Skykomish  is a historic railroad town located within the North Cascades region of Washington State.
In the early 1900's, this little town served as a crew-change and refueling point. Today, Skykomish is growing into a gateway to outdoor recreation and tourism. Much of the historic town still stands as it did 60 to 120 years ago. Whether you’re in the area to bike, fish, hike, ski or ride the whiter waters of the Skykomish River, you’re never far from an adventure.
Take your electric car. Skykomish is 67 miles from Seattle
Skykomish is 34 miles east from Monroe and 49 miles east from Everett on US Hwy 2, which runs East-West. Take your electric car. There is a charging station to the left of the steel bridge as you enter town from US-2.
- Amtrak Skykomish does NOT have an Amtrak stop YET. It's in the works. Stay tuned.
- Amtrak has Thruway Connecting Service to and from Seattle (SEA) or Everett (EVR) to Skykomish (SKE). Also, from Wenatchee (WEN) or Leavenworth (LEV) to Skykomish (SKW). May be combined with rail travel on an Amtrak ticket. (1/2016 prices) $22
- Northwestern Trailways have daily service between Spokane- Moses Lake- Ephrata- Quincy- Wenatchee- Leavenworth- Stevens Pass- Skykomish- Everett- Seattle- Tacoma $22
- Greyhound also has a bus from Seattle, but there is no return trip available on Greyhound. $22
Skykomish has an airport, but there are no facilities. FAA Identifier - S88
Skykomish State airport This webcam shows
the conditions at the airfield.
Skykomish is one of the last few stops going North along the wild and scenic Pacific Crest Trail. The trail spans 2,650 miles (4,265 kilometers) from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon, and Washington. About 150-200 "Thru-hikers" complete the trek each year. Skykomish is an important re-supply point for them.
Skykomish is very small. It takes approximately 15 min to walk from one side to the other on foot.
Skykomish Historic Commercial District
- Skykomish Historic Commercial District, . FREE. edit
- Great Northern Depot, . FREE. edit
- Maloney's General Store, . FREE. edit
- Skykomish Historical Society Museum, (By the gas station, turn right onto 5th St. N. Cross the bridge to the stop sign. Turn right on Railroad Ave.), . FREE. edit
- Waterfront, (By the gas station, turn right onto 5th St. N. Cross the bridge. Turn immediately to your right.). edit
Ride the Great Northern and Cascade Railway.
- Model Railroading - Take a ride on the Great Northern and Cascade Railway, a miniature 7 1/4" scale railroad. Enjoy the historic railroad museum and gift shop. By the gas station, turn right onto 5th St. N. Cross the bridge to the stop sign. Continue on 5th St. N. across the railroad tracks. Then turn left behind the depot. (360) 282-6676 10:00AM - 4:00PM Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays May-Oct, FREE/donation based.
- Pump Track: East of the train depot by about 100 yards is a pump track, new in 2017. FREE/donations appreciated.
- Mountain Biking:
- Hiking:There many hiking trails in the Skykomish vicinity. Here are just a few: - 
- Maloney Creek Trail: (easy) 0.5 miles out and back. Completely ADA accessible. The trailhead is behind the post office.
- Beckler Peak Trail: (moderate) 7.6 miles out and back. It features a waterfall. It's accessible from March until November. Dogs are permitted to use this trail.
- Lake Valhalla: (difficult) 12 mile out and back trail. It features a river. The trail is accessible from July until October. Dogs are permitted to use this trail on a leash.
- Surprise Creek: (moderate) 8 mile out and back trail that features a lake. The trail is accessible from July until October. Dogs are permitted to use this trail.
- Lake Dorthy:
- Iron Goat Trail:(easy)
- Big Heart Lake:
- Crater Lake:
- Necklave Valley:
- Fortune Ponds:
- Pear Valley:
- Delta Lake:
- Lake Elizabeth:
- Surprise Creek to Alpine Falls - V 
- Alpine Falls to Beckler River - IV++ 
- Beckler river to above baring - II 
- Rapid River to Skykomish South Fork - II/II 
- 4x4 Trails:
- Geocashing:There are three geocaches in Skykomish, and dozens more in the area. Find them all - 
- Innertube and raft the Skykomish river: The Skykomish river is slow and lazy between Skykomish and Index (most of the time).
- Ball park: Football, baseball, soccer, whatever. Great spot for a picnic.
- Camping: nearby campgrounds -
- Gold panning:
- Cross-country skiing:
- Massage: The Art of Touch massage studio is on the 2nd floor of the Maloney Store, by appointment only.
