Selat Panjang (Selatpanjang) is capital city of Kepulauan Meranti Regency
Chinese Temple Vihara Sejahtera Sakti
This is the capital of the newly-created Regency of province Riau in Indonesia. The city is fast growing with a population around 100,000. It is a trading, shipping, shopping and tourism "seafood" center in the region.
Selat Panjang does not have an operational airport, so travellers' only option is to get in by boat. Selat Panjang has good ferry connections transit with Singapore and Batu Pahat in the southwestern tip of Johor, Malaysia as well as the other Riau Islands and the Sumatra "mainland".
The Tanjung Harapan ferry terminal at Selat Panjang at of Jalan Tanjung Harapan is the main passenger port of Selat Panjang City and is used by all domestic and international services from the city. It is a visa-free for most ASEAN citizens and a visa-on-arrival port; see Indonesia's Get in section for visa details.
- From Malaysia Batu Pahat Minyak Beku Ferry Terminal,operate a round-the-clock service between the Peninsular Malaysia and the Indonesia. Run every day of the year across the Strait of Malacca. Every day on MV.Elucgho and MV.Indo Mall ( H/P 016-788 0400/[email protected] ).Batu Pahat Minyak Beku Ferry Terminal also have the comfortable fleet on these waters. Minyak Beku to Selat Panjang takes approximately 2 Hours 30 minutes. Selat Panjang Terminal also have ferry to Tanjung Balai, Tanjung Pinang, Pulau Batam, Peka Baru.
Please note that the two companies' code-sharing agreement allows you to board any ferry at Selat Panjang for the return leg to Malaysia only if you hold a return ticket that was purchased in Malaysia. If you buy your ticket in Selat Panjang, you can only board the ferry of the company from which you buy the ticket. http://www.bpft.net/
- From Singapore's Tanah Merah ferry terminal (TMFT), there are 5-7 direct ferries every day on Penguin , IndoFalcon and Wavemaster (+65-6786 9959). The ferry fare is SGD28-40/50 one-way/return. There are two trips on Mon-Fri and three trips during Sat-Sun-Public Holidays.Transit Sekupang, with ferries from Singapore is best used for those catching domestic connections to the Selatpanjang and Sumatra mainland.
- From other parts of Indonesia
- Batam, Bintan and other Riau Islands:
- MV Dumai Express (Tel: +62-765-31820) operates several ferries to/from Batam,Karimunand Bintan.
- MV Batam Jet (Tel: +62-765-35888)has daily ferries to Batam.
- MV Mikonata(Tel: +62-765-31820)operates several ferries to/from Karimun
- MV Batam Line(Tel: +62-765-35888)operates several ferries to/from Batam,Karimunand Bintan.
In Batam, ferries dock at Sekupang, next to the international ferry terminal where there are connecting ferries to Singapore. In Bintan, ferries arrive/depart from Tanjung Pinang harbour in the middle of town.
The cheapest way to travel in Selatpanjang is by Becak.You can get almost anywhere in Selatpanjang for IDR 10.000 or IDR. 20.000.
Chinese Temple Vihara Panca Sakti
Chinese new year in selatpanjang
Iman Bonjol Street,a traditional Selat Panjang street
Sago noodles and Won Ton noodles.The famous Selatpanjang Food
- Chinese Temple Vihara Sejahtera SaktiAyani Street,Selatpanjang.This chinese temple was built in 1868.
- Chinese Temple Vihara Panca SaktiSungai Juling Village, Selatpanjang
- Chinese Temple Vihara Buddha DharmaIbrahim Street, Selatpanjang
- Grand Mosque Daarul UlumSiak Street, Selatpanjang
- Some Different way to celebrating Chinese New Years
Stroll around Selat Panjang, which is the main town on Tebing Tinggi Island, and one of the busiest towns in the Riau. You can walk around and explore on your own or you can take a becak (small public vehicle) for IDR. 20.000.
To enjoy the rural lifestyle on a tropical Indonesian island, you need to get away from Selat Panjang and go to some local kampung(village) areas in Alai or Dorak beach.
Vist the Chinese temples of Klenteng TUA PEK KONG( Vihara Sejahtera Sakti), in Ayani street in Selatpanjang City. Take your time to look at the temple drawings such as "Story of Devotion to the state of children and parents".
