This article is a travel topic
Skydiving or Parachuting is a sport in which you exit a plane from altitude, freefall for a short while and then deploy a parachute to fly safely to the ground.
There are many dropzones around the world. Most dropzones will provide accommodation of some sort.
Parachuting in South Africa is governed by PASA 
- Johannesburg Skydiving Club (JSC), Carltonville outside Johannesburg, ☎ +27 (0)82-928-2455 ([email protected]), . Mostly use a PAC 750 XL. For tandem skydiving at JSC contact +27 (0)76-055-7273. edit
- Skydive Xtreme, Nylstroom (From the N1 follow down Nelson Mandela until the 3rd robot. Turn right into Thabo Mbeki. DZ is about 2.6km further on the right), ☎ +27 (0)84 240-6439, . edit
- Witbank Skydiving Club, Witbank Aerodrome, ☎ +27 (0)82 997-7686 ([email protected]), . edit
- EP Skydivers, Grahamstown, ☎ +27 (0)82 800-9263 ([email protected]), . edit
- Skydive Durban, Durban, ☎ +27 (0)72 214-6040 ([email protected]), . edit
- Pretoria Skydiving Club, Pretoria, ☎ +27 (0)12 543-0377 ([email protected]), . edit
- Skydive Cape Town, Cape Town, ☎ +27 (0)82 800-6290 ([email protected]), . edit
- Walker Bay Skydiving, ☎ +27 (0)83-472-5448 ([email protected]). edit
- Skydive Mossel Bay, Mossel Bay, ☎ +27 (0)82-824-8599 ([email protected]), . edit
- Las Vegas Gravity Zone Skydiving Center, ☎ +1 702 456-3802. edit
- Skydive DeLand, DeLand Airport, DeLand, Florida, ☎ +1 386 738-3539, . 13,500 ft./$23; 5,000 ft./$17. edit
- Skydive Greene County, 177 South Monroe-Siding Road, Xenia, Ohio, ☎ +1 937 372-0700 ([email protected]), . (weather permitting): Sa-Su 8AM-8PM; M-F 8:30AM-8PM. Reservations recommended. $250/person (). edit
- Skydive! Santa Barbara, ☎ +1 888 800-JUMP(5867). The Drop Zone with an Ocean View! Feel the rush of flying through the air at 120 mph. Check out the fantastic ocean view of Point Concepcion. Certificate of Achievement presented on your first jump. They offer 2 ways of completing your first jump, Tandem or Static Line. edit
- Skydive Sebastian, Sebastian Airport, ☎ +1 772 388-5672 (toll free: +1 800-399-JUMP), . edit
- Skydive Silicon Valley, 13030 Murphy Ave, San Martin, CA 95046 USA, ☎ +1-800-386-5867, . (weather permitting): Reservations recommended. edit
- Freefall Oz Skydiving Center, Shinglehouse, PA, ☎ 1 814 697-7218, . Experienced jumpers and beginners welcome, video recording available. Certified by the United States Parachute Association. edit
- GliderSports Skydiving, 51 SE Hwy W, Clinton, MO 64735 USA, ☎ +1 855-435-9669 ([email protected]), . (weather permitting): Reservations recommended. edit
- Skydive Hollister, ☎ +1 800-386-5867, . edit
- Skydive Oz - Batemans Bay, Moruya Airport, Moruya, ([email protected]), . Skydive Oz Bateman's Bay / Moruya is home to Australia's most scenic drop zones. Beach Landing tandem skydiving and Australia's leading learn to skydive facilities (AFF courses). Sports Jumpers, wing-suiters, free-fly, flat fly - everyone is welcome! 15,000ft Standard Altitude for skydives. Drop zone is beachside, has an indoor rock climbing wall, basketball set up, comfortable and modern accommodation and more. edit
- Skydive Cairns, 59 Sheridan Street, Cairns, ☎ +7 4031 5466 (toll free: 1800 330 044 (free call in Australia), [email protected], fax: +7 4031 5505), . Skydive Cairns offers tandem single jumps and AFF courses. One of the most beautiful plane rides up to 13,000 feet overlooking the reef just long enough before you lose your lunch on the way down. edit
- Tandem Cairns, Shop 10, 93 The Esplanade, Cairns (entrance on Aplin Street), (toll free: 1800 805 432 (free call in Australia), [email protected]), . $270. edit