- Fishing: The Skykomish River is known for Kings and Steelhead but also has a healthy run of Coho, Pinks and Chum
- Alpine Falls- Park at any turnoff on U.S. 2, about seven miles east of town. Walk south on a number of paths. The falls, which drop nearly 50 feet, are particularly impressive during spring runoff.
- Deception Falls- Turn into the picnic area from U.S. 2, about 7.8 miles east of town. Follow the self-guided nature loop, or enjoy the 1/10th mile trail to the falls.
- Train Watching:Skykomish is on a major BNSF and Amtrak train route that goes from Seattle towards Chicago. However, there is no Amtrak stop (yet).
- Library: The Skykomish branch of the King County Library System is open Monday 1-7 PM, Thursday 1-7 PM, Friday 1-5 PM and Saturday 10 AM - 2 PM. It has books, computers, DVDs, Audio Book CDs and Wi-Fi access.
- Coin laundry: Sit n Spin Laundromat Read a book while your laundry takes a spin. Open everyday 6 AM-9 PM (prices 1/2016) Change machine $1-$20, $1 - Soap, bleach & fabric softener $1 - Tide 3 in 1 pods, $4.50 Wash, $3.00 Dry. 102 E Railroad Ave, behind Maloney store. (425) 737-2516.
- Great Northern Days:Second Saturday in September.
- Open Air Markets in Historic Skykomish: Second Saturday, May through September.
- Music in the Park: Third Saturday in August.
- Sky Gas Station, 47 5th Street North, Skykomish, WA 98288, ☎ (360) 677-2290. Gasoline and sundries **. edit
- Skykomish Toot Sweet, 108 West Railroad Ave., Skykomish, WA 98288, ☎ (360) 677-2263. Candy Store · Toy Store · Gift Shop *. edit
- Cascadia Inn Cafe, 210 Railroad Ave E Skykomish, WA 98288 (By the gas station, turn right onto 5th St. N. Cross the bridge to the stop sign. Turn left on Railroad Ave. On your left after two blocks.), ☎ (360) 677-2030, . "To die for" home style meals and a "don't miss" Sunday Breakfast Buffet $$. edit
- Sky Deli and Liquor, 148 N 5th St Skykomish, WA 98288 (HWY 2 at the main town entrance), ☎ (360) 677-2211. Hot and cold sandwiches on your choice of bread with meat piled high, cheese and veggies. Beer, wine, spirits, ice cream, sodas, chips, etc. to compliment your meal. $. edit
- Skykomish Hotel and Restaurant, Railroad Ave E Skykomish, WA 98288 (By the gas station, turn right onto 5th St. N. Cross the bridge to the stop sign. Turn left on Railroad Ave. Immediately on your left.). The restaurant is closed for renovations. edit
- Whistling Post, 210 Railroad Ave E Skykomish, WA 98288, ☎ (360) 677-2111. A well-stocked bar with superb bar food. $$. edit
Historic Landmark - Cascadia Inn.
- Cascadia Inn, 210 Railroad Ave E Skykomish, WA 98288 (By the gas station, turn right onto 5th St. N. Cross the bridge to the stop sign. Turn left on Railroad Ave. On your left after two blocks.), ☎ (360) 677-2030, . checkin: 3:00 pm; checkout: 11:00 am. The landmark 14 room historic inn has been welcoming guests to the Skykomish Valley since 1922. It's locally owned, family and dog friendly. The Inn may not be suitable for those who are handicapped as the hotel rooms are upstairs and the hallways are narrow. $69-95. (47.709549,-121.358945) edit
- Skykomish Hotel and Restaurant, Railroad Ave E Skykomish, WA 98288 (By the gas station, turn right onto 5th St. N. Cross the bridge to the stop sign. Turn left on Railroad Ave. Immediately on your left.). Skykomish Hotel and Restaurant was built in 1905 by D.J. Manning. The hotel is closed for renovations. edit
- Gunn Peak Getaway, Vacation Rental, Vacation Rental, Northeast Money Creek Road Miller River, Skykomish WA 98288. edit
- Cedar Sky Cabin, Vacation Rental, Sky Lane, Skykomish, WA 98288. edit
- Chalet Vino Rosso, Vacation Rental, 536 Sky Lane, Skykomish, WA 98288. edit
- Misty Mountain Cabin, Vacation Rental, Stevens Pass Highway, Skykomish, WA 98288. edit
- Alpine A-Frame, Vacation Rental. edit
- If you plan on traveling over Stevens Pass during winter, a 4WD vehicle or chains may be required.
If you are traveling West, don't miss the small town of Index and if you are headed East, plan for a series of stops near Stevens Pass