Huangpu (excluding Old City) is in Shanghai.
Even without including The Bund or Old City in this article, whittling down Huangpu to just the best parts is a heady task. Not only is Huangpu huge, but it takes up a huge swath of central Shanghai on the Puxi side of the river. As such, it means different things to different people. Nanjing Road is synonymous with shopping until you drop on increasingly high-end goods. Xintiandi is a historic residential development turned uber-trendy, and is home to much of China's elite - as such, it's packed with restaurants, nightlife and more shopping. Huangpu also contains a number of Shanghai's best museums and parks, centered around the hub for the metro system at People's Square. Don't be fooled into thinking that Huangpu is all glitz, however - some of the sections towards the south can be relatively scruffy, and other parts of the core can be simply nondescript office buildings. But it would be hard to hit Shanghai's major destinations without at least passing through Huangpu.
The district is served by Metro Lines 1, 2 and 8.
Museums and galleries
- Power Station of Art (上海当代艺术博物馆), 200 Huayuangang Road (M4/8 S Xizang Rd), ☎ +86 21 3110 8550 ([email protected]), . Tu-Su 11:00-19:00. China's first public contemporary art museum is housed in a surprisingly beautiful power plant with dramatic views of the river. There's no permanent exhibition, but the rotating exhibits - usually with a mix of Chinese and foreign artists - would worth paying for. free. edit
- Nanjing East Road (南京东路). Walk along Nanjing Dong Lu in the evening. Start at People's Square (人民广场) and enjoy the bright lights of this pedestrian road. For a longer walk, continue your way to the Bund and enjoy the bright lights of Pudong. Be careful of pick-pockets and people that come up to you for a chat. Usually, they have something to sell or a service to offer that is not in your best interest. edit
- C3 Cafe, 700 Huangpi S Rd, Bldg A, Ste 黄陂南路700号 A105室 (Metro Xintiandi, Laoximen, Madang Rd), ☎ 13916171091, . 11am. C3 Café (Creative Co-working Cafe) is an event café built up on Couchsurfing Community, it is designed to support the events in different areas such as Art, Cultural, Business or Traveling. Bridge between Chinese and foreign communities, working with some entrepreneur organisations and several NGOs. Events partners include Couchsurfing.org, Community Center shanghai, Drink Entrepreneur, TEDx and People Squared. Events are easy to join and pretty much every night of the week. edit
- Yang's Fried Dumplings, Unit 203, 2/F, Huang Pu Hui, 269 Wujiang Lu, 吴江路269号湟普汇2楼 (2F of the shopping center next to exit 4 of Nanjing W Rd stn). This place is famous for shēng jiān bāo - fried dumplings. The prices have gone up over the years but they're still very cheap - you'll get a full plate of dumplings for around ¥10. Across the hall is Nanxiang Steamed Bun Restaurant 南翔馒头店 where you can get xiǎolóngbāo, but this will be a more expensive affair (napkins and clean toilets). edit
- Pacific Hotel, 108 W Nanjing Rd, ☎ +86 21-63276226, . Offers air-conditioned rooms, all of which have room safe, telephone with voice mail, and high-speed Internet access. Some of its amenities include Jinmen Club (spa and beauty salon), badminton and swimming facilities, and free shuttle bus to and from Hongqiao International Airport. Best rates on official website start at ¥398. edit
- Astor House Hotel Shanghai, No 15 Huangpu Lu, ☎ +86 21-63246388, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 14:00. Astor House hotel with its original name Richard hotel has a very long history which can date back to 1846, Indeed, the hotel has witnessed many breakthrough events in Chinese history. The first lamp bulb in the country was lit here, the first telephone in the country was switched on here, and the first sound film from the West was projected here. Plus, China's first ball was held in the hotel, helping to bring to a close the tradition that women should not attend social activities. To some extent, it is really a symbol and epitome of the historical nature of Shanghai. edit
- Citadines Jinqiao Shanghai (上海馨乐庭金桥服务公寓), 55 Beijing Xi Road, Huangpu District, ☎ +86 21 2308-6666 ([email protected], fax: +86 21 2308-6688), . This apart'hotel is located in People's Square, with close access to the Shanghai Municipal Government Building, Huaihai Road shopping district and Shanghai Museum. Each apartment, ranging from studios to two-bedroom apartments has a kitchen, living room, fitted bathroom, and Wi-Fi access. From ¥699. edit
