YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!
Java is Indonesia's fifth-largest island. Its 130 million people make up 65% of Indonesia's entire population, and makes Java the most populated island in the world. Covering an area of 127,569 sq. km (7% of Indonesia's area) and with a population density of 940 people/sq. km, Java is the world's most crowded island as well.
Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, is located on northwest region of Java. Surabaya (the second largest city in Indonesia), is located on East Java. Java acts as Indonesia's center of cultural and economic activity.
This is a quite remarkable island geographically with no less than 121 ''active'' volcanoes. Add to that a host of major national parks and, despite its very crowded nature, the island has lots to offer the visitor who
The main ethnic group in Java is '''Javanese''', except for the [[West Java]] region where most people are '''Sundanese'''. In the province of East Java, 22% of the population is of '''Madurese''' descent. Half of them live on the island of [[Madura]].
| region1name=[[West Java]]
| region1description=The massive urban sprawl of Jakarta, Bandung in the hills and national parks.
| region2name=[[Central Java]]
| region2description=Charming Yogyakarta and very important temples.
| region3name=[[East Java]]
| region3description=Indonesia's second city Surabaya and stunning volcanic scenery.
<!--This list should not exceed a representative sample of nine. Other listings should be moved to their respective regions.-->
* [[Anyer]] - beautiful beach, gateway to Krakatoa volcano
* [[Baluran National Park]] - savannah grasslands
* [[Bromo-Tengger-Semeru National Park]] - spectacular volcanic scenery, home of the Tenggerese
* [[Borobudur]] - the largest ancient Buddhist temple,
* [[Madura]] - large, remote, arid island and massively off the beaten path for visitors
* [[Mount Halimun Salak National Park]] - arguably the best and most complete rainforest area in Java, near [[Bogor]]
'''PT Angkutan Sungai Danau dan Penyeberangan'''/ASDP ferry services:
* Gianyar(Bali) from/to Gilimanuk (East Java)
* Bakauheni (Lampung/Southern
* Kamal (Madura) from/to Tanjung Perak (Surabaya)
Java has the best railway network in Indonesia, with trains connecting the capital city of [[Jakarta]] with most other cities and towns in the island. The '''eksekutif''' class is the best class, and consequently the most expensive.
Ticket reservations can be made starting one month in advance. No on-line ticket reservation is available, but availability can be gleaned on
[[Image:Borobudur.jpg|thumb|250px|right|Typical stupas of the upper levels at Borobudur]]
* Wake up early to see the sunrise at the [[Borobudur]] temple near Yogyakarta.
* Watch a spell-binding evening performance of The Ramayana against the lit backdrop of magnificent [[Prambanan]].
* Eat mie goreng from a street vendor ("kaki lima"). Try martabak. Eat ice-cream at Toko Oen in [[Malang]].
* Visit the huge shopping malls at [[Jakarta]].