Autostrada A12, uscita ''Livorno''; for maps and tolls see: [http://www.autostrade.it/] (no pages in English as per 14 November 2004).
If hoping for maximum time in Florence...
* Take an ''early'' cab (perhaps shared with another couple) from your ship to and from the Livorno train station.
* At the station, ask for a train that goes to the Firenze Santa Maria Novella. Locals will happily help
. For a complete article see [http://www.ftroute.com/liv_fir_liv.htm].
Bus number 1 is a shuttle from train station to the port and vice-versa. Ticket for one hour of travel is 1,00 Euros, daily ticket is 3,20 Euros. For self-reliant cruise passengers, this is part of the most economical way to reach trains to Pisa and Florence
. A map is online [http://www.atl.livorno.it/tiposerv.html].
* Quattro Mori
* Museo Civico Giovanni Fattori [http://www.comune.livorno.it/arte_cultura/]
* Acquario Comunale "D. Cestoni" [http://www.comune.livorno.it/arte_cultura/acquario_comunale/acquario_comunale.htm] (closed: work in progress)
* '''Tuscan islands''' [http://www.islepark.it/]
* Other museums: [http://www.comune.livorno.it/arte_cultura/musei/musei.htm]
* Funicolare di Montenero [http://www.funicolarelivorno.it/html/home.htm] one of the few cable railways still in service (another one is in [[Montecatini Terme]] near [[Pistoia]].
*'''San Giovanni's spa''' [http://www.termelbane.com/ing/home.html]: the San Giovanni Spa, overlooking the Gulf of Portoferraio, stands on an area of 5 hectares of marshland which yields a silt with high therapeutic potential, making this spa establishment the only Thalassotherapy centre in the Western Mediterranean.
<do name="Marinetta Wellness" alt="Daily Spa" address="Via dei Cavalleggeri Nord, 3 - Marina di BIbbona" directions="Marina di Bibbona" phone="+390586600598" url=". " hours="10. 00" price="25. 00" lat="" long="">FOR THE RELAX, VITALITY AND WELLNESS To make an even more pleasant holiday, the Hotel Marinetta opens the door of a world of wellness covering all senses. “Who lives in harmony with himself, lives in harmony with the universe”MARCUS AURELIUS The Wellness Centre Marinetta offers an oasis of relax, with its 300sqm of total wellness to regenerate body and mind, wrapped in a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere, furnished with care for the details: always fresh flowers, soft background music, perfumed towels and aromatic candles. The wellbeing centre includes - swimming pool with hydromassage - two emotional showers - bio-sauna- tepidarium and calidarium - relax area with herb teas available - cabins for massages </do> === Spas ===
*'''Venturina's spa''' [http://www.termediventurina.it/terme/terme.html#]: the thermal waters Venturina were known by the Etruscans and Romans, hence the name "Aquae Populoniae. Flow in 45 ° Celsius throughout the year, with constant flow, and are classified as calcium-magnesium-sulphate-bicarbonate-alkalines.
* Cacciucco - fish stew
* Riso Nero - Black
Rise-(Risotto darkened with squid ink)
* Trattoria Sottomarino, Via dei Terrazzini 48/50 - ph. ''+39 0586'' 887025 - Close to Piazza della Repubblica and Fortezza Nuova (Venezia District). Fish cuisine, don't miss the gorgeous ''cacciucco'' - Closed on MO and TU.
in Borgo Cappucino famous for Caccucio and Black Rise
Livorno is a good starting point and base for a tour of Tuscany. You can reach [[Pisa]] in half an hour, [[Lucca]] and [[Florence]] in somewhat over an hour. (See note under "Get in" "By Boat" above). In a well-organized day you can tour
by car from a hotel in Livorno ...you might sample ''[[Chianti]]-side'', [[Monteriggioni]], [[San Gimignano]], [[Siena]] and [[Volterra]] and be back for dinner. However, return by expected time for a cruise ship departure could be quite problematic.