Sawai Madhopur is in Rajasthan.
Sawai Madhopur was founded by and named after Sawai Madho Singh I in 1763. The current population of the city is approximately 125,000 people. It is generally used by travelers as a place to stay while visiting Ranthambore, 11 km away.
The nearest airport is located in Jaipur.
There are direct connections by train between Sawai Madhopur and Kota (1.5 hours), Jaipur (2 hours), Bharatpur (3 hours), Ajmer (4 hours), Delhi (4+ hours), Agra (5 hours), and Mumbai (13 hours).
Traveling by bus from/to Sawai Madhopur is less preferable than traveling by train. The buses are very slow and uncomfortable.
Buses to Jaipur (6 hours) leave several times per day from a bus stand located near the overpass.
The city can be explored by foot.
Most visitors to Sawai Madhopur visit nearby Ranthambore, which has a fort and a famous national park.
However, there are several attractions within the city:
- Rajiv Gandhi Regional Museum of Natural History, . edit
- Chamatkar Temple, (3km from the railway station). A Jain temple. edit
- Bhairon Temple, (On top of the hill). edit
Take a safari to the national park in nearby Ranthambore.
- Cheetal Handicrafts, Ranthambore Road (Opposite the Hotel Regency), ☎ +91 7462 223196 ([email protected]), . Locally-produced handicrafts. edit
- Dastkar Ranthambhore, ☎ +91 7462 252051 ([email protected]), . A project to provide income to local women by having them produce and sell handmade works including beautiful blockprints, bedsheats, covers, and clothes. Items can also be purchased online from the website. edit
- Dhonk, ☎ +91 9166167005 ([email protected]), . 9AM-5PM. Similar to Dastkar, this is a project that provides local women an opportunity to earn income by producing crafts. Items can also be purchased online from the website. edit
- Ranthambhore School of Art, ☎ (0) 7462 223797 ([email protected]), . An NGO founded by M. D. Parashar, you can buy paintings of tigers produced by the founder. edit
- Manisha Restaurant, Ranthambhore Road. Vegetarian café popular with the locals. Mains: ₹80-160. edit
- Ranthambhore Chokhi Dhani, Ranthambhore Road. Popular for daal baht. edit
- Restaurant @ The Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambhore Road, . edit
Almost every hotel and restaurant serves alcohol and coffee.
Many hotels are located on the edge of the city on Ranthambhore Road. Safari operators will pick up from these hotels by jeep for visits to Ranthambore.
- Ankur Resort, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ +91 7462 220792 ([email protected]), . 40 cottages and 20 rooms. Popular with tour groups. ₹1,600. edit
- Green Valley Ranthambore, Ranthambore Road, ☎ +91 81301 74421, . Cheaper rates can usually be found online, making this one of the cheapest hotels in the area. Single: ₹2,000-2,500; Double: ₹2,500-3,000. edit
- Hammir Wild Life Resort, Ranthambore Road, ☎ +91 7462 220 562 ([email protected]), . Basic hotel. Double: ₹1,800-3,500. edit
- RTDC Hotel Vinayak, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ +91 7462 221 333 ([email protected]), . Operated by the Rajasthani government. Basic but well-priced hotel. Single: ₹1,600 in offseason, ₹2,300 in high season; Double: ₹2,600 in offseason, ₹2,990 in high season. edit
- Jhoomar Baori Castle, Ranthambhore Road, ([email protected]), . Former summer rest house of Jaipur rulers. Operated by the Rajasthani government. From ₹3,600. edit
- Jungle Niwas, Village Sherpur, Khiljipur, ☎ +91 98102 26091 ([email protected]), . Luxury tents. Off the beaten path and a bit harder to find. Single: ₹6,700; Double: ₹7,700. edit
- Mountain View, Ranthambhore Road, ☎ +91 7462 220 505 ([email protected]), . Swimming pool. Friendly staff. Single: ₹3,300-4,300; Double: ₹3,500-4,500, breakfast included. edit
- Pugmark Resort, Village Khilchipur Ranthambhore (Next to the Nahargarh Ranthambhore), ☎ +91 7462 252 205 ([email protected]), . Nice setting with a pool, but the rooms are dated. Single: ₹7,500; Double: ₹8,500. edit
- Ranthambore Forest Resort, Ranthambhore Road (Near Vivekanandapuram Colony), ☎ +91 7462 221 120 ([email protected]), . Friendly and welcoming; good Indian food in the restaurant. ₹7,800. edit
- Ranthambore Haveli, Ranthambore Road (Opposite FCI Godown), ☎ +91 90015 76609, . Built to resemble an old hunting lodge. edit
- Ranthambhore Regency, Ranthambore Road, ☎ +91 7462 221 176 ([email protected]), . Great rooms, décor, food, and service. Highly recommended. Single: ₹6,500; Double: ₹7,500. edit
- Aman-i-Khas, ☎ +91 7462 252052 ([email protected]), . Luxurious tents, with a private butler to assist you. Very expensive. From ₹60,000. edit
- Anuraga Palace, A Treehouse Palace Hotel, Ranthambore Road, ☎ +91 97183 13838 ([email protected]), . Daily music and dancing. Great service. From ₹11,500. edit
- Nahargarh Ranthambhore, Village Khilchipur, Ranthambhore Road (Just northeast of Sawai Modhopur, 8km west from Ranthambore), ☎ +91 7462 252 281 ([email protected]), . Single: ₹9,300-13,300; Double: ₹10,800-18,000. edit
- Oberoi Vanyavilas, Ranthambhore Road, . This hotel features 25 tents with tiger motifs. From ₹38,500. edit
- Vivanta By Taj Sawai Madhopur, ☎ +91 7462 22 0541 ([email protected]), . Originally built in the 1920's as a hunting lodge for the Maharaja of Jaipur. Art deco style. 12 acres of gardens. edit
Almost every hotel in Sawai Madhopur offers free WiFi access.