Shaoxing (绍兴) is a city in Zhejiang, near Shanghai and Hangzhou, famous for its traditional Chinese bridges, boats, architectures, yellow wine and a huge number of textile and cloth factories and production.
Statue in the northern downtown of Shaoxing
The fastest way to get there is by plane, stop in Hangzhou International Airport (HGH), then take a shuttle bus or cab to Shaoxing. The Airport shuttle bus takes about 1 hour with a stop in the NW suburb of Keqiao.
The easiest way to get into Shaoxing is by bus, almost every city in Zhejiang will have transportation to Shaoxing.
Modern center square in the downtown of Shaoxing
The downtown is very clean, and very nice to walk around to feel the perfect combination of modern and ancient Chinese culture. In order to fully appreciate Shaoxing it is recommended to have a guide with you unless you can speak conversational mandarin. In some cases local people can't speak mandarin and only use the Shaoxing local dialect (simplified chinese: 绍兴话, pinyin: Shàoxīng huà）
- Fishermen in this town used to use cormorants (鸬鹚) for fishing, but nowadays the town only has the birds on special occasions. Call the travel association ahead of time to ask before coming here to look for birds.
- Yangshan Stone Buddha (羊山石佛). Stone Buddha Grottoes peaks, one for the southern four stone Buddhas. Buddha, 10 meters high, the left knee fall to be shaking hands with visitors, this attitude is rare in China. Yangshan foot of the lake has Shifosi, Temple, surrounded by water on both sides of solitary backers. edit
- Shaoxing Downtown Theatre, (center of the downtown). all day. free. edit
Downtown Theater in Shaoxing
There are many shopping malls in the downtown area, here recommended some:
- Lotus - in the north west of the downtown, a Thai cooperation's shopping center, offering variety of daily products with comprehensive prices.
- Wal-Mart - in the middle of the downtown, right beneath the center square underground, easy transportation.
- Buxing Road- in the south of the downtown, famous for its traditional Chinese small products like stamps, old money, pets and small hand made gifts.
- Shimao plaza; simplified chinese(世茂广场）- Western style mall located in the newest part of Shaoxing. The facility includes a supermarket, movie theater, many restaurants and plenty of stores offering western style products.
- Shaoxing Yellow Rice Wine, simplified chinese：绍兴黄酒 pinyin：Shàoxīng huángjiǔ. Can be find in almost any corner store and grocery store. Highest quality can be purchased at some specialized store located almost everywhere in the city.
- Home Inn ShaoXing MoEr, (Inside Mole Modern town in the northern west downtown). edit
- Shaoxing Hotel, Huanshan Rd No.9, ☎ 0575-5155888, . €38-€136. edit
- Xianheng Hotel, Jiefang South Rd No.680. edit
- Shaoxing International Hotel, Fushan West Rd No.100. edit
- Howard Johson Business Club Hotel, Nr. 666. edit
- New Century Grand Hotel Shaoxing (绍兴开元名都大酒店), No.278 East Renmin Road, Shaoxing, . The hotel has 355 luxury guestrooms, each room is carefully designed and decorated, comfortable and elegant. edit
- Airbnb has 50+ listings in Shaoxing. Private rooms and entire apartments starting at around ¥149.
- Citadines Keqiao Shaoxing, Block 1A, No. 2558 Hudong Road, Keqiao District, Shaoxing, ☎ +86 575 8997 1888 ([email protected]), . The property located close to multiple restaurants, supermarkets and recreational facilities offers 24-hour security services, a children's play area, business centre services and daily breakfast. edit
On the way from Shaoxing to Qianqing
Qianqing (钱清) A small town not far away from downtown Shaoxing, bus 613 will get you there directly, and it is famous for its cheap textile and cloth materials with nice quality.