) is a city in North Guangxi
Wooden drum tower in the centre of the city at night
Sanjiang means three rivers
, named after the three rivers in the county, Rong River, Xun River and Miao River. Located in the north Guangxi, it is a juncture of Guangxi, Hunan and Guizhou Provinces. It has a common boundary with Longsheng, Guilin. It was built in the Song Dynasty (about 1105 AC) and became Dong Autonomous County of Guangxi in 1955. The autonomous region, covering an area of 2,454 square kilometers, mainly consisting of the Dong ethnic tribe, which makes up more than 54% of the county's total population.
It is the capital of a Dong Autonomous Prefecture with the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomuous Region. The main reason to come to this dusty concrete town is to visit the amazing and peaceful Chengyang, which is about half an hour from here by bus.
There is good bus service to/from Guilin. Buses leave Guiling from the new bus station in the south of the town. To get there, take either bus 2 from Guilin Centre or 91 from Guilin Main bus station/train station.
Express buses run approximately every hour, and take 3 hours, with the last one leaving Guilin at 6pm. Slower local buses take 4 hours. All bus services cost 45¥ (July 2013).
There are also buses west into Guizhou. The usual traveller's route is to Congjiang then Kaili.
Buses from Longsheng take 1-1.5 hours
There is a railway station called Sanjiang County which is about 10km away from the centre of town and best reached by taxi or minibus. There are few trains but there is a sleeper to Zhangjiajie
Sanjiang is a wonderland, a mysterious region traditionally inhabited by the Dong people. The visitors who come here are intoxicated by its unique culture, buildings and picturesque landscapes. The most popular attractions are
- Chengyang Wind and Rain Bridge, (in Chengyang Village, Linxi Township of the Sanjiang Dong Autonomous County). Listed as one of the three famous ancient bridges in China. Built in 1912, this semi-permanent bridge has stone piers and wooden girders and pavilions connected by a tile-roofed corridor. edit
- Chengyang Wind and Rain Bridge Scenic Area. edit
- Bird's Nest Stadium, ""http://www.dxnc.net/ (Above the main square, on the opposite side of the drum tower), ☎ 07728562788, . A bullfighting arena with shows about the Dong minority in the evenings edit
- Danzhou Scenic Area. edit
- Dong People's Eco-Museum. edit
- Liangkou Scenic Area. edit
- Moria Cafe, Opposite Sanjiang city Drum Tower (30m from the entrance of the drum tower opposite the city square). An amazing place if you want to have real coffe, pizza, steak, spagetti and cakes. The staff were taught by an Amercian then he sold to a local but it is genuine and still good. Near the Wind rain bridge are a few places but this joint is the best in the whole area. (3 days searching to no avail, clearer location might help) edit
- Dong Village Hotel. Beautifully located at the end of the smaller of the two wind and rain bridges. Unexpectedly western comfort in a large Dong-style building with riverside balcony. Worth it just for the breakfasts. edit
There are numerous hotels on Moon Street down the hill from the Drum tower, which offer large rooms overlooking the river and both bridges. Double rooms (two double beds) cost around 80-100¥ in high season (July 2013). There doesn't seem to be any hostels in Sanjiang, making it an expensive place to stay if you are alone.