Severobaikalsk (Russian: Северобайка́льск see-veer-uh-bigh-KAL'SK) is small town in located on the shores of Lake Baikal Buryatia, Russia.
The town was founded in 1974 and has a population of around 26,000. It is a big railway hub of Baikal-Amur Mainline and has no big industries. The streets have 5-floor appartment houses with unusual outlines as if they were made of cells. You won't see buildings with balconies for the seismic safety precautions. The center of the city is Leningradsky Prospekt that goes from the railway station to the Central square.
Severobaikalsk Station build by Leningrad builders
The city is a major stop on the Baikal-Amur Mainline. It is a 3 day 16 hour journey from Moscow, with the train making stops in large cities such as Novosibirsk , Krasnoyarsk and Bratsk.
The nearest airport is in Nizhneangarsk 25km away from the city. You can fly to Irkutsk (1 hour 15 min) and Ulan Ude(1 hour 20 min).
During the summer, there is a hydrofoil service from Irkutsk—an 11-hour journey. Three times a week.
August 2018 - The hydrofoil has not operated for the past 2 years
Marshrutki buses run daily between the train station in Irkutsk and Severobaikalsk run, leaving in the afternoon. Price for one ticket is 2,500 RUB. For availability etc. best check with the bus ticket offices (see this discussion on a Russian forum for more info: https://ok.ru/severobaikalsk.ru/topic/65433432555745 ).
- Museum of the BAM builders at 2, Mira st.
- Art gallery at 40, Druzhby st.
Get a local bus south to the picturesque fishing village of Baikalskoe, & hike up the headland, for breathtaking views of Lake Baikal. It's possible to follow the track around the clifftops, & loop around via a camping ground in a bay, back into Baikalskoe.
Hire a cutter and go to the hot springs for soaking.
- You can visit an exhibition in Dom Kultury and choose a souvenir. There are also paintings and photographs of local artists.
- Dom u Baikala (Дом у Байкала), 3 Neptunsky proezd, ☎ +7 (301-30) 2-39-50 ([email protected]). One and two-floor wooden houses with single an double rooms with toilet, douche and TV inside. Price for a single stay is 750-800RUB, double is 1500RUB. You can also play billiard or order week excursions, which include yachting, rafting, visiting a waterfall and a sandy beach. edit
- Hotel Olymp (Отель Олимп), 2Б Poligrafistov st., ☎ +7 (30130) 2-39-80 ([email protected]), . Business and standard room includes TV, minibar, a safe, refrigerator and wi-fi, toilet and a douche for one rooom or two. 1300-2200RUB. edit
- Hotel Golden Fish (Золотая рыбка), ☎ +7 (30130) 2-22-31, 2-11-34 ([email protected]), . The hotel includes three cottages, one in the city, two in the forest, with double rooms for 2500, 1900, 1200RUB accordingly. Additional services: Russian sauna, massage, breakfast, transfer to airport, tours to hot springs and fishing. edit
- Baikalsky Luchik, Kicherskaya ulitsa,dom 1 1a, 671710 Nizhneangarsk, Russia (it's in Nizhneangarsk - 25 minutes by bus from Severobaikalsk, buses leave every 30 minutes from the train station and cost 70RUB (2017), get off one stop before the airport. The entrance to the Baikalsky Luchik hostel is actually from the Okhotnika street), . A great yurt camp/hostel. Staff just great, one girl spoke very good english. Price 450-500RUB for a bed in a beautiful yurt (07/2017). Nice common kitchen, coffee, tea, hot water available. Common showers and bathrooms. Everything very clean and nice. Recommended! 500RUB (2017). edit
By train to Novosibirsk (40 hours), Krasnoyarsk (30 hours), Bratsk (14 hours) and Irkutsk (31 hours).
|Routes through Severobaikalsk