Sondrio is a province in the Lombardy region of northern Italy.
| [[File:|250px|frameless|Sondrio (Province)]]
| Quick Facts
|| 3,212 km²
| Country code
|| 0342, 0343 (prefix)
| Time Zone
|| CET (GTM +1)
Sub-Regions Of Sondrio
- Sondrio - the town itself is not so noteworthy though it does have a few nice monuments and churches. However it is a great location to explore the surrounding mountains and ski resorts. It won alpine town of the year in 2007.
- Chiavenna - a nice and picturesque historic town with several nice churches and a pretty river flowing through the city center.
- Mazzo di Valtellina - nice small medieval town located in the Valtellina valley. Part of the club The most beautiful villages in Italy
- Teglio - nice medieval town surrounded by mountains, it also has a beautiful renaissance palace: Palazzo Besta
- Tirano - mountain town with a very nice sanctuary and the beginning of the Rhaetian Railway line which ends in Thusis is a Unesco World Heritage Site
- Acquafraggia Waterfalls - very nice waterfalls located in Piuro
- Ganda Bridge - a nice medieval bridge located in Morbegno
- Stelvio National Park - a beautiful national park shared with the Trentino-Alto Adige region. It offers some of the best and most amazing landscapes and hikes of the Alps.
The Sondrio province is a mountainous region with lush green valleys in summer and isolated white gorges in winter. Lombardia is not as well advertised as the Sud-Tirol/Bolzano area of the Italian Alps yet it is just as scenic and tourist ready. The province borders Switzerland to the north and the plains of Italy to the south.
- Lombard - the local language (simply named as "dialett")
- Italian - In remoter areas, some of the residents may not speak anything else (perhaps except Lombard).
- German - towards the border with Switzerland
- Romansch - much of Sondrio borders with the Romansch speaking area of Grisons
Milan, being the nearest large city has the closest international airport, either Malpensa or Linate, the later is nearer.
Hearty Italian food.
Milan and the rest of the Italian lakes await in the rest of Lombardia. Venice is not far away either. Switzerland is just over the border and there are many scenic mountain passes to help you get there.