an island stretching eastward from [[New York City]] in the [[Metro New York]] region. The largely suburban area is approximately 115 miles long from [[Brooklyn]] and [[Queens]] at the western end, to [[Montauk]] at the easternmost point. At its widest the island is approximately 20 miles from north to south. While Long Island geographically includes Brooklyn and Queens, politically Long Island in general includes [[Nassau County]] and [[Suffolk County (New York)|Suffolk County]] of [[New York State]] only.
While Long Island is home to seven million year-round locals, many commuting in and out of New York City, the Island is home to a lot of discreet tourism (concentrated in certain towns—[[Huntington (New York)|Huntington]], [[Fire Island]], [[Montauk]]) and also serves as the zip code for the vacation homes of many wealthy city dwellers, particularly in the Hamptons.
Long Island is essentially a suburban area throughout (except for the Twin Forks region, which is rural) and has few major towns [http://www.longislandexchange.com/towns.html].
<!-- Keep this list to no more than ten, please (there are 10 major towns). -->
* [[Town of Babylon]]* [[Town of Brookhaven]]* [[Town of Hempstead]]* [[Town of North Hempstead]]* [[Town of Oyster Bay]]* [[Town of Riverhead
The Long Island Railroad [http://www.mta.
The Long Island Expressway (the L.I.E.) has the high-occupancy-vehicle (HOV) lanes in both directions in Nassau and western Suffolk Counties. From 6 am to 10 am and 3 pm to 8 pm from Monday to Friday, it can save time for motorcycles (even without passengers) and cars with at least two occupants.
'''''It is extremely recommended that you use an HOV lane if possible! Traffic jams can last for hours and disrupt travel plans. Just make sure that you know what exit you will get off at. There are only certain points at which you can get out of the HOV lane.'''''
The Meadowbrook Parkway runs from Jones Beach, through Long Beach connecting the South Shore towns to Mineola and The Northern Parkway.
* <see name="Atlantis Marine World Aquarium" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" email="" fax="" url="http://www.atlantismarineworld.com/" hours="" price="">Located in [[Riverhead]] at the end of the Long Island Expressway. Has stingray and shark petting, large tank with sharks, moray eel, turtles and manta rays, outdoor exhibits including emus and tortoises. Many conservation efforts.</see>
Calverton, NY 11933 " directions="exit 73 of the LIE" phone="(631) 727-3600" email="" fax="" url="http://www.splishsplashlongisland.com/" hours="" price=""></do>
* Splurge at the 'Miracle Mile' shopping resort in Manhasset.
* Bar hop through Huntington, Port Jefferson, or
* Strike Go-Karts/Bowling/Arcade in New Hyde Park.
* ICE Nightclub in Farmingdale.
* Jones Beach and Captree State Park
* Visit the Saint James General Store off route 25-A in Saint James.
* Visit "Polish Town" in Riverhead.
* Explore Italian-American culture- go to Uncle Giusueppe's Market- trademark store in Smithtown on route 111.
* Drive around [[Old Brookville]] and look at how gigantic the houses are.