Schenectady  once called the city that lights and hauls the world, is located in the Hudson Valley region of New York. Located approximately 20 minutes from New York's capital of Albany (New York) is best known as the birthplace of General Electric and for Proctor's Theater. Schenectady has also been working on a successful project to revitalize its downtown.
For tourists visiting the Capital District, Schenectady is a strongly recommended stop along your tour.
Schenectady is located approximately 24 km (15 miles) northwest of Albany, New York. It is accessed from the NYS Thruway (I-90) at exits 25 and 26 which are the two ends of Schenectady's connector interstate of I-890. It can also be accessed from I-87 via 4 lane surface routes of NY 7 (I-87 exit 6) and NY 5 (I-87 exit 2)
Greyhound Bus Lines 22 State St, +1-518-346-6113,  The bus station is located about a block from Schenectady County Community College. While the bus station is nothing to look at it is in a fairly safe area just a few blocks from the main downtown area.
Capital District Transportation Authority, +1 518 482-8822 . CDTA offers scheduled bus service 7 days a week. See CDTA's website for bus schedules.
Amtrak connects Schenectady with New York City (approx. 3 1/2 hours), Buffalo (5 hours), Toronto (7 hours), and Montreal (7 1/2 hours). Many additional trains run between New York City and Albany-Rensselaer Station, 20 miles away.
- Museum of Science and Innovation (MiSci), 15 Nott Terrace Hts, 12308, ☎ 518-382-7890, . Tuesday - Sunday, 10AM - 5PM. Formerly known as the Schenectady Museum & Suits-Bueche Planetarium, MiSci is a dynamic destination just a short drive from Albany, Saratoga, and Troy which celebrates science, invention, and imagination. The Museum explores the area’s rich technological heritage, with some of the region’s finest interactive exhibits; a must-see for families, tourists, area residents, and other visitors. $3 - $5. edit
- The Stockade, north of Union St. downtown along and near the Mohawk River, . The Stockade historic district is the oldest residential neighborhood in the U.S., with about 40 structures dating back to the Revolutionary War era or even earlier. Strongly recommended for lovers of early American architecture. edit
- Central Park Rose Garden, 500 Iroquois Ln, Schenectady, NY 12309-6144, . is an overlooked gem that's definitely worth a visit. Filled with flowers and plants of many varieties, the peaceful atmosphere is great for an evening stroll, and the sunset can be seen through the trees during the summer. edit
- Via Aquarium, 93 West Campbell Road, Schenectady, NY 12306, ☎ 518-280-5100, . MON-FRI: 10 AM to 7 PM, SAT: 10 AM to 8 PM, SUN: 11 AM to 6 PM. is the Capital Region's only full scale aquarium. Be advised that the admission gates close at 6 PM Monday-Friday, 7 PM on Saturday and 5 PM on Sunday (1 hour before closing). edit
- Proctors Theatre, 432 State Street, 12305, ☎ (518) 382-1083, . Proctors is the Capital Region's premier theater for Broadway shows and more. Large plays such as Phantom of the Opera have played here. Free garage parking and lower ticket prices make this an excellent alternative to NYC's Broadway. Proctors has been recently remodeled and has excellent reviews. edit
- Rivers Casino and Resort, 1 Rush Street, Schenectady, NY 12305, ☎ 518-579-8800, . is a new casino in downtown Schenectady, not far from the Mohawk River. edit
- Schenectady Civic Playhouse, 12 South Church St, Schenectady, NY 12305, ☎ 518-382-2081, . is the Capital Region's oldest community theater and worth a stop whenever there's a show. edit
- Jay Street, Jay Street between State St and Franklin St., ☎ N/A. Jay St. is a collection of unusual shops and restaurants. If you're looking for places you wouldn't find in a mall this is an ideal, albeit unusual, place to shop. edit
- Schenectady Greenmarket, ☎ 518-986-0318, . Each Sunday vendors sell locally produced items such as produce and other organic products. There is also music and prepared meals. Shopping begins at 10 AM. From November–April it's inside Proctors and from May–October it's around City Hall. edit
- Uncle Sam's All American Chocolate Factory, 2571 Albany St, Schenectady, NY 12304-1835, ☎ 518-372-2243, . Mon-Sat 8am-8pm & Sun 11am-6pm. contains a great selection of chocolates! edit
- Divinitea, 1708 Union St, Schenectady, NY 12309-6222, ☎ 518-347-0689, . has a great selection of organic and loose leaf tea. edit
- Glen Sanders Mansion, 1 Glen Avenue, Scotia, NY 12302, ☎ (518) 374 - 7262, . Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30 am - 2:00 pm Dinner: Mon-Sat 5 pm - 10 pm Sun 4 pm - 9 pm Sunday Brunch: 10:30 am - 1 pm. From website: Glen Sanders Mansion Restaurant is the perfect blend of the very old and the very new making it one of the most unique restaurants in the Schenectady area. Steeped in history dating back to 1658, the main dining room features double Dutch doors, with hand made hinges and original fireplaces. The perfect spot before a Proctors show, anniversary celebration or business luncheon. $$$$$. edit
- Bangkok Bistro, 268 State St, 12305, ☎ 518-374-2806, . 11a - ?. Located on the corner of Erie Blvd, and State street just a couple of blocks from Proctors, this restaurant though somewhat expensive has a good variety of Thai dishes. Note this location is closed as they tore down the historic Nicholaus building it occupied. The new location is in nearby Niskayuna: http://www.thaithaibistrony.com/ $$$. edit
- Canali's Restaurant, 126 Mariaville Rd, Schenectady, NY 12306-1429, ☎ 518-355-5323, . Closed on Mondays. Open Tues-Thurs from 4-9 PM, Friday & Saturday from 4-9:30 PM and Sunday from 4-9 PM. is a long time local favorite located in the nearby Town of Rotterdam (about 3 miles from downtown Schenectady) with great Italian food. edit
- Katie O’Byrne’s Irish Pub & Restaurant, 121 Wall Street Schenectady, NY, ☎ 518-395-5999, . located right near the Amtrak station, this is a great local pub if you're in the mood for a drink or for a hot dinner of Shepherd's Pie or corned beef. edit
- Blue Ribbon Restaurant & Bakery, 1801 State Street, Schenectady, NY 12304, ☎ 518-393-2600, . Mon-Sat: 7 AM-10:30 PM, Sun: 7AM-10 PM. is more than just a bakery. They serve excellent eat-in breakfasts and have equally great baked goods and desserts. Their dinners are also excellent, particularly if you're in the mood for spinach pie or moussaka. The oreo cheesecake is also a local favorite. edit
- Johnny's, 433 State St, Schenectady, NY 12305-2322, ☎ 518-982-5657, . Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM Saturday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM. is a local favorite, especially if you like pasta. edit
- Parker Inn, 434 State St # 1, 12305 (Next to Proctors), ☎ +1-518-688-1001, . $149 - $325. edit
- The Landing Hotel, 1 Rush Street Schenectady, NY 12308, ☎ 518-579-8840, . is located on the Mohawk River next to the Rivers Casino and Resort. edit
- Belvedere Inn, 1926 Curry Road, Schenectady, NY 12303, ☎ 518-630-4020, . located in the Town of Rotterdam (about 3 miles from downtown Schenectady). edit
- Stockade Inn, 1 N Church St, Schenectady, NY 12305, ☎ (518) 346-3400. Nice place in the historic stockade neighborhood. Lounge featuring live jazz on Thursdays and Fridays. edit
|Routes through Schenectady