San Juan del Norte is a small town in Rio San Juan department of Nicaragua.
San Juan de Nicaragua (a.k.a. San Juan del Norte or Grey Town) is a small port town of 1500 people, on the Caribbean coast of (south-east) Nicaragua.
La Costeña has regular flights to the Greytown Airport about 15 minutes by boat from San Juan Del Norte. You can also arrange a private charter from Costa Rica through the Rio Indio Lodge.
Earlier there were boats between San Juan del Norte from Bluefields once a week (on Wednesday 8 am). The boats haven't been running for years. The boat trip was known as dangerous, and it was not recommended for tourists.
You can get there as well from San Carlos with a 6 h boat (fast one, slow one 11 h) which leaves San Carlos Tuesday, Thursday and Friday at 6 am.
La Costeña now has two flights per week, en route with Ometepe, and San Carlos
Managua - San Juan de Nicaragua (Greytown) - Managua and Managua - San Carlos (Rio San Juan) - Managua (Thursday and Sunday).
Future plans are to connect San Juan del Norte with Puerto Limon and Tortuguero in Costa Rica.
By boat, there is no road in or out, all communication is done by water either in canoes, slow boat, fast boat, or fishing boat. Some tourist come by private boat from Boca de Sabalos, Montecristo River Lodge El Castillo or San Carlos on a fishing expedition or just for birding and a great nature wild life tour.
- Blue lagoon (natural swimming hole.). A small lagoon between rio Frio and the Caribbean sea, a place to go camping or swimming , you could walk to the ocean, carry a machete to clear your path. edit
- The old historic cementery (Where Greytown used to be), Near the new airstrip (Take a boat ride). In the Gold Rush era, Graytown was a booming town, and it cemetery was segregated by religion, country of origin and economic status. Some wealthy families came through here edit
- Sport fishing (Caribbean sea and lagoons). (,You can rent local pangas to take you fishing or go a nice boat rental at rio Indio Lodge (expensive) if you go with a local panga it may be best to bring your own gear. You may also go fishing with Montecisto´s boat from [[Boca de Sabalos]]) edit
- Birding & Nature tour (Local guide). Go deep into the rain forest on small boat in Rio Indio and Rio Maiz, go explore we not to many people has been. One of the most remote places left in Central America. edit
- Canoe & kayak tour (160 Km Montecristo to San Juan del Norte), Camping at various location, ☎ 505 86499012, . Montecristo River Lodge organize canoeing and kayaking tours from Boca de Sabalos. Is a 5 days, 4 night camping fishing expedition. $350.00 per person, if you want the guide to be your cook add $100.00 edit
- All Inclusive Sport Fishing or Eco Tours (The Rio Indio Lodge), Full service excursions including a guide, all meals, equipment, lodging and a free rum bar!!, ☎ 506-2231-4299, . The Rio Indio Lodge All Inclusive packages for 5 days, 4 nights and 3 full days of fishing as of May 1, 2016 Anglers – $2950.00 / Non-Anglers – $1,395. ("10°55'50.62"N",") edit
There are a couple of good lodging options in San Juan Del Norte. For the budget conscious you might consider Hostal Familiar Buen Amigo. Marta, the owner, chef and housekeeper is a force of nature. She takes care of everything and everyone. Beloved by the community and cherished by her guests. Her rooms are basic with clean private baths, spotless and comfortable. The food is very good local fare. Great place to meet locals and enjoy the views of the Rio Indio. Price for a double room with private bathroom was $15. A boat to the airport costs $10 per person.
For the most luxurious, but expensive, lodging option, try Rio Indio Lodge. It's a five minute boat ride from the the airport.