YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!
'''Be'er Sheva''' (also spelled '''Beersheba''', ''Hebrew'' באר שבע) is a desert city of approximately 200,000 inhabitants in southern [[Israel]]. It is the sixth largest city in the country and is very much the gateway to the [[Negev]] region of Israel. The city is spread out by Israeli standards, as there is no shortage of land in the desert, and there isn't much of a downtown, except for a few streets in the old Turkish quarter. While Beer Sheva is mostly middle class, it does have three wealthy satellite suburbs with manicured landscapes, private villas and a Palm Springs feel to them: [[Omer]], [[Metar]] and [[Lehavim]]. A few Bedouin villages surround the city as well. Some feature tribal attractions which are worth a visit
Beer Sheva is at first sight highly disappointing for any visitor. As one enters the city, the oversized avenues and partially run down residential building blocks from the fifties and sixties make for an unwelcoming first impression. However, Beer Sheva can be of interest for any traveller who wishes to experience Israel off-the-beaten-track and there might be no better place to do this, since not even most Israelis are aware that Beer Sheva can be much more than only a stopover on the way to Eilat. The old Turkish town, as run down as it might be, has a very distinct feel and a is hugely underrated: it is the only planned Ottoman city in the entire region, erected in 1900 for strategic reasons in order to secure the Negev region and to control the
=== History ===
* From Tel Aviv: Highway
* From Jerusalem: Highway 1 towards Tel Aviv, Pick up route 3 at Latrun interchange, follow for 20 minutes to Route 40 at Re'em Junction. Straight ahead to Be'er Sheva. Total about 1:40.
* From Tel Aviv: Take line 380 from Arlozorov Terminal, or line 370 from Tel Aviv Central Bus Station. The trip costs only
Beersheva is served by buses
* <see name="Abraham's Well" address="" phone="" email="" fax="" hours="" price="" url="">Located at the edge of the Old Town and on the Wadi Beer Sheva, this small site contains the well where according to tradition Abraham made the oath with Abimeleh. </see>
* <see name="Israel Air Force Museum" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="+972-
* <see name="Municipal Zoological Garden" address="" phone="" email="" fax="" hours="" price="" url="">Located at the North-Western entrance to the city, this Zoo displays many indigenous animals.</see>
* <see name="Old Turkish Town (Old City)" alt="" address="" directions="" phone="" url="" hours="" price="" lat="" long="" email="" fax="">The Old Town was planned by Turkish and German engineers at the end of the 19th century. Its streets form a grid (very uncommon in the region). Many buildings date from Turkish times and have secret gardens behind high walls. Rehabilitated Smilansky Street has the best preserved buildings. Additionally there is a wide array of cheap stores and excellent ethnic restaurants and bars.</see>
* <see name="British WWI Military Cemetery" address=""
* <see name="Tel Beer Sheva Archeological Park" address="" phone="" email="" fax="" hours="" price="" url="">Located outside the city to its east (next to Omer), this archeological park is a [[World Heritage Site]] and one of the top sites to explore how people have lived in Biblical times.</see>
* <see name="Ben-Gurion University of the Negev" address="" phone="" email="" fax="" hours="" price="" url="">Located in the northern part of town on the road to Tel Aviv, this renowned university has a vibrant campus with many buildings designed by famous architects. There are two art galleries located in the Senate Building and in the Library, a small museum of medical history in the building of the Medical Faculty and many small exhibits in the buildings of the different faculties.</see>
* A few miles south is a modern desert spa facility, an oasis with natural hot mineral water springs "Neve Midbar". Hanging water pipes dump hot spring water on your back with such intensity,
* Go clubbing at the '''Forum Club''', '''Baraka Club''' or the '''גרDraft Dance Bar'''.
* Play billiards at '''Interpol''' or go bowling next door to it
The '''[http://www.bgu.ac.il/osp/ Ginsburg-Ingerman Overseas Student Program]''' at the [http://www.bgu.ac.il/ Ben-Gurion University of the Negev] offers a wide array of short and long-term Hebrew language and academic studies. For German speaking students the [http://www.bgu.ac.il/zis German Language Summer University] is organized yearly.
The Medical School for International Health at the [http://www.
The MAPMES (Master of Arts Program in Middle Eastern Studies) offers an English-language M.A. program to international students.
*- in the Civic Center (new city centre) close to the central train and bus stations ('''Arigato''', '''Kapulski''', '''Mor Noodle Bar''', '''Saba Jebetto''')
*- at the BIG shopping compound ('''Nafis''', '''Spagettim''', '''Rigoletto''', '''Shipudei haAvaz''', '''and the highly recommended Pitput''')
*- around the main campus of the Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (mainly Dalet neighborhood) ('''Gatro''', '''Small India''', '''
Israeli fast food (falafel, shawarma, hummus) is readily available almost everywhere across town. Some places have gained fame for their quality ('''Hummus Hamsa''', '''Universitat haShawarma''', '''Falafel haKerem''', '''Beit haFul''').
