City name is in Zemplén.
Sárospatak is the spiritual center of Zemplén and home to a prestigious high school. Once called as Athens of River Bodrog offers a wide range of historical attractions. The city's heyday was when Rákóczi family, a famous and powerful noble family ruled the region.
Sárospatak can easily be reached via M3 motorway then on route 37.
There are regular train services from Miskolc (1 and a half hour; starts in each hour) and from Budapest (4 hours; 5 trains a day).
Sárospatak is not a big city, its historical centre can easily be explored on foot.
One of the most beautiful castles in Hungary, a witness of great historical events. Exhibitions in and around the castle:
- Rákóczi exhibition: the history of the famous family is on display through the castle
- Red Tower: the oldest part of the castle, magnificent view on the city and River Bodrog
- History of Hegyalja winery: small exhibition under the castle. If you happen to understand some Hungarian or have someone to translate you, ask for the old lady (who manages the place) to tell about winemaking (she was born in the region and to a winemaker family)
- Italian bastion casemate: exhibition of defense and weapons
There is a Seige Weekend on the third weekend of July with seige plays, craftmanship dislpay, artillery display and camp muster.
The castle is open 10:00-18:00 in summers, except Monday and 8:00-16:00 in winters, except Sunday and Monday. Combined ticket (Castle+Red Tower) is HUF 2000, all day ticket (to all exhibition) is HUF 4000 (only available between May and October).
There is a café with set menus for individuals, students and groups as well.
For information please check the castle website .
- The Great Library  The library was founded more than 500 years ago together with the famous Reformed College where poets, nobles, politicians studied for centuries. The collection now contains more than 440 thousand pieces, some of them are very precious.
The library is open on weekdays 9:00-17:00, on Saturdays 9:00-16:00 and Sundays 9:00-12:00
- Castle Church One of the largest gothic churches in Hungary. Open from April to October 9:00-16:00, on Sundays 11:30-16:00.
- Rákóczi Winecellar Ancient cellar built in the 16th century, 1km long in total. It was suitable to store more than 900 barrels in one time.
- Pataki ceramics (Nagy Lajos str. 8.) Famous and popular manufactory in Hungary, its Pataki bowl (clay bowl for baking in oven) can be found in all households in Hungary. The factory was founded in 1926 and produced handmade household goods. Today the manufactory is much smaller than it was in the beginning but it still produces hand painted ceramics which are very practical and can be used in each section of cooking (ovens, gas cookers, washing machines). It is possible to visit the factory itself on weekdays but the guidance is in Hungarian. Tickets are around HUF 2000 which includes a small present after the tour. The ceramics can be purchased in their small shop for cheap; the second class products (with tiny errors) are real bargains.
- Thermal Spa Végardó Bath has outdoor swimming pools, children's pool, jakuzzi and massage pools. Open 8:00-20:00 all year. Tickets for HUF 900.
- Walking by the river Bodrog: there are interesting sculptures (both Hungarian and international sculptors' works) on the riverside.
- Kayak tour on Bodrog There are one day and multiple day kayak tours on one of the most scenic rivers in Hungary. 
- Trekking to Megyer tarn The tarn is next to Károlyfalva.
- Wine tasting There are a few winery in Sárospatak and in the surrounding villages.
- Restaurant at Hotel Bodrog Wellness  Hungarian and some wellness food on the menu
- Vár Vendéglő  Traditional cuisine
- Ristorante Collegno (Szent Erzsébet str.8., tel: +36 47 314 498) Nice pizzas
- Grill Gödör (Rákóczi str. 63.) Grilled and simple foods
- Rákóczi cellar  Winetasting is available in the historical cellar under the castle. Though the winetasting is a bit pricy (compared to the region) and touristy but the setting is wonderful.
- Evinor winery (Arad str. 2., tel: +36 47 311 946, [email protected]) Fair wine from Tokaj region, wine tasting from 8 persons.
There is a cellar street in Hercegkút (few minutes from Sárospatak) where 195 wine cellars can be found. The territory is part of Tokaj Wine Region UNESCO site.
- Hotel Bodrog Wellness  4 star hotel in the heart of the city
- Rákóczi Hotel and Restaurant (Rákóczi str.30., tel: +36 47 312 111)
- Huszár Hotel and Restaurant