Selinunte (full name Marinella di Selinunte) is a village on the south coast of Sicily, Italy most famous for the neighbor ruins of the Greek city of Selinus.
Several buses a day run from outside the railway station in Castelvetrano to Selinunte. However the timetables are 'not entirely reliable' so be prepared for a long wait.
From Castelvetrano, there are reasonably regular trains to Palermo, Mazara del Vallo, Marsala and Trapani.
There are frequent buses from Castelvetrano to Mazara del Vallo, Marsala and Trapani, and less frequently to Palermo, Sciacca, Eraclea Minoa and Agrigento.
As all archeological parks it is a pedestrian area but there is an electric bus running up and down the park taking you from the Temples area to the Acropolis through the harbour.
The Selnius complex is large and impressive, with excellent views over the coastline beyond.
There are three temples near the entrance: one imposingly re-erected, one partially rebuilt and one a huge pile of stone columns and lintels.
Further on is the Acropolis - the former city has some monumental protective walls, especially impressive is the North Gate. Inside are another four temples, again in varying states of repair.
Enjoy the quiet beaches located towards the east from Marinella di Selinunte.
- Boomerang, Piazzale delle Metope, 91022 Marinella, ☎ +39 335 656 3751. Seafood Restaurant edit
- FrescoMare, Via Clizia, 4b di fronte Piazzale ex Stazione FS, 91022 Marinella, ☎ +39 371 361 2781. Seafood Home Restaurant edit
- Voglimi, Via Marco Polo, 91022 Marinella, ☎ +39 328 167 9754. Restaurant edit
- Amigos, Via degli Argonauti, 4, 91022 Marinella, ☎ +39 328 756 9024. Bar Take out edit
- Admeto, Via Palinuro, 3, 91022 Marinella di Selinunte, ☎ +39 092 446 796 ([email protected]), . Hotel edit
- Alceste, Via Alceste, 21, 91022 Marinella di Selinunte, ☎ +39 092 446 184 ([email protected]), . Hotel edit
- Il Pescatore, Via Castore e Polluce, 31, 91022 Marinella, ☎ +39 092 446 3003. B&B edit
- L'Oasi di Selinunte, Via Pitagora, 63, 91022 Marinella, ☎ +39 092 446 885 ([email protected]), . Hotel & Resort edit
- Patrizia Selinunte, Via Pitagora, 27, 91022 Marinella, ☎ +39 333 9245415, . B&B Villa edit
- Riviera, Antonio Pigafetta, 2, 91022 Marinella, ☎ +39 092 446 024. Hotel edit
- The Cava di Cusa - the quarry that produced the stone for the Selinus temples is a short car ride away. There, you can see partially-carved columns - abandoned columns also punctuate the original track back to the temple site.
- Mazara del Vallo