- Jin Jiang East Asia Hotel, 680 Nanjing E Rd, ☎ +86 21-63223223, . Offers 164 refurbished rooms, all of which have air-conditioning, satellite TV, and high-speed Internet access. Some of its amenities include The Magnolia Hall that can accommodate up to 50 guests theater-style; business center that offers copy service, courier, fax, printing; and concierge that assists in airline, car rental, and tour inquiries. Best rates on official website start at ¥255. edit
- Nanjing Hotel Shanghai Jin Jiang, 200 Shanxi S Rd, Huangpu District, ☎ +86 21-63222888, . Some of the famous tourist spots that you can visit while staying here are The Bund, People's Square, and The Shanghai Museum. It offers 165 air-conditioned guestrooms, all of which have mini-bar, cable TV, and room safe. It is a must-try to dine in at their restaurant called Shanghai Town that serves Beijing and Shanghai cuisines. Best rates on official website start at ¥300. edit
- Park Hotel, 170 Nanjing Lu Xi, ☎ +86 21-63275225, . Offers 252 art deco-styled rooms. Best rates on official website start at ¥440″. edit
- Nanjing Hotel Shanghai Jin Jiang, 200 Shanxi S Rd (山西南路200号), ☎ +86 21 63222888. edit
- Salvo Hotel Shanghai, 339 Guangdong Lu, ☎ + 86 21-53524888, . This five-star hotel takes a more personal approach in presenting China's sophisticated business capital. It features accommodations, cuisines, function rooms, and recreation centers that reflect the booming city: luxurious, rich, and world-class. The first all-steel high-rise structure in the area, Salvo Hotel Shanghai serves as a window to the city's marvelous landmarks. It offers views of the Bund, Huangpu River, and beyond – letting you experience Shanghai all at once. edit
- Shanghai Hundred Centuries Hotel, 1528 Nan Xizang Lu, ☎ +86 21-51503777, . Takes a few minutes to boutiques, markets, and historical sites, such as People’s Square and Yu Yuan Garden. Offers 94 air-conditioned rooms with mini bar, television, telephone, and free high speed Internet access. ¥397.81. edit
- Villas 1931 Hotel Shanghai, 306 Guangdong Rd, ☎ +86 21-51588666, . ¥465. edit
- New Harbour Service Apartments, 88 Yongshou Rd, Huangpu District, ☎ +86 21-63551889, . 4-star hotel located close to it are the The Bund, Yu Garden, and Shanghai Great Theatre. 255 rooms, all of which have air-conditioner, satellite TV, and a mini-bar with refrigerator. Amenities include Chinese, Japanese and Western restaurants, health club, and internet room. Best rates on official website start at ¥464. edit
- Pacific Hotel, 108 Xi Nanjing Lu, . A convenient jump-off point for exploring Shanghai since it is located at the west end of Nanjing East Rd, near the Bund and several Shanghai landmarks. From ¥588. edit
- Radisson Shanghai New World, 88 Nanjing Rd (Next to New World and right on top of People's Square Stn). This hotel is connected to the New World department store and has easy access to most of Shanghai via the Metro. Rooms start at about ¥1100. edit
- Yun’s Paradise Hotel, 789 E Fuxing R (Junction of S Henan Rd), Huangpu District, ☎ +86 21-63356666, . Offers air-conditioned guestrooms, all of which have Philips LCD TV with satellite channels, premium beds draped in picasso cotton beddings, and free high-speed Internet access. Some of its amenities include Yun’s Paradise Health Center, Yun’s Paradise Porch (sells various Jiangnan products), and Harvest Festival Restaurant (serves Jiangnan and Ningbo cuisines. It also features a banquet hall and private room). Best rates on official website start at ¥553. edit
- Langham Xintiandi Shanghai (上海新天地朗廷酒店 （5星级奢华酒店）), 99 Madang Rd, Huangpu District (2 minutes walk from Huangpinan Road MTR station and 8 minutes walk from Xintiandi MTR station), ☎ +86 21 23302288, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 12:00. Luxury 5-star hotel adjacent to the retail utopia of Huaihai Road where known as the Champs Elyees of the East. It is an ideally destination for both business and leisure travellers while foreign consulates, must-see museums and the key business district are all within close proximity. Since 1865, exceptional service, luxury and innovative design have been the hallmarks of the Langham legacy. edit