Shirdi is a town in the Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra in India. It is located 185 km east of the Arabian Sea shoreline. Shirdi was where the great saint Sai Baba lived till his samadhi in 1918. Today, it is a pilgrimage center and millions of his devotees from all over the world come each year to pay their respects.
The best time of the year to visit Shirdi is January through March. April to June is summer, followed by the monsoon. Pilgrim arrival peaks between September and November when many Hindu festivals occur. Baba's death anniversary is commemorated in the month of October, the exact date depending on the Hindu calendar.
Some of the most important festivals in Shirdi are Dussera, Guru Poornima and Baba's death anniversary. During this time lakhs of devotees come to Shirdi.
To Reach Shirdi From Pune*
- Shirdi is approximately 220km from Pune Railway Station and Pune Airport.
There are many buses connecting Shirdi to cities such as Mumbai (250 Km), Hyderabad, Pune, Nasik (80 Km), Bangalore. There are abundant, very convenient bus packages from Hyderabad. The road connectivity between Mumbai and Shirdi is good, except in certain stretches. Convenient overnight buses also ply this route. It takes around 4 hours from Mumbai to Shirdi. It takes around 5 hours to travel from Pune to Shirdi by bus.
It takes around 20 hours from Bangalore. There are many bus operators from Bangalore e.g. KSRTC but it is advisable to travel by sleeper coaches instead of pushback.
- Shirdi is accessible via the Ahmednagar-Manmad State Highway No.10, approximately 83 kms from Ahmednagar and 15 kms from Kopargaon.
- It is approximately 240 km from Mumbai on the Eastern Express Highway.
- It is approximately 200 km from Pune. The Ahmednagar route is better than the Sangamner Route in terms of road quality.
- Pune to Shirdi Travel time is approx 3 to 4 hour only.
- Approximate distance from Pune to shirdi is 188.3 Km and takes around 4.5 hours to travel.
- It is approximately 241.5 km from Mumbai, one can take care rental services for a stress-free journey like clear car rental, taxiguide, Savaari , MyCabDeal etc.
Carkaro (Car Rental Service provider from Mumbai/Navi Mumbai to Shirdi), ☎ +91-9167396289 ([email protected]). Affordable car rental service from Mumbai. Book a cab [ https://www.carkaro.in/#/MumbaiToShirdi] with Carkaro. edit
Balaji Cabs (Car Rental Service), ☎ +91-8149123546 ([email protected]). Inquiry: 8AM to 11PM. Affordable car rental service from Pune. Book a Pune to Shirdi Tour Package with Balaji cabs. edit
To Reach Shirdi From Mumbai*
Maa Ambe Travels Pune (Car Rental Service Provider), ☎ +91-7888180038 ([email protected]). Inquiry: 4AM to 11.30PM. Affordable car rental service from Pune. Book a Book Pune to Shirdi Tour Package with Maa Ambe Travels. edit
To Reach Shirdi From Pune/Pune Airport
- Ganraj Travels (Taxi service in shirdi), Survey No.84/2A/60, Parijaat Colony, Jawalkar Nagar, Near Kalpataru Society, shirdi phone=+91 7038400300, ([email protected]), . 7 AM to 12 PM. Ganraj Travels is one of the most economical taxi service in shirdi. edit
To Reach Shirdi From Pune/Pune Airport
Professional Cabs (Pune to Shirdi Cab), ☎ +91-8007777902 ([email protected]). Inquiry: 8AM to 11PM. Affordable Cab / Taxi service from Pune. Book a Pune to Shirdi Tour Package with Professional cabs. edit
Shivneri Travels (Pune to Shirdi Cab), Harsh Vihar Society, S.No. 37, Jambhulwadi,Datta Nagar, Ambegaon,Pune 411046, ☎ +91-8308301999 ([email protected]). Inquiry: 24 hours. Provide best reasonable cabs feom Pune. Book a Pune to Shirdi Cab with Shivneri Travels. edit
EO Cabs (Car Rental Service), ☎ +91-8102810281 ([email protected]), . Inquiry: 7AM to 11PM. Discount Car Rental Service Provider from Mumbai to Shirdi. edit
Ganraj Travels (Cab service in Shirdi), Survey No.84/2A/60, Parijaat Colony, Jawalkar Nagar, Near Kalpataru Society, Pimle Gurav, Shirdi, ☎ 8380999444 ([email protected]), . Ganraj Travels is one of the leading cab service in shirdi. They provide well maintained cars for intercity travel and oustation booking edit
Trains from all over India come in the vicinity of Shirdi. One can take trains till
- Shirdi Sai Nagar (2 Km from the Sai Samadhi temple) OR
- Kopargaon (15 Km from Shirdi) OR
- Manmad (65 Km from Shirdi) OR
- Nasik (80 Km from Shirdi) OR
- Mumbai (250 Km from Shirdi) OR
Taxi from station till Shirdi
- From Kopargaon, one can take a taxi till Shirdi (Rs. 300 - 500 on full fare) or a shared van (Rs. 20-30 per person).
