Shkodra is the fourth largest city in Albania. Recently, it has experienced a face lift as streets and buildings were renovated, a promenade opened and a new swing bridge built over Buna River.
- Shkoder Tourist Info Center, Rruga Teuta (Southeast of Sheshi Demokracia). edit
Queen Teuta' Illryan kingdom was based here in the 3rd century BOT. The Ottomans laid siege to the city in 1473 and 1479, losing 14,000 and 30,000 men in these raids, respectively. Shkodra changed hands with Montenegro numerous times during World War I. Shkodra was badly damaged during an earthquake in 1979.
Buses/furgons between Shkodra and Tirana leave approximately every hour. The 1,5 hour, 95km journey costs 300-500 leke [May 2017]. In Tirana you should go to ZOGU I ZI and ask anyone, they will direct you to where the furgons leaves from.
From Ulcinj in Montenegro, buses cost €6 (plus €1 if you have baggage) and leave at 06:00, 12:30 and 16:00. If not available, you can take a taxi to the border at Muriquani (€10) and after crossing the border, take another taxi to Shkodra (€8). However return ticket from Shkodra to Ulcinj costs €5 and buses leave at 09:00 and 16:00 from the city center fountain (Sheshi Demokracia).
From Podgorica take public bus that departs at 10:45am from the main bus station. Cost is 10€ plus luggage fee if you have it.
From Kosovo, minibuses from Gjakova meet the ferry across spectacular Lake Koman from Fierze to Koman where minibuses are available to Shkodra. If minibuses doing the full trip are not available (it depends on demand), go to Bajram Curri first and arrange the trip from there.
No service is available from. The train station is not operational
Finding your way round Shkodra is complicated by the fact that recently ALL roads have been renamed, and some of the old names have even been re-used in different places! All roads have got new road signs. Since all the maps and guides (including this one) give the old names, finding your way round is a bit like being in a parallel universe.
Shkodra is the bike capital of Albania, because its flat. This is a heritage from the Hoxha-era.
- Kalaja/Rozafa Fortress, (2km southwest of Shkodra, near the southern end of Lake Shkodra), . Founded by the Illyrians, rebuilt by the Venitians and the Ottomans. Rozafa is a woman buried in the ramparts, who is believed to support the structure. Visit the renovated museum. Bring a torch and go exploring. There are amazing views from the highest point. You can get there from the city center by local public bus for 30 lek each way. It takes approximately 10 min by car from the center of Shkodra to the Castle. There is a free parking close to the entrance, as well as at the bottom of the Castle (before the stone road starts). For more information about the Rozafa Castle, please visit the offical Facebook page or the Tourist Office in the center of Shkodra (Rruga Teuta, southeast of Sheshi Demokracia). Opening hours: The Rozafa Castle and the Museum of the Castle have different working times during the year. From May to October, during high season, the Castle is open from 08:00 to 20:00, and from November to April, off the season period, from 08:00 to 16:00 . The Museum of the Castle is open during high season from 09:00 to 19:00 every day except Mondays, and during the off season only on Fridays and the weekends from 09:00 to 15:00. Ticket price: Entrance ticket for the Rozafa Castle is 200 lek (app 1,50 euro). At the entrance, visitors receive a brochure/plan of the Rozafa Castle. Entrance to «the Museum of the Castle» is 150 lek (app 1,10 euro) for adults and 50 lek (less than 0,50 euro) for children. Accessibility for People with Dissabilities: The Rozafa Castle is a large visitors attraction consisting of different cultural buildings that are not completely accessible. The road to the Castle is rocky and slippery, and people who experience walking difficulties may find it difficult to access the site. For people who are blind or have impaired vision, information about artifacts displayed in the Museum are available in Braille. 200 lek. edit
