Sembalun is one of the two key gateway village`s to an arduous trek up Mount Rinjani, Lombok. There is a lot more to this area than that though, and those visitors less inclined towards serious trekking should not be discouraged from visiting here. Sembalun is beautiful and has one of the best scenery and it is magnificent all around, including some notable waterfalls, rice- and strawberry fields and apple tree gardens.
The village of Sasak is in Sembalun region.
The area around Sembalun and Senaru was the birthplace of Lombok's unique Wektu Telu belief system - ancient animist practices combined with Islam.
From the main north coast road, turn south at the small town of Bayan from where it is about 8 km to Sasak village, next to Senaru village
If you are coming from the main tourist areas in West Lombok, expect to pay about Rp 300,000-400,000 for a taxi or chartered vehicle.
You can hire a transportation from the main tourist areas in West Lombok
It is possible, if a little difficult, to get to Senaru and Sasak by bus from Mataram. From the main Mataram bus terminal take a bus headed towards Anyar. These are infrequent, there is no reliable timetable and the journey is 2.5-3 hours. From Anyar, regular bemos run to Senaru and Sembalun area until about 4PM every daily.
Once you are around here, just walk. It`s amazing around here.
At 3,726 m, Rinjani is the second highest volcano in Indonesia, second only to Mount Kerinci on Sumatra, and it dominates the landscape of the relatively small island of Lombok.
Within its huge 50 km² caldera sits the crater lake Segara Anak (Child of the Sea). Eruptions within the caldera have formed a new small cone called appropriately enough, Gunung Baru (New Mountain). Segara Anak has a natural hot spring.
The mountain and its satellites form the Mount Rinjani National Park (Taman Nasional Gunung Rinjani) - officially 41,000 hectares within the park boundaries and a further 66,000 hectares of protected forest outside.
In 2008, the Indonesian government proposed to UNESCO that Mount Rinjani be one of the world's official geoparks. If this was approved by UNESCO, Mount Rinjani would become the first such geological park in Indonesia.
Another key attraction, aside the Mount Rinjani itself are some of the well known astonishingly beautiful waterfalls. You might find it hard to locate these waterfalls, so it is recommended to hire a guide. There are many good guides available around Sasak village.
- Air Terjun Sindang Gila (En. Slightly Crazy Waterfalls). The best known and most spectacular of the three. The water cascades everywhere here breaking some 50 m above the main arrival point. From Senaru village walk about 20 minutes to the southeast. The path is pleasant and leads through some splendid tropical forest. edit
- Air Terjun Tiu Kelep. Less spectacular but still very much worth it. Continue on uphill from Sindang Gila for about 40-60 minutes (depending on your fitness - this will involve a steep uphill climb and a creek crossing and several other obstacles). Tiu Kelep has a nice bathing pool below the falls with very cool invigorating water . edit
- MANGKU SAKTI WATERFALL near the beautiful village of Sajang, close to the Sembalun area. Take a short scooter ride to the designated parking area on the outskirts of the forest and then go on a relaxing 15 minute walk to the beautiful waterfall. Dont be afraid to walk towards it and bathe in the pool of refreshing clean blue water. Maybe find a nicely shaped rock and lay your towel on it to enjoy the sun for a while. The peaceful sound of the waterfall will surely help you leave any worries behind. Once you are done enjoying the waterfall, maybe venture down the rocks and follow the flow of the water to find yourself in between naturally shaped walls of lava rock. Maybe bathe in here again for a while and take some unique pictures surrounded by the natural setting.
Climbing Mount Rinjani is not to be taken lightly and hiring a guide is a must.
There are at least other two extra options, not mentioned anywhere, to climb the Mt.Rinjani.
Option 1: Climb the mountain with a night trek and reach the crater for the sunrise and come back in the same day (better start at 10.30/11pm if you want reach the crater rim for the sunrise and do it in full moon nights). You can do it by yourself or with a trek company (the price should be between 400.000 and 750.000). Some wild animals can be seen on the way such like wild pigs or deer,but it's rare, more probably you will meet some semi wild dogs which are not harmless, just through a stone and they will disappear. Take a torch/flashlight which last for 6 hours, some food and at least 3lt of water. If you're not interested on the sunrise and you want just see the crater you can starts later but remember after 10.30/11am the crater is covered by the clouds so you will not see anything and a fit person can reach the crater in less then 6 hours but normally takes 7-8 hours.
