(ศรีสัชนาลัย) is a city in Lower Northern Thailand
, close to Sukhothai
. The city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
thanks to its Sukhothai-era ruins.
By car, from the provincial city of Sukhothai, take Highway No.101 (Sukhothai – Sawankhalok - Si Satchanalai route) to Km. 18 – 19. Turn left to cross the Yom River. Then, turn right for another 1.5km. The total distance is 68km. Alternatively, the Sukhothai –Si Satchanalai bus is available at tourists’ disposal.
By bus, daily buses depart the municipal market for the park. In addition, visitors may proceed from Amphoe Sawankhalok, via Highway No.1201, to Tambon Mueang Kao. Cross the bridge over the Yom River, and then turn left for another 2km. The total distance is 22km.
From Sukhothai, you can take a tuk-tuk to the Sukhothai bus terminal (50 baht for one person, 60 baht for two), and take a bus. Times are subject to change, this writer's bus was scheduled to leave at 8:15. Ticket counter number 1 can sell tickets there, there is also a tourist information office on-site, so you can ask if the stop is serviced by another bus route (buses to Chiang Mai might stop there).
There are 42 historic sites in the area. 32 of these may be visited free of charge.
Traveling without a car is possible from Sukhothai Bus Terminal. The 06:40 Wintour Bus 622 comes in from Phitsanulok heading towards Chiang Rai - Mae Sai. This passes nearby Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat. The one way fare is 45 Baht per person. Tickets are only available at Sukhothai in the morning, as priority is given to passengers leaving from Phitsanulok or Sukhothai who are buying longer journey tickets. There was plenty of space on the bus in mid November to find two seat together. The bus travels for an hour and twenty minutes to the drop off point for renting bicycles to see Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat. This stop for the bus is 3.3 kilometers away from the ticket office for the paid part of Si Satchanalai Historical Park. This bus stop shelter in on the south side of the highway at 17.432508 N, 99.811989 E (17°25'57.0"N 99°48'43.2"E). Highway 101, Kilometer 135 + 550 m.
Rental bicycles for 50 Baht each are available from the gentleman who is at the store by the Kilometer 135 + 550 m covered bus stop. Be sure to check the inflation on the tires. There is a improvised sign with the scheduled bus times for return trips to Sukothai. It is advisable to return a little earlier than 15:30 to catch the last bus. It actually arrived at 14:55 the day this writer visited. The store owner put out a large purple banner to let the bus know we were waiting. As it was raining, this was most helpful.
After passing through the archway for the "entrance" to Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat at Kilometer 135 + 550, heading south you will arrive at a river. As you roll across the end of the cable and plank Yom River Bridge 17.430535 N, 99.811859 E (17°25'49.9"N 99°48'42.7"E), the nice lady at the ticket office for Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat will flag you down to pay 20 Baht. If for some reason you do not want to see this temple, you would have to go up Highway 101 to Highway 1201 and take the concrete bridge across the Yom River.
- Wat Phra Sri Rattana Mahathat (Thai: วัดพระศรีรัตนมหาธาตุ), GPS 17.429720 N, 99.811918 E (17°25'47.0"N 99°48'42.9"E) is technically not a part of the Si Satchanalai Historical Park, and is well worth seeing. 20 Baht.
- Wat Chom Chuen (Thai: โบราณสถานวัดชมชื่น), GPS 17.428295 N, 99.805810 E (17°25'41.9"N 99°48'20.9"E) is free to visit.
- Wat Chom Chuen Archaeological Site (Thai: หลุมฝังศพโบราณวัดหนองจอก), GPS 17.428401 N, 99.806374 E (17°25'42.2"N 99°48'23.0"E) is a museum with skeletal remains that have been left in place at the depths they were discovered at. This can be a separate ticket, or combined with the main park. The combination ticket also covers the ancient kilns. It is cheaper not buy to combination ticket if you only wish to see two of the three places. It is an additional six kilometers by bicycle in each direction to visit the kilns.
- Wat Jan Jao Archaeological Site (Thai: วัดจันทร์เจ่าโบราณสถาน), GPS 17.428471 N, 99.805108 E (17°25'42.5"N 99°48'18.4"E) is free to visit.
- Wat Noi Cham Pi (Thai: วัดน้อยจาม), GPS 17.429071N , 99.802568 E (17°25'44.7"N 99°48'09.2"E) 90 meters from the road, there is a secluded temple in the trees that is free to visit.
- Wat Khok Singkharam (Thai: โบราณสถานวัดโคกสิงคาราม), 17.430519 N, 99.797242 E (17°25'49.9"N 99°47'50.1"E) is free to visit.
