- For other places with the same name, see South Coast (disambiguation).
SouthCoast is a region along the southern coast of Massachusetts bordering about 28 miles of Buzzards Bay, an estuary of the Atlantic Ocean. The area has a history of whaling and fishing industries, agriculture, and, in the cities, a collapsed textile industry. Its many scenic harbors, offshore islands and beautiful beaches make the SouthCoast a popular destination for tourism, boating and fishing - especially in the summer and autumn season.
Cities and Towns
Locations of SouthCoast towns
- Acushnet - Original home of the Titleist golf ball.
- Fall River - The largest city in the region, home of Battleship Cove.
- Fairhaven - A primarily residential coastal community, home to West Island.
- Freetown - A suburb on the Assonet River.
- Dartmouth - Home to University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
- Mattapoisett - Classic coastal small town.
- New Bedford - Famous as a whaling and fishing center, it hosts the Whaling Museum National Park.
- Wareham - "The Gateway to Cape Cod"
- Westport - Seaside community with dramatic Horseneck Beach.
This diverse and beautiful region runs between Rhode Island on the west and Cape Cod on the east and covers the spectrum from blue collar to wealthy towns. The SouthCoast region is anchored by its two harbor cities of New Bedford and Fall River, both of which have deep roots in fishing and whaling. Fishing brought a large population of Portuguese and Azoreans to the area in the late 19th century, making that a distinctive feature of the area.
Interstate 195 runs between Providence, Rhode Island and Cape Cod and services most of the SouthCoast towns.
Major airports are in Boston(BOS) and Warwick (Rhode Island)(PVD). New Bedford has a regional airport.
Boats can harbor in many of the towns, including Fall River, New Bedford, Fairhaven, Mattapoisett and Marion.
Though there is public transportation, a car is the best way to see the area.
- Southeastern Regional Transit Authority (SRTA), 134 Elm Street New Bedford Transportation Center, (508) 997-6767 (email: [email protected]), . Bus service between SouthCoast towns.
- A nice scenic trip in the eastern end of the SouthCoast area can be had by just following Route 6 along the coast through Wareham, Marion, Mattapoisett and Fairhaven while watching for points of interest and making the occasional side trip toward the shore.
- At the western end of the SouthCoast see Padanaram village in Dartmouth (Route 6 to Tucker Rd to Gulf Rd). Then travel west to Russells Mills village at Russells Mills Rd and Rock O'Dundee Rd. From there head to Hix Bridge Rd across the Wesport River to Westport and Little Compton and Tiverton, Rhode Island. These towns are largely rural, with the attractions being mostly scenery.
The region has direct access to fresh seafood and the local chefs know what to do with it. Also try some of the Portuguese specialties such as "cacoila", a marinated pork, often served in a sandwich. Visit a Portuguese bakery -- if only to try the subtle "sweet bread".
A good next stop could be: