* <listing name="Vaal-Maseru Bus Services" alt="" directions="" address="" phone="+27 (0)18 462-1000" email="" fax="" url="http://www.vaalmaseru.co.za" hours="" price="">sometimes run a [[Johannesburg]] to Maseru service. Its best to call them for up-to-date information.</listing>
* <listing name="Intercape" alt="" directions="" address="" phone+27(0)21 380-4400" email="" fax="" url="http://www.intercape.co.za/" hours="" price="">drop off at [[Ladybrand]] from where its a 20 minute minibus to Maseru.</listing>
* <listing name="Leralleng Airport Shuttle" alt="" directions="" address="3 Orpen Road, Maseru 100" phone="+266 2231 4522" fax="+266 2231 4522" email="[email protected]" url="http://www.leralleng.net" hours="" price="M950 one way person"> Leralleng Airport Shuttle offers safe and reliable shuttle service to and from OR Tambo and Bloemfontein International Airports.</listing>[[User:220.127.116.11|18.104.22.168]] 11:30, 4 September 2009 (EDT)
Being the transport hub of Lesotho, anywhere in Lesotho that's connected by road to here will have a Minibus taxi service to Maseru. For more information on taxis, see [[Lesotho#By_taxi|here]].
The best cab service is Comfort Taxis. They are very safe and reliable. Call them on (266) 62745199. If you are dialling from South Africa, call 0026662745199. Speak to Khosana who will arrange every detail of your trip. Expect to pay R30 one way.
Moshoeshoe Airport is located 18km from Maseru. '''South African Airways''' [http://flysaa.com] operates a couple of daily flights from Maseru to [[Johannesburg]], which typically cost around M2200. Luggage is lost very regularly and there is no lost luggage reporting system. You should arrange taxi pick-up in advance as
often there are no taxis at the airport. Taxis charge around M50-80.
'''Mission Aviation''' [http://www.maf.org/lesotho] flies from the smaller Moeshoeshoe I airport just off Airport Road, 2km from central Maseru. They offer charter flights to amongst other places, [[Mokhotlong]], [[Thaba-Tseka]] and [[Katse]] and are contactable on +266 2232 5699. Flights are fairly expensive, their little planes can be cramped, but they fly to most airstrips in Lesotho.
* '''The Lehakoe Club and Gym''', Moshoeshoe Road (''next to the Central Bank, near the Houses of Parliament'') Excellent gym by any standards, with 2 swimming pools, tennis & squash courts, steam rooms and sauna.
M142 per month membership, also daily and weekly membership available.
* '''Lesotho National Tennis Courts''' Kingsway bypass, functional and cheap tennis courts, tuition available.
* '''Maseru Golf Course''', play a round with some alcoholic expats.
* '''Moeshoeshoe Day''' is celebrated in Maseru in early March with colourful processions through the city centre.
* '''Go canoeing on the Caledon river''' The Lesotho-Durham Link [http://www.durham-lesotholink.org.uk/YAP.htm] offer canoeing trips (phone in advance to see what they can offer, +266 22325166). Around M200 for an afternoon.
* '''Join the Hash''' The Maseru Hash House Harriers is a good way of meeting expats, get some exercise, and see some more off-the-beaten-path parts of Maseru. [http://www.africahash.co.za/HashDetail.asp?Identity=73]. It is quite tame, with the
stupid drinking games kept to a minimum.
* '''Hike up the Hill''' behind the Lesotho Sun. Behind the hotel is a rocky hill (where they are now building the new Chinese funded parliament building - Lesotho supports the One China policy). Should take about 30 minutes to climb but is well worth the effort - go before sunset and take your camera!
===Supermarkets & Food===
*'''OK Shoprite''', Kingsway (LNDC Centre, behind the Vodacom shop) - Good stocking up place before you head to the mountains
*'''OK Shoprite''', Moeshoeshoe Rd - again a good stock up place.
*'''Fruit & Veg City''', Kingsway (Cathedral end) better fruit and veg than shoprite, also has a very random 'Italian deli' section selling very expensive pasta and italian wine.
*'''Bensons Quality Fresh Meats''', Main North road - very good (South African run) butchers. They deliver too. +266 22321479
*'''Basotho Hat''', Kingsway - a government run craft store which stocks locally made crafts.
*'''Chinese tailors''', Kingsway, opposite Fruit & Veg - good tailors who can duplicate a suit for M1000ish (they take the measurements from an existing suit rather than measure you)
*'''Lesotho Cellphone Services''', 10 Lioli Rd. Industrial Area - a cheaper place to purchase white goods and electrical items than the furniture shops along Kingsway
*'''New Asia''', Kingsway (''behind Victoria Hotel'') - good chinese restaurant - access from the carpark behind Victoria Hotel
*'''Peace Restaurant''', Moeshoeshoe Rd (just down from Nando's) - at the back of a Chinese grocery shop the Peace Restaurant offers an authentic chinese eating experience - good food, plastic chairs, chinese karaoke on Friday and Saturday nights! You can almost believe you are in China
*'''Good Times Cafe'''
- LNDC Centre, Kingsway (above the Vodacom shop) - the only nightspot in Maseru also serves up adequate South African fare - OK for lunch. Tends to be empty in the evenings except for a few expats. Big screen for live football.