- Shkodra Historical Museum, Rr. Oso Kuka, no. 12, ☎ 22 243213, . 9AM-2PM. The Museum is situated at a traditional Shkodran House featuring valuable artifacts on every sphere of social life in the area. 150 lek. edit
- Fototeke Marubi, Muhamet Gollesha, . First ever photograph taken in Albania (1858) is here. It's tricky to find, in a private house down an alleyway 100m north-east of 5-heroes roundabout. Ask a local to show you the way. 130 lek. edit
- Lake Shkodra. The largest lake in the Balkans. Take a taxi to the village of Shiroke, or rent a cheap bike down town. Alternatively ask around for the public bus which goes to the edge of the city, where it is a pleasant 5 km walk by the lake to Shiroke. There is a less frequent bus directly to Shiroke. edit
- Ebu Beker Mosque
- Shkodër Cathedral
- Shkodër Orthodox Cathedral'
- Mesi Bridge, a bridge built in 1768 by Mehmet Pashë Bushatlija and the nearby Drishti Castle
- Albanian Alps
- 5 Heroes monument. This was "one of Albania's best examples of socialist-realist sculpture"[lonelyplanet]. Unfortunately, you can't see it any more except on postcards, because it has been replaced by a bland contemporary fountain. The site is still a useful reference point for finding your way around. Interestingly, the fountain is surrounded by seating, in the centre of a busy roundabout called Sheshi Demokracia (Democracy Square) with no pedestrian crossings! Only in Albania! It can now be found just outside of Shkoder. Head towards Ura e Thive (East out of Shkoder), past the LDS church, and you'll find it down the road about 1.5 km on the left hand side. edit
- Shiroka, a picturesque fishing village along Skadar Lake
- Shurdhah Island, . (Albanian: Ishulli i Shurdhahit)The Shurdhah Island is located in the Vau i Dejës Reservoir, which is fed and drained by the river Drin. It is accessible by tourist boat in summer from the Vau i Dejës dam or Rragam. It contains the ruins of the medieval town of Sarda. You can visit the ruins of the 11th century medieval castle, which includes two rings of defensive walls and towers (some sadly submerged in the lake), the remains of a Byzantine church and other early medieval walls. The setting on the steep rocks rising from the lake is especially impressive. (42.071373,19.652349) edit
- Site of Witness and Memory, Bulevardi Skenderbeu,27.. Museum dedicated to the crimes of the communist regime in Albania featuring photographs, videos, and first hand accounts of political prisoners from Shkodra. edit
- Pjaca/Kol Idromeno St., (In the Center of Shkodra). Take a walk on the main pedestrian street of the city full of cafes and locals promenading in the evening hours. edit
- Molo Promenade, Shetitorja Molos (Near Buna River Old Bridge along the river bank). Romantic renovated promenade along the riverside. edit
- Visit the above churches and mosques of the city
- The Lake Koman ferry is a breathtaking trip across Lake Koman from Koman to Fierze, where you can move on to Bajram Curri or further to Kosovo. Take a furgon in the morning (about 0600-0700) from the second roundabout down Marin Barleti about 500m away from the city centre.
- Take a peak at the Bazaar of the Artisans (Pazari i Artizanatit) located at the city entrance where you can buy locally made souvenirs of all kinds.
- Festivals. take place on an annual basis such as Carnival, Childrens Festival, AniFest Rozafa Animated Film Festival, Lake Day, and Shkodra Jazz Fest. edit
- Take part in the annual Traditional Plays Festival (Lojra Popullore) showcasing the best of the North Albanian Folklore every end of March at Rozafa Castle.
- Canoeing in Bojana (Buna) River
- Florian's tours Albania. With almost a decade of tourism experience Florian offers overnight and day trips to surrounding areas. For more information [email protected]
Camping in the Mountains
See also Albanian Alps
- "Skenderbeu" Kognak
- Hand made souvenirs at the Artisan's Bazaar located at the city entrance
Shkodra is famous for its numerous patisseries where you can eat delicious sweets.
