Senaru is a village in North Lombok.
Senaru is normally thought of as the key gateway village to an arduous trek up Mount Rinjani. There is a lot more to this area than that though, and those visitors less inclined towards serious trekking should not be discouraged from visiting here. There are some cute little places to stay, and glorious scenery all around, including some notable waterfalls.
The village of Batu Koq about one km to the north, almost merges as one with Senaru these days.
The area around Senaru and Bayan was the birthplace of Lombok's unique Wektu Telu belief system - ancient animist practices combined with Islam.
View of Mt Rinjani and waterfall in Senaru.
From the main north coast road, turn south at the small town of Bayan from where it is about 8 km to Senaru village.
If you are coming from the main tourist areas in West Lombok, expect to pay about Rp 300,000-400,000 for a taxi or chartered vehicle.
- Rinjani Transport, (Jl. Pariwisata Senaru, Lombok - Indonesia), ☎ +6287865433344 ([email protected]), . can arrange pick up from any port in Lombok island.
- Senaru transport, (PONDOK INDAH SENARU VILLAGE), ☎ +6281916030327, . can arrange pick up from lombok international airport or from your hotel a round Lombok island. For booking you have to book 2 hours minimum before pick up time.
- Lombok Arfa Tour, Senaru, ☎ +6281904056966 ([email protected]), . will serve you to or from Senaru in Lombok.
It is possible, if a little difficult, to get to Senaru by bus from Mataram. From the main Mataram bus terminal take a bus headed towards Anyar. These are infrequent, there is no reliable timetable and the journey is 2.5-3 hours. From Anyar, regular bemos run to Senaru until about 4PM every daily.
Once you are in Senaru, just walk - it is stunning here.
Guides for waterfall trips
Payment fees to guide visitors to the first waterfalls are frequently demanded by local touts and guides. At times these activities can be quite aggressive and demanding. This behaviour is not officially sanctioned by the regional tourism authorities and a guide is not formally required to visit the waterfall sites. The majority of these informal guides have little if anything to contribute to the visit other than to demand a payment. If they bother you excessively ask to see their Izin (permit). Very few if any of the pestering touts will have one, when they are unable to produce this just wave them away.
Access to the primary waterfall of Air Terjun Sendang Gila is by way of an established pathway and steps and requires no special skills or knowledge as this pathway leads directly and quite unambiguously to the primary waterfall destination. The fixed price entrance fee is posted at the ticket booth at the top of the steps leading down to the waterfall site.
If unsuccessful in gaining direct payment from a visitor the local touts and informal guides often demand a payment from the driver or guide who brought the visitor to the site. The extraction of this payment may be done in a manner that is not immediately apparent to the visitor. Some of the accompanying guides and drivers who escort visitors to the Senaru area may explain this to the visitor, others may not.
A reputable and suitably experienced guide is recommended to walk to the second waterfall. The use of a local guide is not required as most of the established and reputable Lombok tourism guides who take visitors to Senaru know this area well. It is essential to have a guide for Air Terjun Tiu Kelep as this third and more distant waterfall has a requirement for suitable climbing skills and equipment.
If a serious disputation develops with the local self proclaimed guides at Senaru then explain to them that you will leave the site and travel to an alternative location.
Aside from Mount Rinjani itself, the key attractions around here are the two well known waterfalls (air terjun). Guides abound in Senaru, and you might find it difficult walking anywhere without one. The best strategy is often to find a guide you like, agree a nominal price (under Rp 50,000) and have he or she (very unusually for Lombok, women guides are available here) accompany you. If nothing else, this will keep the others from hassling you.
- Air Terjun Sindang Gila (En. Slightly Crazy Waterfalls). The best known and most spectacular of the three. The water cascades everywhere here breaking some 50 m above the main arrival point. From Senaru village walk about 20 minutes to the southeast. The path is pleasant and leads through some splendid tropical forest.
- Air Terjun Tiu Kelep. Less spectacular but still very much worth it. Continue on uphill from Sindang Gila for about 40-60 minutes (depending on your fitness - this will involve a steep uphill climb and a creek crossing and several other obstacles). Tiu Kelep has a nice bathing pool below the falls with very cool invigorating water.
- Air Terjun Betara Lenjang (En. Beautiful and Amazing Waterfalls), ☎ +6287765917368 ([email protected]). The best to know after other 2 famous Waterfal point. From Senaru village walk about 1,5 Hours to the southeast. The path is pleasant and leads through some splendid tropical local garden.
- Tumpasan Senaru Waterfall (Us full,Senaru panorama walk), jalan senaru pawang karya, ☎ +6281238076623 ([email protected]). 2hours. Less spectacular but still very much worth it. Continue on uphill from Sindang Gila for about 2 or 2,5 hours (depending on your fitness - this will involve a steep uphill climb and a creek crossing and several other obstacles). Tumpasan Senaru Waterfall has a nice bathing pool below the falls with very cool invigorating water.
Climbing Mount Rinjani is not to be taken lightly and full details are given that article. The Mt. Rinjani article cannot be edited by all travellers so take everything with a pinch of salt and common sense. A big mafia business is around the area with 'fake' guides, entrance fees not paid and menaces and intimidations occur occasionally and apart of that bargain hard on your trek price often they are exaggerated overpriced, remember that you are in Indonesia and not in a western country and a price for a 2d/1n it is more then a half monthly avarage income of an Indonesian citizen.