- From Manmad, one can take a taxi till Shirdi (Rs. 600-800 on full fare) or a shared van (Rs. 50-80 per person).
- From Nasik, one can take a taxi till Shirdi (Rs. 800-1000 on full fare) or shared van or MSRTC bus (Rs. 90-100).
Shirdi now has a working airport since October 2017 with direct flight from Mumbai & Hyderabad.
Shirdi is not a big town. As the town has grown around its main attraction - the Sai Baba temple - almost all major sights and sounds are all within walking distances from anywhere in Shirdi.
If you are reaching shirdi from pune via road then you must visit ranjan gaon ganpati temple.Ranjan gaon ganpati temple is located on the pune -shirdi highway.
The main attractions are the Temple where Sai Baba's samadhi is located, the former dwelling place of Sai Baba called Dwarakamayi, and the place called Chavadi where Baba used to sleep every alternate day. These 3 are located close to each other.
- Sai Baba Temple -Free biometric access cards are issued to each devotee to get the darshan of Sai Samadhi by Sanshtan on designated counter. Free VIP passes ars also issued by Sanshthan on these counters for Senior citizens and parents having infant(less than 1year child).
Located at the heart of the town, this houses the samadhi (burial site) of Sai Baba. Entry is free. One can also book special pass which costs Rs.200 per devotee for darshan from Shri Saibaba Sansthan Trust. The waiting time in the queue averages over an hour on weekdays and 2 hours on weekends. The temple opens around 0400 hrs and stays open till about 2200 hrs. At the samadhi site itself, one gets to spend a couple of minutes only as everyone needs to be accommodated to get a glimpse of the samadhi.
After the Samadhi Darshan, one can visit the Gurusthan, the Neem tree where Sai Baba was first spotted meditating by the people of Shirdi. After that, one can go to the Udhi counter to collect the Udhi. The temple premises also has the samadhis of some of Sai Baba's most prominent devotees.
It also has a book store where one can buy Sai Baba's books (Shri Sai Samartha Satcharitra, Aarti books etc.). One can also get clothes and Prasadam offered to Sai Baba. Mobile phones and cameras are prohibited within the temple premises.These can be deposited to the designated counter of mobile locker with the rate of Rs5 per mobile. These counters are available on all entry gates.
- Dwarakamayi - Located adjacent to the temple complex, Dwarakamayi is the name of the mosque where Baba resided for an unbroken span of 60 years till his Samadhi in 1918. The structure has been renovated and houses the Dhuni the fire that Baba always kept burning. The flames are never allowed to die and the Dhuni today is the same that Baba lit over 100 years ago. Additionally, some of Baba's articles such as his grinding stone, fireplace, a stone on which he used to sit are located in the Dwarakamayi
- Chavadi - This is located next to Dwarakamayi. Every alternate day, Baba used to sleep in the Chavadi, a few meters away from the Dwarakamayi. Even today, on Thursday nights, Baba's footprints are taken in a ceremonial procession from Dwarakamayi to Chavadi.
- Khandoba Raya temple - This is the temple where Mahalsapati first welcomed Sai Baba with phrases "Aao Sai(Welcome Lord) and recognized that He is no ordinary saint. This is located on the highway, approximately 7 minutes walk away from the temple. One can meet grandson of Mahalsapati in this temple.
Apart from visiting the temple and other places connected to Sai Baba, there is precious little to do in Shirdi.
There are a large number of shops that sell trinkets and souvenirs - statues, magnets, stickers, books, photos of Sai Baba. Prices are generally negotiable.
It is advisable not to buy anything except flowers as offering to Saibaba as the priests usually return everything else but the shopkeepers may insists on buying lot more things. Prasad can be bought from prasad counter inside the temple premises.
- pashion clothing is one of the best place to buy clothes. They provide best quality garments at very reasonable rates. *
Restaurants are liberally dotted over Shirdi. A variety of cuisines including Gujarati, Maharashtrian, South Indian, Continental are available. Most restaurants serve only vegetarian fare.
Also you get fresh fruits Guava & Pomegranate
The world's largest solar cooker cooks food for thousands of devotees everyday and one can eat this food for a nominal price of INR 10 per meal.
Cold drinks and bottled water are available in many local stores. Fresh coconut water is also available. However, liquor is not available in the town.
