San Juan is the capital city of San Juan province, in the central-west Cuyo region of Argentina.
The city of San Juan is located in a fertile valley within a rocky mountainous area. Winter temperatures are generally mild, between 1 °C and 18 °C, while summers are hot and very dry, with temperatures between 25 °C and 40 °C.
Since very little rain falls in the region, the San Juan River has been dammed to provide a regular source of water to the city. The resulting reservoir is located in Ullum, and is known as the Quebrada de Ullum Dam. The dam also provides electrical power to the region.
Sixty-five percent of agricultural production is related to wine production.
The city of San Juan completely changed its appearance from a colonial one to one of the most modern in the country after the earthquake of 1944, with well-drawn and wide paved streets, ample paths with mosaics, and forests of bananas, moreras and paradises irrigated by channels (small drains).
- San Juan Airport (Domingo Faustino Sarmiento Airport), RN20 Km 12, San Jose, San Juan, Argentina (14km from San Juan), ☎ +54 264 425 4133, . San Juan Airport IATA Code: UAQ. Airport is located 15 kilometers from the city in the Department 9 de Julio, more precisely in the village of Las Chacritas carried that name until recently. This airport serves the airlift from San Juan was the city of Buenos Aires. ("31°34'18.70"S","68°25'23.00"W") edit
The optimal bus search is on website.
Public transport long distance is addressed in the modern Bus Terminal, tel.+54 264 422 1604 with more than 6,000 sq metres over the area of platforms and platform of about 4,000 sq metres or so. Holds hall waiting for the local administration, ticketing, information office, police, first-aid room, telephone booths, shops, restaurant, kitchen and sanitary.
The city has a modern infrastructure such as highways Avenue Beltway, and the South Access among others. This avenue has been within the urban perimeter, which is why a project is the construction of another ring covering the entire city. This might be termed as the Orbital motorway or dual carriageway, and that his movement will take the form surrounding the Great San Juan, as an orbit, preventing access by large trucks carrying inside the city. It also calls for tenders for the project through another rapid called South Corridor connecting San Juan (center) with the southern suburbs.
The urban public transport passengers from the City of San Juan consists of bus lines marked with numbers and letters (19 or 26A), linking the city centre with the various neighborhoods and the rest of the Great San Juan. In May 2008, the minimum cost of the ticket is A$ 1.30. The city also has taxi service and remises.
The city is located within the Capital District, the plot of the same one is developed in form of draws into squares checkerboard forming a boundary by the streets Las Heras (that runs from North to South), 25 de Mayo (runs from East to West), 9 de Julio (runs from east to west) and the Guillermo Rawson Avenue (runs from north to south). These four avenues form a perfect rectangle made up of 16 blocks wide (going from east to west and vice versa -horizontally-) by 10 blocks long (going up and down or North to South and vice versa). This rectangle, in its interior conforms a square of 7 blocks of length by 6 blocks of wide, that is \"microcentro \", delimited by four avenues and are the Avenue Leandro N. Alem, Cordoba Avenue, Avenue Libertador San Martín and Avenida Rioja. This area is considered to be the most densely populated and possess a great amount of tall buildings; it concentrates most of the commercial, financial and institutional activities.
The most important East/West streets are Mitre, Central Jose Ignacio de la Rosa, Santa Fe, Rivadavia, and Libertador San Martin. Mitre runs Eastbound, and features cyber cafes and movie theaters. The Central Avenue was build after the 1944 earthquake, and it runs both ways without a boulevard. Santa Fe runs Westbount, has a lot of bus lines through it and shows much commercial activity. Rivadavia, running Westbound, also has much commercial activity with the two blocks between Rioja and General Acha transformed into a pedestrian mall. Libertador San Martín Avenue, running West-East in both directions, has a boulevard; traffic is intense with multiple public bus lines using it for their main cross town route.
