YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!
'''Spokane''' [http://www.visitspokane.com/] is a city in eastern [[Washington (state)|Washington]]. It is the second largest city in Washington State in the [[Pacific Northwest]] region, the largest city in the Inland Northwest, and the largest city in
[[Image:Spokane 3.jpg|thumb|300px|Downtown Spokane from Riverfront Park]]
=== Understand ===
Spokane is the economic hub of a surrounding agricultural area that serves roughly 1.5 million people. Its immediate metropolitan area is home to roughly 500,000 citizens and the city proper is home to 200,000. It is a rather conservative area, with a rather liberal city proper, and has a fairly small racial minority population (around 10%).
Car rentals are available in many locations, mainly near the Spokane International Airport.
'''Interstate 90''' is an excellent way to cross town East-West. A north-south freeway is under construction, and won't be finished for years. Allow more time if you have to go very far in this direction, as there's no express route yet. (The construction itself is unlikely to cause you any delays, as it's not on the main roadways.)
[[Image:Spokane's_Riverfront_Park.jpg|thumb|Downtown Oasis - Riverfront Park]]
*'''Manito Park '''located between 18th Ave and 25nd Ave, West of Grand Blvd. East of Bernard Street. Its steep hills make it a popular wintertime sledding spot. A zoo until 1933, Manito is now a year-round home to a friendly flock of geese and ducks. Visit the park's Rose Garden in the Summer, or the free Japanese Gardens on the Bernard Street side of the park. [http://inlandtour.debut.net/south-hill/manito.html]
*'''Monroe Street Bridge''' newly opened after 2 years of reconstruction. This bridge was built in 1911 and is the largest arch bridge in the United States of America. Take
*'''Riverside State Park''' Bowl and Pitcher is basalt rock formations in the middle of the fast flowing Spokane River. Overlook and suspension bridge on east side is a great way to experience Spokane's motto: Near Nature Near Perfect. [http://www.riversidestatepark.org]
*'''The Knitting Factory''' is one of the Northwest's premier concert houses. It is a 1,500-capacity concert venue, and features top performers from around the world as well as dance club nights hosted weekly. It is easily found in the heart of Downtown Spokane, on the corner of Sprague and Monroe. [http://sp.knittingfactory.com/]
* One of a Kind in the World Museum
* Spokane Falls
'''Golf'''- There are 33 golf courses within a short drive of the city center. The city of Spokane runs 4 Public golf courses including the award winning Indian Canyon, Spokane County runs 6 other public courses. The [[Coeur d'Alene]] resort golf course features a green floating in the lake.
*'''Lilac Festival'''[http://www.spokanelilacfestival.org/] The country's largest Armed Forces Day celebration including the Armed Forces Torchlight Parade. Held annually on the third Saturday in May.
*'''OutSpokane Pride Parade & Rainbow Festival''' [http://www.outspokane.com] Eastern Washington's largest Gay, Lesbian, and Transgendered festival. Held annually every June.
*'''Didier's Yogurt & More''', 10410 N Division St, ''+1 509'' 466-8434. Quality fast food from a family owned business. Great burgers and frozen yogurt. Located on the north side near Whitworth College.
*'''Mary Lou's Milk Bottle''', 802 W Garland Ave @ N. Post St., ''+1 509'' 325-1772. Originally built for the long defunct Benewah Dairy Company in mid-1930's, this small restaurant serves burgers and shakes. The building consists of a stuccoed milk bottle several stories high. A similar structure (not open to the public) is visible from the I-90 westbound off ramp to Maple St. (#280A), and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Cash only.
*'''Coffee Social''' [http://www.coffeesocial.net/] 3113 W Indiana, ''+1 509'' 327-7127. Coffee Social is a locally owned organic coffee house located on Indiana, 1.5 blocks west of Division. They serve Doma coffee and yummy food made with organic and locally sourced ingredients. Tuesday nights are game night, and Thursday nights might have music. Hours are 7 AM to 10 PM every day, and they offer a 10% discount on the drink of your choice if you arrive by foot, bike or bus. The free wi-fi and laid back atmosphere make this a great place to spend some time. Mondays: open mic/jam night, Tuesdays: game night, Thursdays: acoustic music night. Appears to be closed permanently as of December, 2010.
