Sogamoso is a city in the department of Boyacá in Colombia. It is located at 2,500 m above sea level and the population is around 150,000 inhabitants.
- From Bogotá : catch a bus at the Portal Norte, 4h30 (23,000 COP)
- From Tunja : frequent buses, 1h30 (7,000 COP)
- El Templo del Sol (Sun Temple)
- La Pilita de la Unión
- La Casona de Pie de Cuesta (Big house)
- Sacred Fountain of Conchucua
- El Oratorio (Chapel)
- El Arco De Monquirá (Arch)
- Hill and Chapel of Santa Barbara
- Museo arqueologico de Sogamoso Eliécer Silva Célis, Calle 9a No 6-45, ☎ (098) 770 3122. Tu-Sa: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. / Su and holydays: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.. Inside displays archeological findings of the muisca (chibcha) civilization, don't miss the mummys. Outside is a reconstruction of an indian village containing several houses as well as the impressive 2 stories Templo del Sol. Adult: 3,500 COP / Student: 3,000 COP. edit
- Agama Yoga, Finca San Pedro, Sogamoso Km. 2 via Aquitania, ☎ 312 567-7102, . Run by Juan who's been trained for more than 7 years around the world, this is South America's first and only Agama Yoga School. He gives Spanish and English weekend Yoga workshops of introduction to Yoga in Colombia and he hopes later to bring these teachings to other Spanish-speaking areas and communities. 30,000 COP per class. edit
- Marques de Puntalarga Winery, Km 7 autopista Duitama Nobsa (Look up for country flags up the hill, the entrance is not well marked), ☎ 316 898-3532, 310 302-5059 ([email protected]), . Located at the altitude of 2,600 m in a sunny valley between Duitama and Nobsa, this is South America´s highest commercial winery. It specialises in white wine and its Reisling has won international awards, including a 2nd prize in Strasbourg. Bottles are sold starting at 40,000 COP. edit
- Thermal Pools in Iza. Iza, aka 'the green nest of the valley' and famous for its local desserts, especially popular on a Sunday afternoon around the central plaza, offers thermal pools and sauna as an opportunity to relax and unwind. Choose between multiple pools for varying temperatures. Entry cost is 12,500 COP for the day and less if you are staying at Finca San Pedro. You will need to take a short taxi from Iza to reach the pools.
- Lago de Tota and surrounding villages. Colombia's highest and largest natural lake, at an altitude of 3,015 m, is easily reached from Sogamoso by bus and is a must see. 80% of Colombia's white onion is grown around it. Dotted around this spectacular lake are towns including Aquitania, its largest municipality, which is well worth a visit and famous for its trout. Visit Restaurant 'Don Lucho', to the right of the Cathedral, to try fresh rainbow trout and regional drink 'Refajo' which is a mix of beer, apple soda and malt. Also worth visiting Don Javier's home-made 'Museo Lago de Tota', with useful tourism info, history and handicrafts. He also offers affordable accomodation at his home in a traditional atmosphere. Other towns include Tota and Cuitiva. This beautiful circuit around the lake is an achievable day trip by bus from Sogamoso with some spectacular scenery and european inspired cottages. Taking a walk past the pictoresque cemetary to the hill-top with the crucifix and chapel is a nice, scenic 2-3 hour walk. The lake also boasts a beautiful white sand beach Playa Blanca hailed as the highest beach in the world, located between Tota and Aquitania and past Iza (6500 COP from Sogamoso). There is a restaurant and BBQs here and remember to check returning bus times. Or you can continue further circling the lake to nearby Aquitania (3500 COP from Playa) and return to Sogamoso through El Crucero crossroads.
- Other Towns - An easy bus ride from Sogamoso are numerous colonial towns well worth exploring. Visit the white washed Tibasosa with it's beautiful plaza and home of the fruit 'Feijoa', which cafes serve in juice, sweets, ice cream and alcohol. You can also find great bread at Firavitoba, and a wide sample of ‘ruanas’ (traditional wool ‘poncho’) and handicrafts at Nobsa. Don't miss Monguí, sharing with Villa de Leyva as Boyacá's most beautiful village (20 km bus ride from Sogamoso, 4.000 COP, 40 min), is located high amongst mountains and near Páramo de Ocetá and Siscunsi, famous for its Laguna Negra and Ciudad de Piedra's royal way and trekking opportunities. The catedral and adjoining monastery here is magnificent, as well as Puente Real de Cal y Canto.
- Refajo : a mix of beer, apple soda and malt.
- Hostel Finca San Pedro, ☎ +57 312 567 7102 ([email protected]), . This family run posada is located on a 2 hectare farm on the edge of Sogamoso. There is a fully self contained cottage, it's best to email the Finca for prices and availability. Most of these prices include breakfast with coffee, aromatic tea, toast and fruit. Also included is free internet and WiFi, hot water, laundry service, a safe and a personal sauna. Services including massage, aromatherapy, music and fire therapy's are also available. Best to email prior to arrival to ensure availability. Once in Sogamoso, a taxi from the bus terminal will cost around 5,000 COP. Otherwise, the local bus heading to Aquitania runs straight past the finca, keep a look out for the finca´s archway, its sign and a palm tree which are just there in its access. Dorm bed: 25,000 COP / Double: 70,000 COP / Camping: 10,000 COP. edit
- Hostal La Cazihita, Cra Ocho No Nueve, ☎ 3144116104. Don Miguel and Dona Blanca have converted their beautiful home into a hostel that will appeal to travelers who are looking for a restful and comfortable place to stay. Their hostel is conveniently located for making trips to Lago de Tota or the beautiful Paramo Oceta. Don Miguel also can arrange guided tours or give information about these locations. The people are very kind and helpful. edit
- Tibasosa : Famous as the world capital of the feijoa fruit. Well conserved main plaza surrounded by shops selling feijoa derived products : sweets, ice cream, liquor, arequipe. (Bus: 1,000 COP)
- Monguí : Beautiful colonial village set in the hills that celebrated its 400 years in 2001. Access to the Páramo de Ocetá and Laguna Negra by neighbouring Mongua. (Bus: 4,000)
- Sugamuxi, . It is the name of whole province where Sogamoso is located as its capital, with twelve more (small) towns which are all worth visiting for its own highlights in nature and culture. Complete list of towns in Sugamuxi are: Sogamoso, Aquitania, Tota, Cuítiva, Pesca, Iza, Firavitoba, Tibasosa, Nobsa, Monguí, Mongua, Tópaga, Gámeza. More details can be found in a local guide called. edit