Schaumburg is a city in Chicagoland, best known for its ever popular Woodfield Mall, which is the second most visited tourist attraction in Illinois.
Schaumburg is the local hub for shopping and nightlife in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. Located roughly 28 miles (45 km) northwest of the Chicago Loop and 15 miles (24 km) northwest of O'Hare International Airport. The city contains the world headquarters of Motorola Solutions and the 10th largest mall in The United States, which at most times has over 300 stores.
Originally a mostly German community, the population has evolved significantly over the past 150 years and Schaumburg is now home to a diverse community with a nearly 20% Asian population. The change has also pushed the diversity of the local economy with a significant number of Indian, Thai, Korean, and Chinese restaurants and shops scattered throughout the area. That change, coupled with the village's own push for economic growth since the 1990's, has developed into what may be the biggest regional shopping area outside of Chicago proper.
Schaumburg is just off the I-90 in Illinois. From the Congress pkwy, take the exit onto I-90 W/I-94 W toward Wisconsin & continue to follow I-90 W. After about 27 miles, take the left exit onto Roselle road, move straight & turn right at W Thacker Street.
Chicago's Metra Rail system serves the Schaumburg area through the Milwaukee District West Rail Line connecting to Chicago’s Union Station to the east and Elgin to the west. Paid parking is available with the option to purchase reduced rate permit parking passes. Schedules are available at www.MetraRail.com
The Chicagoland Pace Bus system has a hub (The Northwest Transportation Center) near the Streets of Woodfield, a shopping district located between I-290 and Higgins Road (IL-72), where seven scheduled routes make stops. In addition to the regularly scheduled services, express services exists to special events such as Bear’s and Cub’s games. There is also a free trolley service from the station that travels to a number of shopping destinations in the area.
Schaumburg is located about 15 miles from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, ironically making it more convenient for incoming travelers than most downtown locations. Incoming travelers can get to Schaumburg by driving West along the I-90 to the South Roselle Road exit or taking Higgins Road (IL-72) west, most cab companies offer rides or fixed rates for around $30. Schaumburg also has a regional airport located at 905 W. Irving Park Road, it is easily accessible from I-290 via the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway. The airport handles about 35,000 operations per year and supports light aircraft.
- Chicago Athenaeum International Sculpture Park, 201 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193, . The sculpture garden of the Athenaeum, an independent museum of architecture and design. It includes the works of international and American sculptors chosen to fit the natural environment. Free. edit
- Spring Valley Nature Preserve, 1111 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, ☎ 847/985-2100, . 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM. 135 acres of fields, forests, marshes and streams. Handicapped-accessible hiking trails leading to a nature center with natural history displays and an 1880s living history farm. Free. edit
- Trickster Art Gallery, 190 South Roselle Rd., ☎ (847)301-2090, . Tues. – Sat., 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM. Contemporary Native arts and culture. The gallery is the only Native American owned and operated arts institution in Illinois. Its aim is to provide space for first-voice multi-cultural arts, veterans and social justice issues related to these areas. It features contemporary Native art and augments exhibits with speakers, panel discussions, school tours and educator workshops. Free. edit
- Boomers Baseball, 1999 Springinsguth Road, Schaumburg, IL 60193, ☎ (847)461-3695, . The local minor league baseball team playing in the Frontier League. The team is no slouch and has a full stadium with well attended local games. Plenty of parking and right next to the Metra train station to downtown. $7-10. edit
- Schaumburg Library, 130 S Roselle Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60193, ☎ (847)985-4000, . M-F 9AM-10PM, Sat. 10AM-6PM, Sun. 12PM-5PM. The second largest library in Illinois after the Harold Washington Library in downtown Chicago. A wonderfully setup modern building with comfortable reading spaces, the requisite host of books and references, and a great collection of media. The library also hosts a number of educational, entertainment, and community events. Free. edit
- Schaumburg September Fest, Schaumburg Rd. at Summit Dr., 101 Schaumburg Ct., . 9AM-9PM. Each year during Labor Day Weekend, Schaumburg hosts its annual Septemberfest including a full carnival, craft vendors, food fair, and concerts. A fun and relatively inexpensive way to see much of what Schaumburg has to offer. $10. edit
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center, 601 N. Martingale Road (At the Streets of Woodfield), ☎ (847)592-9700, . 10AM-7PM. This attraction for children features a full replica of Chicago using LEGO bricks and a number of educational activities inspired by LEGO. $18+. edit
- Chicago Improv Comedy Club, Woodfield Mall K120B, Schaumburg, IL (South side, downstairs), ☎ (847)240-2001, . Thurs. – Sun., 7:30 PM or later. Located underneath Woodfield Mall. Mostly stand up comics from across the country, sometimes a little improv show thrown in. Really nice venue, much larger than you'd think, serves food and drinks. $19+. edit
- Laugh Out Loud Comedy Theatre, The Streets of Woodfield, 601 N Martingale Rd, ☎ (847)240-0386, . Thurs.-Sat., 7:30 PM or 9:30 PM. A full on, traditional improv theatre with shows for both children (7:30) and adults (8:00/9:30) depending on the day. $12-19. edit
- Woodfield Mall, 5 Woodfield Mall, . 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM. One of the top ten largest malls in the United States in both retail space and number of stores. Also one of the largest draws to the area with over 27 million visitors per year. edit
- Streets of Woodfield, 601 N Martingale Rd Schaumburg, IL. Located nearby to the larger Woodfield Mall, Streets of Woodfield is a collection of restaurants, upscale stores, and other attractions including an AMC 20 movie theatre, Gameworks arcade, and the Legoland Discovery Center. edit
- IKEA, 1800 E. McConnor Parkway Schaumburg, IL 60173. 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM. Schaumburg is home to one of the iconic blue and yellow superstores that IKEA has placed across the country. One of two in Illinois, the Schaumburg store is a huge collection of home and office furnishings of all kinds, topped with the essential Swedish food court. edit
As a regional hub for shopping, Schaumburg is also home to many local, regional, and national restaurant chains. Those looking for fine dining may need to head into Evanston or Chicago, but a few gems and unique experiences are able to be found in Schaumburg. For travelers and locals just looking for a place to eat, Schaumburg offers plenty of reasonable options in a wide range of cuisines.