The most important North-South streets are Entre Rios (Northbound), Mendoza (Southbound), General Acha (Northbound), y the Avenida Rioja (North-South with boulevard). All connect the city with the North and
- Aberastain seat. He was lawyer and the Governor of the province. This seat this taken care of very well and is characterized by its permanent hygiene and in the center is the statue of Aberastain. edit
- Casa Domingo Faustino Sarmiento. Located in the intersection of Libertador General San Martín Avenue and Sarmiento street. It was the first historical monument declared in our country, 1910. In this house it was born the illustrious educator and president of the republic, Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, the 15 of February 1811. At the present time it has 9 rooms, in which relics, furniture, commemorative photographs, medals, periodicals and books written by Sarmiento in its original collections, can be admired. In the central patio of the house one can find a sprout of the famous fig tree and a replica of the historical loom of Doña Paula, his mother, whom Sarmiento mentions in his book "Recuerdos de Provincia". edit
- Cathedral. Work of the prestigious architect Daniel Branches Strap, was inaugurated the 16 of December 1979. The bell tower is a needle of 51 meters of height from its foundations with a viewpoint to 33 meters of the ground. It has a Big-Ben clock and a German carillon that rings every 15 minutes, accompanies the daily life on the city. To the temple it is acceded by a bronze vestibule worked in Faenza (Italy) with bas-relief of Santa Rosa of Lima, San Luis king of France, the Santiago apostle, Santa Ana and several shields and emblems. In the basement of the church is the cripta, the pantheon of the bishops and the chapel of Right Fray Santa Maria of Gold. edit
- Mariano Gambier Archeology museum (Museo Mariano Gambier), RN 40 (entre Progreso y Calle 5), J5425 Rawson, San Juan, ☎ +54 264 424 1424 ([email protected]), . It concerns itself with the many cultures that inhabited San Juan from Pre-History till the arrival of the Spaniards in 1560. It has a priceless collection of Indian artifacts, cave paintings and other elements of agriculture and life in the Tulum valley from the last 8500 years. edit
- Museo Santiago Graffigna, Colón 1342 norte (take the bus 12A from the center (calle Libertador/Tucuman)), ☎ (54) 264 4214227. 9am - 5:30pm. Visit the 140 years old Graffigna winery with a dégustation at the end of the tour. free. edit
- Museum Amid Read - House of the Tango Carlos Gardel. This museum is located on General Mariano Acha street between Brazil and Manuel Belgrano streets, with displays and videos about The tango and its evolution in the 20th century. Conferences, discussions, classes of Violin and Bandoneón are among the activities conducted here. edit
- Museum of Fine arts Franklin Rawson - Historical Provincial Museum Agustín Gnecco, . Located in the intersection of General Paz street and G. Rawson Avenue. There one finds a valuable patrimony of paintings and sculptures, engravings and drawings of the greatest national masters. In the second one are outlined elements related to the fashion of the XVIIIth and XIXth century, Creole silverwork (silver), collection of numismatics and philately. edit
- Parque de Mayo (Park of May). In May 1910, when commemorating the centenary of the May Revolution, this green space is inaugurated. This lung of the city is in the intersection of the streets General San Martín and Heras. It has games for children, an artificial lake with an island, fish and aquatic birds, a cycling circuit, karting facilities and lots of statues. edit
- Peatonal Tucumán and Rivadavia. Are the most important strolls of the city, where the commercial activity is mostly concentrated. They are wide, nicely decorated with trees and other motifs, is most-go for the sanjuaninos and tourists alike. edit
- Seat 25 of May. Is the main seat of the City and constitutes a green space of colorful characteristics, also are the statues of Domingo Faustino Sarmiento and Right Fray Santa Maria de Oro with more than 100 years. The central source, that dates from year 1871, was remodeled on several occasions. The toads extractors are work of the sculptor Miguel Sugo Angel. edit
- Bicentennial Theater, . This impressive theatrical space produces artistic shows of great importance from the one of the best stages in the world. edit
- Climbing, . Try the varied rock climbing across Colorado mountains. edit
- Complejo Auditorio Juan Victoria, . The Juan Victoria Auditorium offers artists and listeners an unbeatable setting, where the most outstanding national and international artists have performed on this important stage. edit
