Segesta is the site of an ancient Graeco-Roman city on the Italian island of Sicily, some 74 km SW of Palermo.
The site is immediately off the main A29 road, straight after a long tunnel if travelling from the East.
Parking is no longer at the site of the ruins but is at a new site little way down the road. This site has a cafe and souvenir store. €5 will get a car parked and a transfer of the occupants by bus to the archeological park. You then pay a furthe €9 per person park entry.
Entry to the temple is on foot - about a 5 minute uphill walk.
A bus (EUR 1.50) is available every 30 minutes to the site of the Amphitheatre at the top of the hill. It's a brisk, uphill 20 minute walk alternatively (no entrance fee). Last bus back to the parking lot is around 19:00.
Detail of the temple, showing the unfinished stonework as it was abandoned.
There are 2 major sights at this location:
- Doric temple - built 430-420 BCE, 61 m (190 feet) long, 26 m wide, built upon a platform of 4 steps, with a total of 36 Doric columns supporting the stone roof-frame of the structure (14 columns along the lengths of the building, 6 columns across front and back). The columns are of a "rough" finish because they were apparently never "fluted", the temple never reached completion. The temple seems also to have lacked a roof over the cella (main chamber) in antiquity, rather uniquely - scholars are in disagreement as to whether the temple was deliberately planned this way, or just never completed. Entry is charged.
- Ancient Theatre - an amazing hilltop feature built by the Greeks c 400BC, known by the Romans and rediscovered in the 19th Century. Hosts dramatic theatre in the Summer months.
In addition there are other remains from the Roman and medieval periods which are documented by signage in 5 languages across the site.
- Meditation place. Because of the location between the hills and terraces, also the boundless space feeling, it is a wonderful place for meditations. Leave your noisy world and routine somewhere in the very far distance. edit
- La Manna, SS113, 91013 Calatafimi, ☎ +39 340 780 6505 ([email protected]), . Open 10:00-22:00. Restaurant and shop are located at the foot of the Segesta Archaeological Park. edit
- Tenute Margana, Contrada Margana, 91013 Calatafimi, ☎ +39 338 720 8920 ([email protected]), . Restaurant and lodging edit
- Eden di Segesta, C/da Barbaro, 91013 Calatafimi, ☎ +39 392 197 5927 ([email protected]), . B&B edit
- La Suite di Segesta, Strada Provinciale Segesta Tempio, 91013 Calatafimi, ☎ +39 333 312 6455, . B&B (N37.943000,E12.851600) edit
- Segesta Antichi Sapori, SS113, snc, 91013 Calatafimi, ☎ +39 366 313 3742. edit