There is a small department store called 99, where you can get all the items required for normal consumption. There are also stores named Incomix and OK Minimart. This 3-storey department store offers food, clothing, housewares, stationery and basic necessities. For fruit and vegetables there is the Pasar. A pasar is a traditional market (bazaar) for daily fruit and vegetables, fish, other groceries and clothes.
- Dinasty Restaurant location : Tebing Tinggi Street No 49 Selatpanjang, Contact telp number:+62-763 31792.For those who love to eat seafood. this restaurant will be the right place for you. they offer variety of life seafood such as crab, fish, shell and a lot more. They also have "HEKHO" which u cannot find in singapore or malaysia.If you happen to go there, remember to order the pepper crab, sauce crab, kangkung belacan, ALL the grilled seafood, hekho, fried chicken, cereal prawn, fried sotong, lobster and a lot more. oh ya, there is one more seafood that u cant find in singapore called "Spicy and sour Lome".
- Chinese Food:Several chinese restaurants can be found along Imam Bonjol street or Sungai Juling Street. This is probably the central area for Chinese food. Noodles are also available.
- Asia Baru Restaurant For those who love to eat indonesia food( nasi Padang )this restaurant will be the right place for you.Location: Iman bonjol Street Selatpanjang (close to Vihara Sejahtera sakti/Tua Pek kong Temple ).Four persons eat much for less than RM 20 or S$ 8
- Miso is a kind of noodle soup, noodle is made of yellow noodles and vermicelli noodles that have been boiled and sprinkled know, chicken, fried onions and slices of celery with the sauce poured soup that has characterized by a thick and fragrant aroma and a blend of soy sauce and chili sauce so it tasted salty and spicy whole,is just as popular as nasi goreng. Both are sold from street side stalls, or push carts that make their rounds through the neighborhoods.
- Sago Noodle/Mie saguNoodle dishes from Sago is the Selatpanjang area.The famous Selatpanjang Food
- Alpukat jus / Avocado juice
- kam chia cui / sugar cane
- Es Campur Indonesian famous drink
- Laksemane Mengamuk Riau famous drink
- Carlsberg and Guinness are produced locally, as well as Bintang and Tiger beer.
- Grand Meranti Hotel: Kartini Street No 55.Selatpanjang/Kepulauan Meranti - Indonesia. A beautiful and well designed hotel with good quality of services. TEL : -62-763-33588, 33388 FAX : +62-763-33688 E-MAIL :[email protected] .Prices from IDR. 300,000 - IDR.550.000 (S$ 42 - S$ 78 ) inclusive of breakfast.http://www.grandmeranti.co.cc/p/contact-us.html
- New Furama Hotel: DI Panjaitan Street,Selatpanjang/Kepulauan Meranti - Indonesia. For advance booking: tel: +62-763-434088, 32088. Prices from IDR. 150,000 - IDR.500.000 (S$ 20-S$ 70) inclusive of breakfast.
- Trio Jaya Hotel: Masjid Street No. 5, Selatpanjang/Kepulauan Meranti - Indonesia. Close to the ferry terminal but hotel offers complimentary terminal pickup and drop off. tel:+62-763-31283,31434. Prices from IDR. 138,000 - IDR.198.000 (S$ 19 - S$ 28 ) inclusive of breakfast.
- Lily Hotel:Tebingtinggi Street No.58, Selatpanjang/Kepulauan Meranti - Indonesia. tel: +62-763-31155, 31555. Between IDR.130.000 and IDR. 225.000.(S$ 18 - S$ 32)inclusive of breakfast.
- Holiday Guesthouse:Tengku Umar Street No.6, Selatpanjang/Kepulauan Meranti - Indonesia. tel:+62-763-32703, Prices from IDR. 45.000 - IDR. 60.000 (S$ 6 - S$ 8)
- Sempena Guesthouse:Tebing Tinggi Street No 52,Selatpanjang/Kepulauan Meranti - Indonesia.tel: +62-763-32757, Prices from Rp. IDR. 80.000 - IDR. 100.000 (S$ 11 - S$ 14)
- The country code for Indonesia is 62. The area code for Selatpanjang is 763. To call Singapore from Wartel phone shop, please dial 007-65 follow by the phone number.
Post office (known as Kantor Pos in Indonesia language) in Selatpanjang City is open daily except Sundays and public holidays. The postal code is 28753
The nearest airport is on Batam island, so you'll need to head back there for domestic flights.For International flights heading to Singapore or Batu Pahat,Minyak Beku Ferry Terminal (Malaysia),would be the best option. International seaport tax is 60,000 IDR.