- Carp fish in Shiroke village
Local beers "Korça" or "Tirana" and the famous Albanian spirit called Raki
- ARKA Youth Center | Hostel & Bar, Rruga Palokë Kurti, Nr. 1 (https://goo.gl/maps/Akfcim4GxrE2), . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11:00. Featuring free WiFi throughout the property, Arka Hostel offers pet-friendly accommodations in Shkodër, just 2.9 km from Rozafa Castle Shkodra. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar. Choose a cup of excellent coffee or another drink. The wide selection from our menu at café bar in our Youth Center Bar also includes an exclusive book point with different books that you can read. I will find a Piano or Guitar if you have a desire to play something for the people that are present: its your stage. Bar is non-smoking. Parking is possible for bicycle too. Free Wifi. Beautiful garden. Arka Hostel has been welcoming Booking.com guests since Jun 3, 2015 8 euro/ night. edit
- Hotel Rozafa (Hotel Turizmi), Rruga Teuta (Right in the city centre, Rruga Marin Barleti close to Sheshi Demokracia). Old communist style hotel. 91 rooms, no A/C. 8 stories. From €16. edit
- Hotel Kaduku, (at Sheshi Demokracia, immediately next to the Rozafa Hotel), ☎ +355 22 242216, . Highly recommended - friendly staff, large clean room with A/C, right in the city centre. €50 for double, with breakfast [Sep 2011]. edit
- Hotel Tradita (Tradita G&T), Rr. Risto Siliqi, no. 25, ☎ +355 22 240 537, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. As close as it gets to being invited to the dining hall, the kitchen and courtyard of the local Ottoman Pasha. € 50. edit
- Hotel Colosseo, "Rr., . 14 rooms. Single: €50; Double: €60; Suite: €70. edit
- Grand Hotel Europa, Sheshi 2 Prilli, ☎ +355 22 241 211, . Prestigious luxury hotel. 50 rooms. From €123. edit
- Hotel Argenti, ☎ + 355 22 439 09, . Modern hotel in Velipoja area with comfortable rooms furnished with A/C, TV, bathroom and showers. Restaurant with traditional Albanian and European cuisine. edit
- Florian's Guest House, Shkodra: shtoj i ri, reparti ushtarak. kodrajt (By car just turn down from E762 road towards Shtoj i Ri. Pass a few local shops, look for sign on right hand side of road.), ☎ 00355682335921. Small family run B&B/Guest House and is located amongst orchards and vineyards. Its about 30 minute walk to the centre of Shkoder. Breakfast is included and for 4 Euros more Lunch and dinner are offered, serving Albanian cuisine made from organic food farmed in the own garden. Very helpful family, can arrange tours of Shkoder as well as helping to get to other cities in Albania. 15 euro per night. 12 beds. Also can organise day and overnight trips to the surrounding areas. Email to make reservations: [email protected] Green Garden Hostel located in the north east out skirt of the city (see google-maps). Its a huge house with a tranquil atmosphere. Beds from 8 euro. edit
- Lake Shkodra Resort, Rruga e Liqenit, Grile/Omaraj, ☎ +355 692750337, . Only recently opened, this Albanian and English owned camp site on the shore of Lake Skadar includes log cabins, sun beds and umbrellas, restaurant, playground, Wifi and camper facilities. edit
- The Wanderers Hostel, Rruga Gjuhadol (Find Hotel Colosseo in the city center (you can't miss it). Stand with it on your right and the big white mosque on your left. This street is the Pedonale. Walk to the end of this street and turn right to follow the paving stones onto Gjuhadol. Turn right again at the hanging sign (above eye level) that says 'Agjensia e Sherbimeve Extra. It's the first door on the left. See the attached map or email them), ☎ +355692121062, . checkin: 08:00; checkout: 11:00. The Wanderers Hostel provides a social and comfortable atmosphere in a historic home. Located within minutes of the city center on one of the most beautiful streets in the city. Family-owned for generations and recently renovated the entire thing, including two large gardens in the front and rear appropriate also for cyclist entering and resting. A comfortable open lounge, outdoor bar and guest kitchen. 8 euro. edit
- Bulldog Hostel & Club (https://goo.gl/maps/oAr1pphnokS2), Rruga G'juhadol (0.2KM), ☎ +355 68 472 0601. This is a wonderful family run hostel, with private rooms too. It's very close to Shkodra's main walking street "pedonale". Price start for a bed start at 5-6 Euros/Night, decent breakfast included. They have a bar downstairs which offers cheap beers, italian wines & really good coffee! edit
- B Hostel Shkodra, Rruga Kolë Idromeno. Clean and friendly hostel in super location. Large rooms, large kitchen and seating areas, and generally everything you need. Bike rentals. Location on the corner of Rruga Ludovik Saraçi and the pedestrian street of Rruga Kolë Idromeno. Beds/rooms from €8. edit
- Shirokë, a small town at cycle distance (around 7.5km) from Shkodra at the lake. The boulevard is recently renovated and a pleasant tour. The town offers many lakeside restaurant at affordable prices and predominantly serve sea (or lake-) food.
- Ulcinj, Montenegro
- Podgorica, Montenegro