- Shirdi Hotel Sai Sahavas (Budget Hotel near Shirdi temple), Opp. Mahalaxmi Temple Lane, Off Pimplewadi Road, 2 minutes from Sai Mandir, Shirdi - 423109, Maharashtra, India. (Opp. Mahalaxmi Temple Lane), ☎ (02423) 256363 / 64 / 65, . Shri Sai Baba's presence is felt in Shirdi every day, by thousands of devotees who converge on Shirdi to get blessings of Shri Sai Baba. At Panoramic Group Hotel Sai Sahavas, just a 5 minutes walk from the holy shrine of Shri Sai Baba, you are in the comforting vicinity of Shri Sai Baba. Come, check into one of the 34 well-appointed AC rooms, at Panoramic Group Hotel Sai Sahavas and visit the replica of Shri Sai Baba's shrine, on the third floor and you shall at once be cradled into the soothing sphere of Shri Sai Baba's blessings. Keeping in mind the sentiments of devotees, only vegetarian food is allowed or served at Panoramic Group Hotel Sai Sahavas. Sai Siddhi multi-cuisine veg restaurant (AC) offers delicacies from Maharashtra, North India, Gujarat, South India and Chinese cuisine to cater to devotees from all over India. Come to Sai Sahavas, Shirdi and be one with Shri Sai Baba. There is various hotels are available in shirdi like ganraj. edit
Once you land in Shirdi, rgister yourself at the Shri Sai Baba Sansthan Trust Reception Centre. The centre is located opposite to the S T Bus Stand. Then proceed to the Enquiry office to book your accommodation. Alternatively, accomodation (both A/C or Non A/C) can be booked online on Sai Baba Sansthan Trust. Charges of AC room is Rs.500 per day while for Non AC it is Rs.200 per day. Tea costs Rs.2, while Coffee and milk is for Rs.3 each in the accomodation of Sansthan. This facility of tea, Coffee and milk on the above rates are available at Gate No.3 as well near Samadhi mandir. Sansthan provides good accomodation facilities and is affordable. The rents range from Rs. 50 to Rs. 1000.
In addition, there are private hotels. There is no dearth of accommodation in Shirdi. Hotels of all categories abound. It is advisable to check the facilities in the room before booking and paying. In peak season, it is advisable to have prior reservations, which can be made either over phone or through travel websites.
Some of the good hotels in Shirdi to stay are -
- Hotel Kundan Regency Shirdi (Budget Hotel in Shirdi near Shirdi Sai Baba temple), Rui Shiv Road, Rui, Shirdi, Near Sai Mandir, Maharashtra 423109, India (near Shirdi Sai Baba temple), ☎ +91 8928538854 (booking.kundanregenc[email protected]), . checkin: 12.00 pm; checkout: 12.00 pm. Book your stay @ Hotel Kundan Regency, the best budget hotel in Shirdi, located near Shirdi Sai Baba temple. The hotel offers affordable accommodation, facilities and related services to the visitors. (19.7711° N,74.4792° E) edit
- Daiwik Hotel Shirdi (Daiwik Hotel), Pimpalwadi Rd, Behind B.S.N.L. building (near to Shirdi sai temple), ☎ +91-2423- 255741, . checkin: 12pm; checkout: 12pm. INR 2200 w/breakfast. edit
- Hotel Sai Sahavas (Sai Sahavas), Opp. Mahalaxmi Temple Lane, Off Pimplewadi Road (2 Mins from the temple), ☎ 91 2423 256366, . A good hotel with all facilities available. There is also meditating room on the third floor. edit
- Shri sainivas Mega Dharmasala (Shri sainivas), Opp. Shiva temple, Off Manmad Nagar Road (near to Shirdi sai temple), ☎ 02423256257, . checkin: any time; checkout: any time. INR 500 to INR 2500. (19.751437,74.478207) edit
- Hotel Sai Vishwa (Hotels in Shirdi), Pimpalwadi Road (Near Sai Baba Temple), ☎ 02423257025, . checkin: 12:00 pm; checkout: 12:00 pm. Hotel near Sai Baba Temple. Rs 800. edit
- Hotel Sai Sangeeta (Hotel in Shirdi Near Saibaba Temple), Ring Road | Behind Hotel Marigold, B/S Vrundavan Residency, Shirdi 423109, ☎ +91 9867270247, . checkin: 12.00 pm; checkout: 12.00 pm. Online Shirdi hotels near temple booking can be done to get the blessing of Sai Baba by visiting the temple which is just 5 mins from our Shirdi Hotel Sai Sangeeta 999. edit
- Shirdi is one of the safest towns
- Beware of beggars around temple and stay away from them
- Violent crime is not at all common in Shirdi.
- Beware of touts who will offer to help you find accommodation and take you on temple tours. While they do not charge for their service, they will expect you to purchase items from their stores as quid pro quo at inflated prices.
- Shirdi can be quite dusty, so those with allergies should carry along a dust mask.
- Bottled water is recommended over tap water for drinking purposes.
100 - Police
- Trimbakeshwar, one of the twelve Jyotirlingas of India, is just 150 km from Shirdi and it is worth a visitable place.
- Shani Shingnapur, the most famous temple of Shani in India, is just 75 Km from Shirdi. Taxi costs around Rs. 1200 and shared vans (Tata Magic)cost around Rs. 120-150 for a return trip. These are easily available in Shirdi near temple.
- Ajantha & Ellora caves