Option 2: you can arrange your trek from Tete Batu the costs are pretty much similar to all the others the big difference is in what you will see. You will approach the mountain from the south side which is much easier and the view of the volcano in the lake is far much more closer
- Royal Rinjani Tour, Sembalun, ☎ +6281805791762 ([email protected]), . Mount Rinjani Trekking organizer from Sembalun offers trekking package to Mount Rinjani and tour Lombok with professional tour operator, local guide - porter Sembalun, excellent foods and good service. edit
- Mount Rinjani Trekking, Sembalun, ☎ +6287765421056, . or email address ( [email protected] ). Trekking organizer to Mount Rinjani specialist from Sembalun, Senaru, Tetebatu or Timbanuh ascent route with experienced local guide, porter, local foods and good service. edit
- SYAM TREKKER, Senaru, ☎ +6281933171455 ([email protected]), . Trekking organizer to Mount Rinjani specialist from Sembalun and Senaru ascent route with professional and experienced local guide, porter, local foods and good service. edit
- Climbing Rinjani Guide, Sembalun, ☎ +6282340057272, . or email address ( [email protected] ). Climbing Rinjani Guide the best trekking tour package agency to hiking Mount Rinjani via Senaru, Sembalun, Timbanuh and Tetebatu trek route. edit
- Morrist Adventure, Senaru, ☎ +628175724863, . or email address ( [email protected] ). The climb mount Rinjani, assist you an advice trekking Mount Rinjani, hiking tour service, set you up Rinjani Trek package to private or share. edit
- Rinjani Eco Tour, Senaru, ☎ +6285237815211, . or email address ( [email protected] ). Rinjani Eco Tour, the Mount Rinjani Trekking Company with Eco Trek program to preserve Mount Rinjani National Park by taking care of the environment and planting trees is the wise way to keep the natures. edit
There`s many nice local souvenir stalls around the two villages.
All of the local bungalows and homestays have simple cafes attached.
There are a few simple warungs on the road between Senaru and Batu Koq villages. The local Sasak food is excellent — try to to stick with the authentic local cooking. The local food is good and it`s part of the travel to this area.
- Rinjani caffe (internet caffe), senaru village, . Rinjani Caffe in senaru village front of jhon's adventure restaurant have free wifi and drink the staff is really nice and also staff can organize senaru panorama walk, rinjani trekking and transport service. edit
There are quite a few places to stay in both of these villages.
- Sembalun Agro Villa (Villa and restaurant), Sembalun village, ☎ +6281997880373 ([email protected]), . Sembalun Agro Villa located in Sembalun village in east Lombok is friendly and best area to stay in lombok offers four bedroom villas, six superior rooms and six standard rooms with private terrace, located on the hill with lovely views of sunset over Mount Rinjan. From Rp 450,000 to 650.000. edit
- Sembalun Lodge (Room and Breakfast), Sembalun village, ☎ +62 818 0579 1762 ([email protected]), . Sembalun Lodge located in Sembalun village in east Lombok is friendly and best place to stay in lombok offers eight standard rooms with private terrace From US$ 17. edit
- Pondok Senaru (cottage and restaurant), Senaru village. Rooms here are quite grand by Rinjani standards (they have hot water for example)It has a nice view to the rice fields. From Rp 300,000 to 600.000. edit
- Anak Rinjani (cottage and restaurant), Senaru village. Rooms here have a lesser view but they are pretty comfortable and the staff is nice. From Rp 200 000. edit
- Emy's cafe (Homestay and restaurant), Senaru village (Next to the main road, about 500 m up from the beginning of the path leading to the waterfalls). Rooms were simple but nice, clean and not smelling bad. The owner was talkative and had a nice family. They offered coffee and help all the time. Family was organising trekking tours to mount rinjani and one of the boys was working as a guide. From Rp 150,000. edit
- Tanjung Luxurious villas to rent, a golf course, boating marina and facilities, Lombok's premier resort the 5 star Oberoi Resort and Tugu, one of Lombok's more eclectic resort newcomers.
- Senggigi Hotels large and small to suit all budgets, stylish boutique resorts, car and motorbike rentals. forest trekking. restaurants and nightlife.
- Kuta Surfing, Tangung Aan and explore the coastline of the south.