- Si Satchanalai Historical Park (Thai: อุทยานประวัติศาสตร์ ศรีสัชนาลัย), GPS 17.425820 N, 99.788588 E (17°25'33.0"N 99°47'18.9"E):
To see the eight main historic sites that are inside the walled section of the park, 100 Baht for foreigners:
- Wat Chang Lom (Thai: วัดช้างล้อม), GPS 17.431536 N, 99.785687 E (17°25'53.5"N 99°47'08.5"E)
- Wat Chedi Chet Thaew (Thai: วัดเจดีย์เจ็ดแถว), GPS 17.430978 N, 99.786212 E (17°25'51.5"N 99°47'10.4"E)
- Wat Phra Kaew (Thai: โบราณสถานวัดหลักเมือง), GPS 17.430391 N, 99.788520 E (17°25'49.4"N 99°47'18.7"E)
- Wat Suan Keao Utthayan Noi (Thai: โบราณสถานวัดสวนแก้วอุทยานน้อย), GPS 17.432273 N, 99.787214 E (17°25'56.2"N 99°47'14.0"E)
- Wat Khao Phanom Bringen (Thai: วัดเขาพนมเพลิง), GPS 17.434265N, 99.784408 E (17°26'03.4"N 99°47'03.9"E). 117 Steps to get up the hill.
- Wat Khao Suwankhiri (Thai: เขาสุวรรณคิรี ), GPS 17.433495 N, 99.782161 E (17°26'00.6"N 99°46'55.8"E). Way up a long slope of a hill.
- Wat Chedi Kao Yod (Thai: วัดเจดีย์เก้ายอด ), GPS 17.432422 N, 99.779275 E (17°25'56.7"N 99°46'45.4"E), Highway 1201
- Wat Khao Yai Lang (Thai: โบราณสถานวัดเจดีย์เอน), GPS 17.431948 N, 99.778083 E (17°25'55.0"N 99°46'41.1"E)
- Wat Khao Yai II (Thai: วัดเขาใหญ่ 2), GPS 17.430887 N, 99.775848 E (17°25'51.2"N 99°46'33.1"E)
- Monument West 13, GPS 17.429037 N, 99.776083 E (17°25'44.5"N 99°46'33.9"E), Highway 1201
- Wat Yai Ta, GPS 17.427543 N, 99.778710 E (17°25'39.2"N 99°46'43.4"E), Highway 1201
- Wat Sa Khai Num, GPS 17.428858 N, 99.780151 E (17°25'43.9"N 99°46'48.5"E)
- Wat Rahu, GPS 17.428271 N, 99.782018 E (17°25'41.8"N 99°46'55.3"E)
- Wat Sa Pathum, GPS 17.422816 N, 99.781660 E (17°25'22.1"N 99°46'54.0"E)
- Wat Phaya Dam, GPS 17.423612 N, 99.783670 E (17°25'25.0"N 99°47'01.2"E)
- Wat Hua Khon (Thai: วัดหัวโขน), GPS 17.436429 N, 99.778059 E (17°26'11.1"N 99°46'41.0"E)
There was not enough time to see everything on a single trip via the bus and bicycle rental from Sukhothai. There are a number of guesthouses in the immediate area, and it would be best to stay in the vicinity.
- Sangkhalok Ceramics Conservation and Study Center 42 and 123 (Thai: ศูนย์ศึกษาและอนุรักษ์เตาสังคโลกหมายเลข 42และ123 ), GPS 17.476140 N, 99.753896 E (17°28'34.1"N 99°45'14.0"E).
In Tha Chai, Si Satchanalai District, exact street addresses are not used. Ensure you have a correct GPS location entered into your navigational program in your smartphone.
Closest to the Si Satchanalai Historical Park entrance:
- Sisat Heritage Resort (Thai: ), 99, Moo 6, Si Satchanalai 64130, Thailand, GPS , 17.431207 N, 99.795568 E (17°25'52.4"N 99°47'44.0"E). ฿1,232 to ฿1,529. Breakfast included. Limited English spoken.
The following three hotels are close together, 500 meters south of Route 1201 along an unpaved road:
- Downhill Resort (Thai: ดาวน์ฮิลล์ รีสอร์ท), 231 ม.5 ต.ศรีสัชนาลัย อ.ศรีสัชนาลัย, 231 Moo 5, Tha Chai, Si Satchanalai District, Sukhothai 64190, Thailand, Phone: +66 81 532 9289 or 084-5763388, GPS 17.415381 N, 99.789560 E (17°24'55.4"N 99°47'22.4"E). 500 meters south of Highway 1201. Good blue and white signs on highway indicating where to turn. Limited English spoken. Bicycles available. Nearest restaurant 1 km away, does deliver.
- Soawanee Resort (Thai: ), 103 Moo 5, Si Satchanalai, Sukhothai, 64190, Thailand, GPS 17.415256 N, 99.791236 E (17°24'54.9"N 99°47'28.5"E), 977 Baht.
- Amporn Resort (Thai: อัมพร รีสอร์ท), 126 ม.5 ศรีสัชนาลัย, 126 Moo 5, Chang Wat Sukhothai 64190, Thailand, GPS 17.416674 N, 99.790947 E (17°25'00.0"N 99°47'27.4"E), Tel: 087-3184203 or +66 95 613 8225. From 399 Baht.
In the main town, closer to Highway 101:
- Navy Coffee and Resort (Thai: ), 238 ม .5 ต ศรีสัชนาลัย อ ศรีสัชนาลัย, 238 Moo 5, Amphoe Si Satchanalai, Chang Wat Sukhothai 64190, Thailand, GPS 17.416265 N, 99.798864 E (17°24'58.6"N 99°47'55.9"E), Tel: 081-5324577 or 091-0286515. 1,100 Baht.