- Crossing onto Chile. There is crossing from San Juan into the various Chilean destinations awaiting on the other side of the Andes. The trip goes through the Agua Negra pass and it is one of the highest border crossing in the Andes (about 4,784 meters). edit
- Festival of the Sun (Fiesta National del Sol), . Festival of the Sun invites an encounter with the identity and i uniqueness of the Sanjuanins. The Feast pays tribute to the Sun, which it is associated with this wonderful land. The feast symbolizes the end and beginning of the annual cycle with the arrangements starting from the 21 June. edit
- Hiking. This activity takes no longer than one day, in the mountain ranges of the pre-mountain range near our city, without having to go too far, there are places with a unique beauty. edit
- Horseback Riding, . Try the best Horseback Riding trails in San Juan. edit
- Kitesurfing, . A few kilometers from the city of San Juan, the best starting place is the Ullum dam. edit
- Mountain Biking, . Enjoy this sort of activity on the rugged landscape what makes it one of the best mountain biking destinations. The mountains around are breathtaking and there is so much to see. edit
- Ruta 40. The city lays on National Route 40 that connects it with Mendoza (168 km) to the south and La Rioja (449 km) to the north, and is connected to the National Route 20, that leads to San Luis (323 km). Distance to other cities: Córdoba (585 km), Catamarca (623 km) and Buenos Aires (1110 km). edit
- Skiing, . Ski resorts in San Juan Mountains edit
- Termal tourism (Termas Baños La Laja), La Laja termas, . This area has three births or springs and was used from the ancient times. Termas are located 26 km from San Juan. edit
- Trekking, . It is an alternative of a greater difficulty and recommended to take the certified mountain guide, where you can get to know the beautiful landscapes and interesting natural and cultural tourist attractions. edit
- Windsurfing. The best starting place is the Ullum dam, but Cuesta del Viento Dam is one of the best places in the world to do these activities. It is the venue for international championships. edit
- Winery tours, . There are two wine roads in San Juan, the southern route, where wines, champagne and spirits stand out are: Viñas de Segisa, Fabril Alto Verde, Miguel Más and Las Marianas. The other route is the west, where we know the history of San Juan wine, stand out the cellars and the Museum Santiago Graffigna, Merced del Estero, which is a boutique winery, as well as establishments for the production of nuts, olives and vinegar. Take tour to the Cavas de Zonda Champagne Winery one of the very specific in the world. edit
Wine is the best option in these area.
- Donatello, Balcarce 1225, J5413 Santa Lucía, San Juan, ☎ +54 026 442 53997 ([email protected]), . Restaurant edit
- El Refugio, Hipólito Yrigoyen Este, Santa Lucía, San Juan Province, ☎ +54 264 425 2106. Restaurant edit
- Parrillada la Nueva Estancia, Av. Libertador Gral. San Martin Este 1644, J5400 AQY, San Juan, ☎ +54 264 425 4025. Grill edit
- Tabletas Sanjuaninas. This is the local version of "alfajor" (a national candy in Argentina). They can be purchased in local "panaderias" (bakeries) and some souvenir shops. They usually come in two varieties: with "Dulce de Leche" (milk caramel) or Dulce de Alcayote (a mermelade made of a local fruit). edit
- Bodega Antigua Bodega, Salta, San Juan, San Juan Province, ☎ +54 261 459 7777 ([email protected]), . Winery edit
- Cerveza Patagonia - Refugio San Juan, Av. Circunvalación 502, J5400 San Juan, ☎ +54 9264 544 6265, . Bar edit
- Portho Gelatto, Lateral Este de Av. Circunvalación, Santa Lucía, . Ice cream shop edit
- Alkazar, Francisco N. Laprida Este 82, J5402 DIB, San Juan, ☎ +54 0264 421 4965 ([email protected]), . Hotel edit
- America, 9 de Julio Este 1052, J5400 San Juan, ☎ +54 264 421 4514, . Hotel edit
- Del Bono Park Hotel Spa & Casino, Av. José Ignacio de la Roza Oeste 1946, J5400 San Juan, ☎ +54 264 426 2300, . edit
- San Juan tourism office (Officina de Turismo de San Juan), ☎ +54 264 421 0004, . edit
- Ischigualasto National Park aka Moon Valley
- San Agustín de Valle Fértil can be reached with Vallecito. Busses depart 7:30 (Mon-Fri), 14:00 (daily), 19:15 (daily).
- Barreal - a village up against the Andes Cordillera
- Difunta Correa sanctuary, 64 km kilometres away from San Juan, on the route 141.
- An integral attraction to the province is its large Triassic period fossil record, believed to be one of the largest in the world.