*'''Saunders Cheese Market''' [http://www.saunderscheesemarket.com/] 210 S Washington, ''+1 509'' 455-9400. Located in the east central part of downtown, this shop offers many cheeses from the United States, including the Pacific Northwest, and abroad. Cheese plates are also offered, and there is wine by the glass, or you can bring in wine from the conveniently neighboring Vino! Wine Shop.
*'''Microtel Spokane/Airway Heights''', 1215 S Garfield Rd, ''+1 509'' 242-1200, [http://microtelinn.com/reservations/locationdetail.asp?facid=1284]. Microtel is pleased to be the first economy/budget hotel brand to offer guests free local and free long distance calls in the continental United States, and free wireless high-speed Internet access in every room of our hotels, as well as advance online check-in and check-out with unlimited access to online folio information. These new amenities compliment our other standard amenities including remote TV with ESPN, CNN and one movie channel and complimentary continental breakfast.
*<sleep name="Red Lion Hotel at the Park Spokane Hotel" alt="" address="303 W North River Dr" directions="" phone="+1 509 326-8000" url="http://www.spokaneredlionpark.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="" lat="" long="">Situated at the edge of Riverfront Park, on the banks of the cascading Spokane River, the Red Lion Hotel at the Park is a beautifully renovated hotel that delivers a new level of hospitality to business and vacation travelers in Spokane, Washington.</sleep>
* '''Courtyard Spokane''', 401 N Riverpoint Blvd, ''+1 509'' 456-7600, Fax: ''+1 509'' 456-0969, [http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/GEGCH].
* '''Fairfield Inn Spokane Downtown''', 311 N Riverpoint Blvd, ''+1 509'' 747-9131, Fax: ''+1 509'' 747-0501, [http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/GEGFI].
* '''Holiday Inn''', 1616 S Windsor Dr, ''+1 509'' 838-1170, [http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/skash].
* '''Holiday Inn Express''', 9220 E Mission, ''+1 509'' 927-7100, [http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/skavl].
* '''Holiday Inn Express''', N 801 Division St, ''+1 509'' 328-8505, [http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/skaex].
* '''Residence Inn Spokane East Valley''', 15915 E Indiana Ave, ''+1 509'' 892-9300, Fax: ''+1 509'' 892-9400, [http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/GEGRI].
* '''Stratford Suites''', 11808 W Center Ln, Airway Heights, ''+1 509'' 321-1600, Toll-free: ''+1'' 888-705-8877, Fax: ''+1 509'' 321-1599, [http://www.stratfordsuites.com]. Extended stay rates available.*<sleep name="Wingate" alt="" address="2726 S. Flint Road" directions="" phone="+1 509 838-3226" url="http://www.spokanewingate.com/" checkin="" checkout="" price="" lat="" long="">All-new hotel. Courtesy Spokane Airport shuttle, free breakfast and complimentary Wi-Fi.</sleep>
Spokane is one of a few cities nationwide that has '''Wi-Fi''' access just about everywhere Downtown. The entire Downtown area is a '''Wi-Fi hotspot''' or an area where wireless Internet is provided free of charge (2 hours per day) if your computer is equipped for Wi-Fi. Unfortunately, there's no free Wi-Fi at the airport yet, though the Boingo network (daily fee) is available.
Although the destinations of [[Seattle]], [[Portland]], [[Glacier National Park]], [[Mount Rainier]], and [[Mt. St. Helens]] are popular with locals, these are ''not'' day trips, and even a two-day excursion will seem rushed. The distance to Mt. St. Helens is easily underestimated, as the only access is from I-5 between Seattle and Portland (with substantial backtracking).
* Being in the foothills of the Rockies, Spokane has excellent '''skiing''' in the wintertime. An hour's drive north of city takes you to its most cherished ski resort; '''Mt. Spokane Ski Resort'''. [http://www.mtspokane.com/]. 15 miles from the intersection of US Highway 2 and Highway 206 to the northwest of Spokane
* '''Mt. Spokane State Park''' [http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Mount+Spokane], a camping park in the Selkirk Mountains. At the top of the 5,883' summit there are great views, as far as [[Canada]]. Camping in the summer, cross-country skiing in the winter. 25 miles northeast of Spokane.
* '''[[Grand Coulee|Grand Coulee Dam]]''' [http://www.grandcouleedam.org] About 88 miles from Spokane, the largest electric power-producing facility in the U.S., and one of the largest concrete structures in the world. A laser light show is sometimes held after dark on summer nights (check schedule).
| minorl2=[[Coulee City]]