- Seasons 52, 1770 E Higgins Rd, ☎ 847-517-5252, . Decent upscale chain that serves seasonal menus with a focus on smaller plates. Exceptional tiny dessert selection and decent wine list. $$$. edit
- India House, 1521 W. Schaumburg Rd Schaumburg, IL, ☎ (847) 895 - 5501, . India House Restaurant & Banquets offers dining, catering, buffet and banquet services and is the largest Indian-owned Banquet Hall in North America. Banquet halls can accommodate 50 to 1000 guests and dining offers over 250 different unique menu items in an ambience full of Indian fine arts and crafts. Offers a daily luncheon buffet and has received accolades from the Chicago Tribune, Zagat Survey, and the Chicago Magazine. As of 2015, often has Groupon deals. edit
- Lou Malnati's Schaumburg, 1 S Roselle Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60193, ☎ (847)985-1525, . 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM. Chain of local Chicago style pizzerias. Probably one of the best deep dish joints outside of the city. $$. edit
- Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament, 2001 N. Roselle Road, Schaumburg, Illinois 60195, ☎ 1-866-543-9637, . Probably one of the most recognizable features of Schaumburg with its recreation castle exterior. Medieval Times offers an exciting, family-friendly dinner attraction inspired by an 11th century feast and tournament. Guests are served a four-course banquet and cheer for one of six Knights competing in the joust and other tests of skill. Great tourist attraction for kids, also offers dungeon tours and medieval-themed gift shop. ADULT: $59.95 (+tax) CHILD 12 YEARS & UNDER: $35.95 (+tax). edit
- Bisi African Grill, 853 S Roselle Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60193, ☎ (847)466-5425, . Weds-Sat 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM. An exceptional and unexpected suburban restaurant that features well-made Nigerian food. Place can be a bit slow, especially when busy, but the food is worth it. Vegetarian-friendly but has meat options. Not open Mon. and Tues. $. edit
- Pilot Pete's, 905 West Irving Park Road, ☎ 847.891.5100, . 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM, Fri. & Sat. until 11:00 PM and Sun. until 9:00 PM. A fun aeronautic themed restaurant located on the property of the Schaumburg Regional Airport, with views of the runway. Has decent food and a great hamburger that is famed as a private pilot burger destination. Reasonably priced, it's a fun destination for families with children and has a tiki-themed bar for adults. $$. edit
- Cup and Vine, 55 W. Schaumburg Rd, ☎ 630-635-2987, . 6:30AM-8PM, until 10PM Fri/Sat. Cup and Vine is a quaint, rustic coffeehouse that serves great coffees and teas and mediocre food. $. edit
- The Beer Market, 888 N Meacham, SchaumburgIL 60173, ☎ (847)517-8300, . Sun-Tues 11AM-Midnight, Weds-Thurs 11AM-1AM, Fri-Sat 11AM-2AM. A decent local chain with over 500 beers available. Pretty big bar area and occasionally has live music and other small events. $$. edit
- Wickets Bar and Grill, 601 N Martingale Rd, ☎ (847)619-1400, . Sun-Thurs 11AM-10PM, Fri-Sat 11AM-1AM. A run-of-the-mill sports bar and restaurant that's conveniently located within the Streets of Woodfield shopping area. $$. edit
- Doubletree Chicago / Schaumburg, 800 National Parkway, ☎ 847-605-9222, . edit
- Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center Hotel, 1551 N. Thoreau Dr. Schaumburg, IL 60173, ☎ +1-847-303-4100, . checkin: 16:00; checkout: 12:00. This hotel near Woodfield Mall features modern guest rooms, Sam & Harry's Steakhouse, an indoor pool, 24-hr fitness center and is connected to a conference center. $119 USD and above. edit
- Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Chicago, 1800 East Golf Road, ☎ 847 605 1234, . Luxury hotel with complimentary shuttle to Woodfield Shopping Center. edit
- Sonesta ES Suites Schaumburg, 901 E Woodfield Office CT, ☎ 847-619-6677, . This hotel offers fully equipped kitchens, work area, outdoor pool, sports court, and complimentary buffet breakfast. edit
- Hyatt House Chicago/Schaumburg, 1251 American Lane, ☎ 847-706-9007, . checkin: 3pm; checkout: 12pm. The ultimate overnight accommodations with all suite rooms that have fully equipped kitchens, full hot breakfast every morning with cooked to order omelets, free wi-fi, free parking, business center, indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, fitness center, outdoor sports court, and outdoor patio with grills. edit
|Routes through Schaumburg
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!