Rutherford is a small town in the Napa Valley in Northern California located between St. Helena and Oakville, along Hwy 29. This area of the valley was originally owned by General Vallejo and through a series of gifts became the property of Thomas and Elizabeth Rutherford as a wedding present 1964. The Rutherfords developed a winery, which grew to be one of the best wineries of the area. Now the town is home to high quality wineries and restaurants, a beautiful location to enjoy the wine country.
- San Francisco International Airport, 650-821-8211, .
- Napa County Airport, 2030 Airport Road, Phone: +1 707 253-4300, . No scheduled service. Useful for private planes.
From San Francisco:
- Highway 101 North over the Golden Gate Bridge, to Highway 37;
- Highway 37 East towards Vallejo/Napa, to Highway 121;
- Highway 121 North towards Napa to Highway 29 North to Rutherford.
A car is recommended for getting between the various town in Napa Valley. Please do not drink and drive or wine taste and drive.
- Frog's Leap Winery, 8815 Conn Creek Rd (between Hwy 29 and Silverado Trail), ☎ Reservations: +1-800-959-4704, . Monday - Saturday 10AM - 4PM. Organic vineyard and garden, offering vineyard tours and wine tasting in their Red Barn. In order to tour or taste call in advanced and make a reservation, during the high season call well in advanced. edit
- Swanson Vineyards, 1271 Manley Ln, ☎ +01 (707) 967-3500, . Swanson Vineyards offers wine tasting by appointment only, but it is well worth making that appointment. Cirgue Tasting is $20 and their one hour Harvey Tasting is $55 edit
- Beaulieu Vineyard, 1960 St. Helena Hwy (Hwy 29), ☎ 1-800-273-5028, +1 (707) 967-5200, . Daily 10AM-5PM. This century old winery is know for its Cabernet which the founding winemaker said required the Rutherford dust to grow. Wine tasting $10, Reserve Tasting $25. edit
- Grgich Hill Cellars, 1829 St. Helena Hwy (Hwy 29), ☎ Toll Free: +1-800-532-3057, +1 (707) 963-2784, . Daily 9:30AM-4:30PM. Wine tasting: $10, Winery tour and VIP room tasting $15. edit
- St. Helena Olive Oil Company, 8576 Highway 29 (in Rutherford), Toll free: 800-939-9880, . Daily 10AM-5PM. Gourmet oils, ingredients, wine accessories, and bath and beauty products.
- Rutherford Grill, 1180 Rutherford Road, Phone: +1 (707) 963-1792. Su-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F, Sa 11:30AM-10PM. Known for its BBQ ribs and cornbread. $10-$26.
- Auberge du Soleil, 180 Rutherford Hill Road, Phone: +1 (707) 967-3111, . Serving Breakfast, lunch, dinner daily. An classic Californian cuisine menu with a prix fixe menu and two tasting menus; meat and vegetarian parings with wine. Expensive
- La Toque, 1140 Rutherford Cross Road, Phone: +1 (707) 963-9770, . W-Su dinner seatings 5:30-6:30; 8:30-9:30. Make reservations well in advance. For weekends at least 6 weeks ahead. $49 - 88 prix fixe.
If you are looking for a bar or club head towards St. Helena.
- Auberge Du Soleil Resort, 180 Rutherford Hill Road, Phone +1 (707) 963-1211, Fax: +1 (707) 963-8764, . Elegant and luxurious doesn't even begin to describe Auberge De Soleil. Offers "private maisons" rooms, beautiful view and romance.
- Rancho Caymus Inn, 1140 Rutherford Road Phone: +1 (707) 200-9300, Email: [email protected], . Nestled in the idyllic hamlet of Rutherford in Napa Valley, Rancho Caymus Inn is a historic boutique hotel unlike any other in wine country. Spanish-hacienda vibes and amazing proximity to Napa Valleys best wineries and restaurants.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!