K = KosherSD = Student Discount with IDD = DeliveryS = Open on ShabbatV = Vegetarian Options
Arabica - 12 Herzel St (08-627-7802) Saba Gepetto - 109 Rager (08-627-2829)Kifris - 1 Herzel St, old cityMatte Midbar - 22 Histadrut St, old city (08-623-3370)Ta'amin - 101 Rasco Ct (08-627-0392)
China Town - Kenyon HaNegev (08-627-5489)Jade Palace - Beer Sheva Theater (08-627-5375)MOR Noodles Bar - 115 Rasco (077 766 5005)
Ahuzat Halperin - 23 Smilansky St, Old City (08-665-4854)
Hodu Ha-Ktana: Ringelblum St (08-648-9801) K,V,D
Balcona - 18 Herzel, Old CityGatro - Sports Center, Ben Gurion BlvdLa Piazza - Kiriat HaMemshalaSpagettim - BIG Shopping Center (08-665-5122) SD,D,SPizza Hut - Kenyon HaNegev (1700 50 6070) K,DDominos - (1700 70 7070) DPizza Guta - D
Ishimoto - Derekh Metsada, (077 7551100) S,D,VStreet Food - Tiv Tam, BIG Shopping Centre (08-625-2000) SD
Amuna - 58 Keren Ka'emet St, Old City (08-627-8865)Shipuday Sof HaDerekh - 111 HaPalmach St, Old City (08-628-9155)Shipuday HaTikva - Kenyon Kiriat HaMemshelah, near Rasco City (08-665-5722)Mifgash Shaul - BIG Shopping Center (08-623-0161)Schnitzel and Grill - 8 Henrietta Szold, Rasco City (08-628-6619)Chompy - 8 Henrietta Szold, Rasco City (08-645-0130)Nafis - BIG Shopping Center (08-628-2855) SAvazi - BIG Shopping Center (08-665-5274)Meat me at Shiri - 5 Pinchas HaChotziv (08-623-4935)
Hmamsky's - Yosef ben Matiyahu (University Gate 90)Yakuta - 18 Moredai Ha Geta'ot St, Old City (08-623-2689)
Barzilai - Dimona Rd, Opposite Hutzot Lahav (08-649-9942)
Misadat HaDagim Shel Zvili - 7 HaPalmach, Old City (08-627-5557)
Mona - 2 Shlomo HaMelech (054 664 7773) S,VBalkona - 81 Herzel St, Old City (08-665-1811)Ma'Afiat HaRishonim - BIG Shopping CenterMocca - 108 Rasco Ct (08-628-4339)Pocoloco - 97 Herzel St, Old City (08-628-2793)Pitput - 122 Herzel, Old City (08-623-7708)Kapulsky - Kanyon HaNegev (08-623-0425) KBetti Bar - 8 Henrietta Szold, Rasco CitySiesta - Kanyon Kiriat HaMemshelah and BIG Shopping Center Aroma - Ben Gurion Campus K and BIG Shopping Center (1700701017) SAshan Hazman - Ringelblum St (077 764 4218)Arcaffe - New side of the Big center S (free wireless, good place to study)
Forum Factor - Kiriat Yehudit, Industrial Park (08-626-2555)The Q - Kiriat Yehudit, Industrial Park Baraka - 70 Shoshet Bnei Ein Harod, Old City (08-628-7111)Red Bar - BIG Shopping CenterChika - 4 HaSadna St, Derekh Hevron (08-690-0330)
Belfast Irish Pub - Mitcham Slavador (08-623-7723)Izzy - Intersection, Omer South (052 270 0796)Publo - Near Dalet DormitoriesCoca - 50 Arlozarov, behind Gimmel DormitoriesCazma Lounge Bar - 50 ArlozarovMoncheela - Gimel, opposite Coca (052 2626 266)SanGam - Merkaz HaNegevManga - Teacher's Center, Rager St
Lots of water, it's in the desert.
*'''Hotel Arava''', 37 Histadrut st
*'''Hotel Eshel''', 56 Histadrut st
*'''Beit Yatsiv Youth Hostel'''
*'''The Desert Inn'''
Beer Sheva is a convenient departure point for excursions to [[Arad (Israel)|Arad]] and elsewhere in the [[Negev]].
Two good rental car agencies across from the train station (daily rate for automatic 200 Shekels - $45 on a walk in basis), but be careful