YOU CAN EDIT THIS PAGE! Just click any blue "Edit" link and start writing!
'''Saariselkä''' [http://www.saariselka.fi/eng/] is a largish winter sports center high up in [[Finnish Lapland]], some 250 km north of the Arctic Circle and nearly 1000 kilometers away from the southern capital [[Helsinki]].
Nestled in a valley, Saariselkä is a compact strip of a village with one gas station, one supermarket, one liquor store and a slew of hotels and restaurants, but it's quite manageable on foot and located only 30 km away from the town of [[Ivalo]] and its airport. The
The easiest method is to take a Finnair flight from [[Helsinki]] to [[Ivalo]] airport (1:40, price €100-250 depending on the season), and then a connecting 20-minute bus ride into town.
Once in Saariselkä, you can pretty much walk anywhere you want to, but if you have gear in tow just hop aboard the (all day ticket
* Many tourists, especially the Japanese, come to Saariselkä to
* But there's plenty of standard Lappish tourist fare to keep you occupied during the day as well, ranging from '''husky safaris''' and '''reindeer-pulled sleighs''' to '''snowmobile''' and '''snowshoe''' treks through the countryside.
They also arrange viewing the ''''Northern Lights'''' with a private guide, a wonderful way to spend an evening in the Tundra ( if only the lights could be guaranteed ! )
* '''Kaunispään Huippu''', atop Kaunispää, [http://www.saariselka.fi/huippu/indexen.html]. Offers panoramic views of the mountains around and is a good option for a lunch or just a hot drink. I agree, do try the Reindeer fillet with peppercorns, worth taking a drive up for a meal.
* '''Supermarket Kuukkeli'''. The little canteen inside offers the cheapest eats in town. Reindeer hash, cranberry jam and mashed potatoes will set you back €14,90.
* '''Pirkon Pirtti''', most famous restaurant in Saariselkä. Hard to find vacant table - delightful log fires and delicious traditional dishes,a great place to dine.
* '''Restaurant Linnansali''', at Hotel Riekonlinna, expensive and fine. Specialities cod tongue and king crab.
* '''Muossi''', snack kiosk near Holiday Club, hamburgers etc.
* '''Kotipizza''', like it sounds, pizza, in Siula shopping center.
* '''Rakka''', ala carte, '''Rosso Express''', pizza and '''Houseburger''', hamburgers at Holiday Club
* '''Petronella'''. Specialities include Reindeer filet and Lake Inari whitefish.
* '''Siberia''' fine dine in exotic
* '''Saariselän Tunturihotelli'''
* '''Hotel Laanihovi''' (in Laanila near Saariselkä), rooms 79€ in the summer, 97€ in the high season € [http://www.laanihovi.net]
Cellphone networks may not cover many places in between fields.
Tap water is potable and of high quality.
In case of emergency call number '''112'''. If you need medical consultation less urgently, contact to MedInari health service