There are at least other two extra options, not mentioned anywhere, to climb the Mt.Rinjani.
Option 1: Climb the mountain with a night trek and reach the crater for the sunrise and come back in the same day(better start at 10.30/11pm if you want reach the crater rim for the sunrise and do it in full moon nights). You can do it by tour guide company (the price should be between IDR. 700.000 and 900.000) including guide, food,entrance fee . Some wild animals can be seen on the way such like wild pigs or deer,but it's rare, more probably you will meet some semi wild dogs which are not harmless, just through a stone and they will disappear. Take a torch/flashlight which last for 6 hours, some food and at least 3lt of water. If you're not interested on the sunrise and you want just see the crater you can starts later but remember after 10.30/11am the crater is covered by the clouds so you will not see anything and a fit person can reach the crater in less then 6 hours but normally takes 7-8 hours.
Option 2: you can arrange your trek from Tete Batu the costs are pretty much similar to all the others the big difference is in what you will see. You will approach the mountain from the south side which is much easier and the view of the volcano in the lake is far much more closer you got different view.
There are though many other less demanding treks in the area and Senaru is a great base for these.
All of the local bungalows and homestays have simple cafes attached.
There are a few simple warungs on the road between Senaru and Batu Koq villages. The local Sasak food is excellent — try to to stick with the authentic local cooking as the the dull, generic western traveller dishes may disappoint.
- Green rinjani restaurant (restaurant with nice view of mount rinjani), senaru village, ☎ 085237214385, . Rinjani Caffe in senaru village front of jhon's adventure restaurant have free wifi and drink the staff is really nice and also staff can organize senaru panorama walk, rinjani trekking and transport service.
- Rinjani Homestay. On the main road in the center village. The place looks good and the room too with an amazing view of the rice fields and the ocean on the far left. No shower (only bucket) no WiFi, yes breakfast. 150.000 idr for night FREE if you book a trek with them.
- Emy's cafe (Homestay and restaurant), Senaru village (Next to the main road, about 500 m up from the beginning of the path leading to the waterfalls). Rooms were simple but nice, clean and not smelling bad. The owner was talkative and had a nice family. They offered coffee and help all the time. Family was organising trekking tours to mount rinjani and one of the boys was working as a guide. From Rp 150,000.
- Pondok Indah (Hotel&Restaurant), Jl. Raya Bayan-Senaru, ☎ +6281916030327. 10 clean rooms at this simple hotel. All rooms have private bathrooms and western toilets, bath or shower, work desk. Restaurant, car park, garden & Free WiFi. Price inclusive of breakfast for 2 people only, if more then 2 people additional charge shall be applied. Rate includes 10% for government tax & service charge. Extra bed hire will be additional charge. No charge guest aged 8 yo or under sharing with parent. Rp 22 USD for hot water and Rp 15 USD for cold water.
- Pondok Senaru (cottage and restaurant), Senaru village. Rooms here are quite grand by Rinjani standards (they have hot water for example). From Rp 300,000 to 600.000.
- Rinjani Mountain Garden, Teres Genit village, ☎ +62 818 569730. A German owned and run establishment that is certainly different from the others. Offers luxury camping in delightful gardens with a swimming pool and hot showers. All equipment is provided.
- Pondok Gunung Baru (Hotel and Restaurant), Senaru (5 mins further on from Emi's Cafe, on the right hand side). A more recent arrival at Senaru, has views and basic clean and comfortable accomodations. Rp 70,000-100,000.
- Horizon Senaru Villa & Restaurant, Senaru Village, ☎ +62 818 03676069, . Simple and compact, private 2 bedroom bungalow overlooking Mt Rinjani and the valley below. Generous size rooms. The master bedroom has a living room with beautiful views. Rent either room or the whole bungalow. Bathrooms have traditional shower. From Rp 300,000.
- Mr.Din Rinjani Trails Hotel, Jln.Pariwisata Senaru Bayan, ☎ +6281805233773 ([email protected]), . checkin: 09am-10pm; checkout: 11am to 12pm. Standard Room Idr.150.000 / Deluxe room Idr.300.000 Free Breakfast and Wifi (cold and Hot Shower with mountain Rinjani View and Valley.
- Senaru Homestay, Jl. Pariwisata, Senaru. Budget-style home stay, private room with own bathroom. Breakfast included. Built in 2017. US $15.
- Sinar Rinjani (Hotel&Restaurant), Jl. Raya Bayan-Senaru, ☎ +6281339762406 /+6287765073704 ([email protected]). 15 clean rooms at this simple hotel. All rooms have private bathrooms and western toilets, bath or shower, work desk. Restaurant,parking area, garden & Free WiFi. Price inclusive chooice of breakfast and Local food Rate Menu all included 10% for government tax & service charge Rp 35 USD for hot water and and for family room 50 tree room for cold water Rp 20 USD.
- Tanjung Luxurious villas to rent, a golf course, boating marina and facilities, Lombok's premier resort the 5 star Oberoi Resort and Tugu, one of Lombok's more eclectic resort newcomers.
- Senggigi Hotels large and small to suit all budgets, stylish boutique resorts, car and motorbike rentals. forest trekking. restaurants and nightlife.
- Kuta Surfing, Tangung Aan and explore the coastline of the south.