Southern Barbados is in Barbados.
This is the southern region of Barbados encompassing the parishes of Christchurch and Saint Philip. Tourists will end up mostly within a couple km of the beach. Almost continuously along the coast there are small towns each of which have their own simple attractions.
Highway 7 is the main road through Southern Barbados along which all public transport runs. Routes from Bridgetown are going eastward whereas routes from the airport or Sam Lord's Castle (also known just as Castle) are going westward.
Getting around on the south is a breeze. Public transport operates regularly (as often as every 10 minutes) along the south coast road and all cost B$2.00 per trip. Government operated "transport board buses" are easily recognizable large blue buses with a yellow stripe. Mini-buses (smaller yellow buses with blue stripe) and route taxis (small white minivans with a purple stripe with 'ZR' on their license plates, seat up to 15 people) are privately operated. Most buses operate to and from Bridgetown, but a few routes to the west coast will by-pass the city.
Private taxis (not be confused with mini-buses/route taxis) are relatively much more expensive starting at B$2/km. At night though they are the safest option.
- Surfing. The whole southern coast is filled with beaches for surfing, wind surfing or kite surfing. Westward towards Maxwell is better for beginners whereas eastward towards Silver Sands is better for those with more experience. edit
- Charles Watersports Inc., Dover Beach, Christ Church, ☎ +1 246-254-2175 ([email protected]). M-Su. Various water sports offered for up to an hour, a day or by week. Windsurfing US$30/hr US$115/day, snorkeling $7.50/hr US$20/day, sailing US$35/hr US$150/day, ship wreck snorkel tour US$30, swim with turtles US$60/day, jet ski US$60/30min, surf boards US$25/hr US$80/day, double kayak US$25/30min US$100/day, boogie board $7.50/hr US$30/day. Does not take credit cards, larger lunch/drink included turtle snorkeling tours are better value for money. US$7.50-$150. edit
- Oistins is a Small fishing town on the south coast, with a few bars and shops. Fish straight off the boats is prepared and cooked by the beach. Friday Night is the Oistins Fish Fry with a carnival like atmosphere and fish cooked fish for sale from a number of huts by the beach.
- Wind Surf. Silver Sands is the best-known wind surfing location on the island. edit
- Bert's, Rockley, Christ Church (on Hwy 7), ☎ 246-435-7924 ([email protected]), . Canadian sports bar at Canadian prices. edit
- Surfer's Bay Beach Bar , Green Garden, Silversands/Atlantic Shores, Christ Church, Tel: (246) 2625483 [email protected]. Beautiful rustic beach bar . In the heart of the surfing belt.
- Mr. Delicious Snack Bar, Miami Beach (Enterprise Beach), Oistins, Christ Church, ☎ (246) 233-3354, . 11:30AM to 5:30PM. Mr. Delicious Snack Bar is #1 for DELICIOUS bajan food and drinks! Here you can find the best fishcakes. flying fish cutters, roti and rum punch in Barbados as well as lots of other local cuisine. For over 32 years on Miami Beach near to Oistins town, this fantastic Bus converted into a beach bar right on the beach is a must visit for excellent food & drinks at great prices! edit
The South Coast of Barbados is lined with all sorts of accommodation from budget hotels, apartments and guest houses to more upscale condos and hotels. With a surge in condo developments over the last 5 years, there are several self-catering apartments available for rent by owner, as well as through development rental pools, in areas like Hastings, Worthing, Rockley and St. Lawrence Gap (the entertainment district of Barbados).
In Silver Sands, further east, but still considered South Coast, there are smaller hotels, guest houses and beach houses. This area is popular among surfers and wind-surfers. On the South Coast in general, prices range from US $50 to $450 per night.
- Bajan Breeze Guest House , Hart's Gap, Christ Church, Tel: (246) 429 9608 [email protected]. Beautiful guesthouse rooms at US$49 with private bath and optional air conditioning in a recently renovated traditional Bajan family home. In the Garrison Historical District a 2-minute walk to beaches.
- Moonraker Reef Guest House and apartments , Green Garden, Silversands/Atlantic Shores, Christ Church, Tel: (246) 2625483 [email protected]. Beautiful guesthouse rooms from US$49 with private bath and optional air conditioning. In the heart of the surfing belt.
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences, St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados BB15026, ☎ 246-418-1800, . Ocean Two is a 4 star, beachfront resort on the south coast of Barbados offering unparalleled luxury and service. ("13.066043”,-59.566029) edit
- Sea Breeze Beach Resort, Maxwell Coast Road, Christ Church, Barbados BB15031, ☎ 246-428-9441, . A four-star all-inclusive Barbados resort delivers renovated rooms, two pools, three restaurants, and free WiFi. (",-59.5616) edit