Sauraha is a town on the border of the Chitwan National Park.
Sauraha, Chitwan District, lies just across the Rapti River from the Chitwan National Park. It is the eastern gateway to the Park. The town provides tourism services including jungle safaris and primarily caters to budget, mid-priced and 3-4 star tourists. Beginning literally as small and very quaint Tharu village of mud and daub huts and houses, with a half dozen mud and daub hotels, it has grown, for good or bad, into a small quiet town full of western style hotels/resorts, restaurants, internet cafes, and gift shops.
In addition to good road access, Sauraha has good air connections through Bharatpur airport with regular daily air services from Pokhara and Kathmandu. The airport lies just 15 km to the west of Sauraha. Will need to change to bus, jeep, taxi for connection to Sauraha. Bharatpur Airport is the country's 4th busiest. It is the main tourist gateway to Chitwan National Park.
Bharatpur Airport (Nepali: भरतपुर विमानस्थल) (IATA: BHR, ICAO: VNBP) is in the Chitwan district of Narayani zone.
The airport is located 1.6 km (1 mi) southwest of Bharatpu. It is operated by the Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN).
Via Kathmandu There are three types of buses available. Cheaper Birganj bound buses which will drop you at Tadi Bazaar about 4 km north of Sunauli where you can easily get local bus, taxi, rickshaws, tanga/pony carts. These second bit more expensive type is the direct tourist buses that are no more comfortable than normal intercity except they are full of tourists. A third type are more comfortable aircondition buses (Greenline, etc). All buses will travel via Mugling, Narayangarh/Bharatpur, Tadi Bazaar, Sauraha. 4-5 hr.
Via Sunauli / Bhairahawa on a eastern bound (Birganj/Biratnagar)buses traveling through Butwal, Bharatpur, Tadi Bazaar. Change to local bus, jeep, pony cart, rickshaw to Sauraha 3-4 hr.
Via Pokhara, like Kathmandu, direct tourist buses are available via Mugling, Narayangarh/Bharatpur, Tadi Bazaar, Sauraha. 3-4 hr.
There are plenty of tricycles, taxis and tour operator vehicles. Barter to half the price if going for taxis or the like!
Inside the town there are few reasons to use any transport, as distances are small.
Many places rent bicycles and mopeds. Mopeds should come at 500 per day or so.
Hitchhiking outside of town is easy and fun.
- Rare one horned Rhino in Chitwan National Park ( and many more wild animals )
- Seraichuli the chepang Hill Trek
- Devghat - a hindu religious destination
- Chitwan national park and the 20,000 lakes (many more natural lakes inside)
- International Elephant Race (During December)
Jungle and wildlife safaris by foot, jeep and elephant. You may see the great one horned rhinoceros (there are hundreds of them in Chitwan). Also many types of deer, monkeys, and much much much rarely Sher Khan, the great Indian Tiger.
Bird watching in and around the jungle. Especially Dashajar Tal (20,000 lakes) wetlands area approximately 10 km north west from Sauraha.
One of the most enjoyable experiences is having a bath with elephants. You can do so everyday between 11 and 12 at Sauraha's shore. You should tip the owner 100-150 Rps
Try a local family homestay, staying in a mud and straw hut in a small picturesque village between the elephant breeding center and the tharu cultural village. Plenty of fruit trees and a genuine experience is guaranteed! You will stay with a local family and eat local food, just a short walk from two of the main sights of Sauraha. Contact the homstay through yurtstay.wordpress.com
There are a dozen or more gift shops around the main bazaar area.
Tharu wares like dhokiya-woven colourful baskets are made locally from rice straw.
- Pasa Store (Pasa Shopping Center), Chitwan Narional Park (Near to Chitwan Gaida lodge), ☎ +977-56-580097. 6 AM. Pasa store is a shopping center in sauraha. It is located near to goverment elephant stable and wildlife display center. here you can get most of the product which is not available all around the sauraha. you can also buy a snacks and drinks in this shop and also available of home maintenance like paints, Nails, some electric items, fevicol, glue, and other items like to eat pringals, Juice, Lays, Cookies, chocolate, cooking spices and many more items as well as stationery items. so if you want a reasonable and cheaper price in sauraha visit this shop. 9 PM. edit
- Hamro Resturant. Typical Nepali food (Dal Bhat) edit
- Samjhana Resturant. Typical Nepali food (Dal Bhat edit
- Madipure's Resturant. Typical Nepali food (Dal Bhat) edit
- Hotel Park Side Terrace Restaurant. edit
- Jungle View Restaurant. edit
- Park View Restaurant, (Opposite the visitors center at the end of Sauraha). It doesn't look like much from the outside but the chef Chitra was trained in one of the expensive resorts. The prices are much lower then in the resorts. You might have to wait a while until it's done. Arrak or beer available. Chicken steak sizzler, chicken burger or lasagna. edit
- Sweet Memory, Sauraha (Halfway through the town opposite the big field). 7AM-10PM. Small familyrun restaurant, decorated in local style, with lots of surprises on the menu. Best coffee in town. edit
- Chilax House, sauraha, Bachhauli VDC, Ward Number 2 (Two minute walk from park ticket counter and Two minute walk from rhino statue chowk), ☎ +977-9845049594 and +977-56-580260 ("[email protected]""). checkin: 7 am to 8 pm; checkout: 7 am to 12 noon. Special package for Chitwan National Park, With its ideal location at Sauraha, 15 minute walk from Sauraha bus Park. Provide free wi-fi and has 4 common rooms and 5 toilet attached Rooms (hot water supplied. Encompasses a organic vegitable and fruit garden, a self cooking facility restaurant cum kitchen. Provides all jungle activities including nature walks, elephant jungle safari, Jeep jungle safari, tharu cultural dance programmes, village tours, jungle excursions, Canoe Ride, and other wildlife related and cultural activities. Ranges from US$3 to US$10. (27.575833°",84.497550°"") edit
- Chitwan Gaida Lodge, (Next to the entrance gate of Chitwan National Park), ☎ +977 56 580083 or +977 9845239509 ([email protected]), . For budget travellers and backpackers. Owned and managed by an ornithologist from South Asia.Best place in sauraha chitwan national park.Luxurious rooms with various choices best excursion guides available at lodge. peaceful, beautiful, natural & home atmosphere- A perfect place to spend your holiday into the wild nature and wildlifes. NR 500-2500. edit
- Jungle Wildlife Camp, Chitwan, ☎ +977 56 580093, . checkin: 11AM; checkout: 11AM. On the banks of the Raptiriver opposite the National Park. Peaceful with sunset views. Budget and luxury rooms, all with view onto the park. Colourful and easygoing Dutch and Nepali management. NR 2,000. edit
- Hotel National Park, Chitwan National Park, Sauraha, Chitwan, Nepal (Near to Motherland Resort or Free pick up from sauraha tourist bus park), ☎ +9779845155749, . checkin: 10 Am; checkout: 12 Noon. This hotel is located in sauraha near to chitwan national park and rapti river. this hotel is run by family so the guest will get love and care so this hotel is highly recommended hotel in booking site and social media. we have variety of room type according to the guest needs normal to air conditioner. This hotel is located in a peaceful environment surrounded by rice field so sometime guest can see wild animal like rhino, Board, Deer near to the hotel. All room have attach bathroom and free WiFi and guest can enjoy hot and cold shower upon their needs and climate. USD 6- USD 25. edit