The North-West region of Singapore consists of Bukit Batok, Bukit Panjang, Choa Chu Kang, Woodlands (West), Bukit Timah, Tengah, Ama Keng, Wrexham, Poyan Reservoir, Sarimbun, Lim Chu Kang and Neo Tiew areas.
The North South Line and the Downtown Line serves stations in the North East. To get to the North East from the city, simply take the Downtown line that travels through the city to the Bukit Timah/Bukit Panjang Area. Alternatively, take the East West Line heading towards Joo Koon/Tuas Link, and interchange at Jurong East Station for the North South Line.
- Kranji Marshes, (Kranji Express bus (hourly) from Kranji MRT), . Daily 7 AM-7 PM. Free. edit
- Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, (Kranji Express bus (hourly) from Kranji MRT), . Daily 7:30 AM-7 PM. If you want to see a mangrove forest, this is your chance. As the reserve is basically a swamp, bring plenty of mosquito repellant and keep an eye out for crocodiles. The nature reserve is a site of international importance for migratory birds. It is also Singapore's first ASEAN heritage park. Free Mon-Fri, $1 Sat-Sun. edit
- Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, Hindhede Drive, . At 166 meters this is Singapore's highest point — if you don't count the city's skyscrapers. It is also one of the last places in Singapore that is home to the original primary tropical rainforest that used to cover the entire island. You can scale the hill in 15 minutes if you follow the paved road (boring) or 45-50 minutes if you do it the long way around (more interesting). Watch out for monkeys! Don´t expect a stunning view from the top, though. Almost nothing can be seen through the thick trees. Take SBS bus 170 or SMRT 67, 75, 171, 173, 184, 852 and 961 to the Courts department store on Upper Bukit Timah Rd and walk. Free. edit
- Singapore Turf Club (Kranji MRT), 1 Turf Club, ☎ +65-6879 1000, . Host horse races, most commonly on Fridays (starting 6:30 PM) but occasionally on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday as well. Betting is allowed, making this a major draw for local gamblers. The Upper Grandstand is air-conditioned, while the Lower is not. $3/7 Lower/Upper Grandstand. edit
- Chestnut Nature Park, Chestnut Avenue (Take the Bukit Panjang LRT at Choa Chu Kang MRT Station. The nearest LRT Station is Bangkit Station), . If you are seeking for a bike ride on a dirt road or jungle, this is the place to go. Chestnut Nature Park consists of a Bike Park and Pump Track for mountain bikers to advance their skills. There is also a hiking trail of 5.6km, allowing you to get close to nature. Hiking in the North direction from the park will bring you to the entrance of the Singapore Zoo. . Free. edit
Shopping malls are commonly found in Sinapore. The following malls below are typical neighbourhood malls that serve local residents living in the area.
- Lot One, 21 Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4 (Choa Chu Kang MRT/LRT), . A neighbourhood shopping mall in Choa Chu Kang. A supermarket, public library and a cinema can be found here. Stock up here before heading to Singapore Zoo. edit
- Junction 10, 1 Woodlands Road (Bukit Panjang Overground), . A neighbourhood shopping mall in Bukit Panjang. Several eateries and a supermarket can be found here.co edit
- Gallop Kranji Farm Resort, 10 Neo Tiew Lane 2, Singapore 718813 (Shuttle Bus service by resort), . edit