Sainshand (Сайншанд) is the capital of Dornogovi province, with a population of 20,000.
Sainshand consists of two parts: a train station and city centre 2km to the east. There is a park at the centre of town. It is surrounded by banks, hotels, restaurants and museums. There is an Internet café (T900 per hour) in the city center (look for the grey brick building with the sign NetCom on the top).
There are two daily trains from Ulaan-Baatar. The train station in Sainshand is about 2 km from citycenter. Taxis should cost T500-700.
- MT3-286. Departure: 09.35. Arrival: 20.00 (T13200 - for 3rd class)
- MT3-275. Departure: 16.30. Arrival: 02.15
A taxi to the train station (about 2 km from the city) costs T600-1000.
The town is small and can be easily explored by foot.
- Museum of Danzan Ravjaa, . The Danzanravjaa Museum was established in 1991 in honour of the fifth Goviin Dogshin Noyon Khutagt ("Terrible Noble Saint of the Gobi"), one of the greatest and most unusual intellectuals in Mongolian history. The museum preserves and displays Danzanravjaa's original artistic works and literary manuscripts, along with his books, religious items, theatrical costumes, personal possessions, and similar objects illustrating his life and work. Ask for Gobi Sunrise tours there. Entrance T1000. edit
- Aimag Museum
- Drama Theatre
- Khamar Monastery (Khamariin Khiid), (45km south of the town. To get there, hire a private car T60.000-80.000 or minibus T15.000-20.000.), . Khamar Monastery was established in the 1820's by the famous 19th-century Mongolian educator and literary figure Danzanravjaa. The Monastery was an important centre of the Buddhist "red sect", and seat of the Gobiin Dogshin Noyon Khutagt ("Terrible Noble Saint of the Gobi"). edit
- North Shambala, (Near Khamariin Khiid.), . Near Khamar Monastery there is Shambala land and the world's energetic center. Danzanravjaa the Terrible Noble Saint of the Gobi V let all his disciples gather in the midst of many colored hills nearby the Khamriin Hiid to make proportional drawings of the Shambala Land. They created a meditation practice land with wooden stupas, a door and a heap of stones. At that place, His Holiness uttered prayers to meet with his all disciples in the Holy Shambala Land. That's why this place is known as the Shambala Land and became one of the holiest places for prostration and circumambulation nowadays. T2000. edit
- Khan Bayanzurkh mountain (Khar Uul (black mountain)). The most famous Gobi mountain. Locals call it "wish-fullfilling mountain". If time permits, locals recommend the two-to-three-hour hike out to Khar Uul (Black Mountains), south-west of town. Take lots of water - this is the Gobi, after all. edit
- White Sands Dune. One of the largest and most famous sand dunes in the Gobi desert edit
- Visit a local camel breeder’s family. Ask Gobi Sunrise.
- Sydney restaurant. 10 to 24. A restaurant on the second floor with a terrace and chicken dishes. T5000-10000 for main dish. edit
- Khumul restaurant, (five minutes south of Sainshand railway), ☎ 99110076, . 10 to 02. A restaurant that serves Mongolian and American dishes. Comfortable place with fast wifi T5000-19000 for main dish. edit
- Dornogovi, (left of maın square. Look for big round building). checkout: 6 pm. Good, but old hotel. Though the best option in town. Wi-fi in the restaurant. No hot water. Accepts credit cards. T53000-65000 for a twin room with breakfast. edit
- Gobi Sunrise (Tavan Dohoi), (20 km from town). A well-run ger camp, it has a restaurant, flush toilets and clean showers with hot water. To arrange transport to the camp, which is about 20km south of Sainshand on the road to Khamaryn Khiid, ask Altangerel, the curator at the Danzan Ravjaa museum. 10 USD per person. edit
- The hotel (twin room T12.000) near the train station disappoints. No shower, I got electric shocks using the water tap and our room got flooded. Better to go into the city.
- Crystal House hotel (Кристал хаус), (1 km south from railway station), ☎ 88000076, . Clean and comfortable hotel with English-speaking staff, Internet, bar and lounge, and a supermarket open till midnight. 20 USD per person. edit
There is a daily local train (MT3-285) to Ulaan-Baatar at 21.00.