*'''Lancer's Inn''', Kingsway - good food but slow service
, but how often do you get to eat with the King of a country? King Letsie III regularly dines here!
*'''Lesotho Sun''', Nightingale Rd - a chinese restaurant, and a grill restaurant, both quite average for the price (expensive) but if you are after a nice steak then it's more convienient than a trip to [[Ladybrand]]. There's a gluttonous all you can eat buffet on Sundays at lunchtime with loads of food. Doors open at 12.30 but it soon packs out as post-church middle-class Basotho families stuff themselves. Get there early if you want to get your nose in the trough! M120 per person.
*'''Maseru Sun Cabanas''', runs the same Sunday lunch buffet food-fest as the Lesotho Sun.*'''Regal Restaurant''', Kingsway (part of the Basotho Hat complex) - the only non-hotel, non-chinese restaurant that offers a pleasant dining experience - good (British-style) indian food, appealing interior and good service.
There are no backpacker type places in Maseru . For affordable tourist accommodation head to [[Semonkong|Semonkong Lodge]] or [[Malealea]] in the mountains, or head to [[Ladybrand]] in South Africa. The following budget accommodations were built as training centres although they do cater for travellers if you ask in advance!
* <sleep name="
Anglican Training Centre" alt="" address=" Corner Assisi Rd and Lancers Rd" directions="" phone="+266 2232 2046" email="" fax="" url="" checkin="" checkout="" price=""> Basic and cheap.</sleep>
* <sleep name="
Lesotho Work Camps Association" alt="" address=" Kingsway" directions=" behind the Catholic cathedral on the roundabout at the top of Kingsway" phone="" email="" fax="" url="" checkin="" checkout="" price=" M20 per person per night"> Hot water and a small kitchen, although not so clean as the Anglican Training Centre.</sleep>
You can camp also - only recommended for the summer months ( October through May)
* <sleep name="Lesotho
- Durham Link campsite" alt="" address=" off the Agric / Old Airport Road, on the northern edge of the lake" directions="" phone=" +266 22325166" email="" fax="" url=" http://www.durham-lesotholink.org.uk/maseru_campsite.htm" checkin="" checkout="" price=" M35 per person"> 3 km from the centre of Maseru you'd need to get a taxi or a combi down the old airport road, ask to go to the Agric College as your driver may not have heard of the place.</sleep>
Both the Sun Hotels and Lancers Inn are majority government owned, hence the staff can´t be sacked - may explain the quality of service at these places!
* <sleep name="Lancer's Inn" alt="" address="Kingsway" directions="" phone="22312114"
[email protected]" fax="22310223
" checkin="" checkout="" price="Double rooms from
.00, singles from
">Right in the centre of Maseru, just off Kingsway, this is a nice colonial style hotel, reasonable rooms, and also self-catered rondavels available. Lancer's tends to be used by business travellers, although King Letsie occasionally dines in the restaurant. </sleep>
* <sleep name="Lesotho Sun" alt="" address="" directions="20min uphill walk from the centre." phone="22313111" url="http://www.southernsun.com" checkin="" checkout="" price="Double rooms from M862, singles from M762.00." lat="" long="">Perched up high on a hill overlooking the city. Not one of the Sun hotel chain's flagship hotels but it is the most 'luxurious' hotel in the city, with a very nice swimming pool. As Lesotho's classiest hotel it hosts endless government workshops and is where foreign dignitaries stay when visiting for regional conferences. Refurbishment has been on the drawing board for ages but is always set to commence 'next year'. There is a casino on site, gym, small cinema and business facilities.</sleep>
* <sleep name="
Maseru Sun Cabanas" alt="" address=" Old Europa" directions="" phone=" 22312434" url="" checkin="" checkout="" price="Double rooms from M862, singles from M762.00" lat="" long="" email="" fax=""> Much the same as the Lesotho Sun but has a larger pool. No need to go anywhere to get food because there is a resturant by the pool site that serves delicious food[both western and traditional food]</sleep>
There is a large Post Office on Kingsway. Post is unreliable and can take up to a month to reach its destination, but usually more likely to take a fortnight. Sending a letter by airmail will cost you approx 2.40LSL.
and Embassies===* [[Image:ca-flag.png|20px]] <listing name=" Consulate of Canada" address="3 Orpen Road
Old Europa Maseru" phone="+266 22 315365" fax="+266 22 315366" email="[email protected]
* [[Image:us-flag.png|20px]] <listing name="United States