- Freefall Skydive, ☎ 0800 373 335, . Located in spectacular Taupo offering jumps above the amazing lake and volcanoes at heights up to 15,000 feet above the ground. From $249. edit
- Skydive Auckland, ☎ 0800 92 15 57, . Imagine an insanity inducing freefall of at least 200kmph with breathtaking views of the skies and beaches of Auckland. Our customers are spoilt for choice with skydive heights of 9,000, 13,000 & 16,500ft, the last of which is the highest skydive jump in the North Island, New Zealand. From $295. edit
- Skydive New Zealand, ☎ 0800 751 0080, . This is probably the best place in New Zealand to do this activity thanks to its amazing scenery. Between NZ$225 and NZ$500 depending on height and options. edit
- Skydive Abel Tasman, ☎ 0800 422 899, . Tandem Skydiving from up to 16,500 feet with the best of NZ's scenery including National Parks, Southern Alps, blue oceans and golden beaches! Famous for top quality freefall photography! From NZ$229. edit
- Skydive the Sounds, ☎ 0800 DREAMIT, . High standards of safety, service and superb 360 degrees of scenery. Also the home of the unique "X Flight" (take off from Wellington and skydive into the South Island. Between NZ$245 and NZ$575 depending on height and options. edit
- NZONE Skydive, 35 Shotover St, Queenstown, ☎ 0800 376 796, . Experience the thrill of skydiving in New Zealand with a tandem jump or accelerated freefall course above Queenstown. No prior skydive training needed, just a sense of adventure. From NZ$299. edit
- Skydive NZ Franz Josef, Fern Grove Souvenirs, Main road, Franz Josef, New Zealand, ☎ 08007510080, . Dawn to Dusk. The original glacier skydivers, good vibes since 1997. $295. edit
- Skydive Paradise Glenorchy, ☎ 0800 475 934, . Experience the most scenic tandem skydive experience on earth at our skydive dropzone near Queenstown. Breathtaking Lord of the Rings scenery, tandem skydiving from 12,000 ft or 15,000ft, photos & videos available. From NZ$325 12,000 ft. edit
Parachuting in The Netherlands is governed by the KNVvL, division para 
- Paracentrum Eelde Hoogeveen, ☎ +31 528 27 11 50 ([email protected]), . Dropzone Eelde: phone +31 50 309 44 99; Dropzone Hoogeveen: phone +31 528 27 11 50 edit
- Skydive. Take a dive from 4000 meters alone or tandem. Contact Andreas Knabe at the Parachuting School, tel 079 213 71 38, .
There are generally 3 ways to do your first jump.
- Tandem. You jump strapped to an instructor who will do all the work. You just go along for the ride. edit
- Accelerated Freefall. Freefall from your very first jump. An instructor will jump with you to ensure that you do pull the canopy release. edit
- Static line. A static line connects your parachute to the plane. When you exit the plane at around 3500feet, the static line will pull your parachute free to deploy it. There is no freefall during a static line jump. and you do not have to take any action to deploy the parachute. You do however need to fly the parachute once it has opened and land it yourself. Training is generally a full day course followed by your first solo jump. This is a good starting option for anyone interested in taking up the sport, as it is relatively inexpensive and you will have good canopy control by the time you make your first free fall jump. Most places will require you to do at least 8 static line jumps before you may progress to free fall. edit
The dropzone will provide a plane to take you to jump altitude.
- Skydive NZ Franz Josef, Fern Grove Souvenirs, Main road, Franz Josef, New Zealand, ☎ 08007510080, . Dawn to Dusk. Skydive New Zealand voted the second best skydiving experience in thhe world(1st was everest). The original glacier skydivers, good vibes since 1997. $295. edit
Rent or buy?
Basic safety precautions